Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton Christmas Market/Festival

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Dude, your heading down a one way track too, bear pit town, with a comment like that….

Das is rubbing his hands as we speak, and will be throwing his net very soon, hoping to drag you in….

You mention Christmas and they’ll throw you in the bear pit :lolol:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20211211-235731_Photos.jpg
If you want a decent Christmas market, go to the one at Waddesdon Manor.
We've got partridge for Christmas, complete with shot :lol:
Lots of local produce with a fantastic back drop.

https://waddesdon.org.uk/whats-on/christmas/

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I don’t think the residents of the area think much of this shit show…..

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/19774697.amp/

Should leave this sort of thing to the Germans, they know how to put on a market full of sausages and warm wine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are some fantastic Christmas markets around the UK!

The one in Brighton this year is not one of them. In and out in 5 mins. Looks shit from the outside, looks as shit when inside. Shame, but hopefully the organisers will learn from this year next year

Local residents complaining about the noise though... Perhaps don't choose to live in one of the busiest areas of the city centre ffs...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
There are some fantastic Christmas markets around the UK!

The one in Brighton this year is not one of them. In and out in 5 mins. Looks shit from the outside, looks as shit when inside. Shame, but hopefully the organisers will learn from this year next year

Local residents complaining about the noise though... Perhaps don't choose to live in one of the busiest areas of the city centre ffs...

We need the Kings of Winter Wonderland the Mears family in to lay on a decent festival…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
we went last weekend, found it to be a mud bath, coffee vans, beer tents, fast food stands and a couple of stalls selling a few nick knacks

Very disappointing, and certainly not worth a dedicated visit or travelling from any distance

The lawns will take until early summer to recover and will probably need fencing off to allow the grass to regrow.

I thought the idea was to have a proper events space infront of the Pavilion once phase three is completed, with a solid ground, the council would have been better served waiting for that to be completed, as it is, the whole area will just start to recover and then be used again for the Brightron Festival in May, possibly resulting in it just becoming a total mud patch all next year

The council have let a private company run this, and it seems that they have got it very wrong in terms of the ratio of food/drink to merchandise. The fact that a previous poster has stated it was £7000 to have a stall for the month will have put a lot of small traders off as that would mean a huge take needed to even break even.

On the day we went, we walked through the Open market and that was full of small pop up stalls , selling all sorts of things .from homemade jewellery, to home made jams, and hand made clothing, If all of those had been in the festive market it may have been worth going to

Poor show all round I think, I hope they do better next year

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Poor show all round I think, I hope they do better next year

But they wont. The traders who sat back waiting to see what it looked like this year certainly wont be queueing up for a kiosk next year. The out of town tourists wont be returning next year, those losing a fortune on a stall this year wont be back and the locals wont be revisiting next year. It was a once in a lifetime opportunity to 'go large at great cost' but as an investment.
As a businesman, here is what I would have done
1/ 1st week in November fill all the trees down the centre of Valley Gardens with colourful lights.
2/ 2nd week in November bring in some highly decorated chalet style stalls (only 10 at this time). They must have tinsel, decorations & lights to feel Christmas has arrived.
3/ Invite traders to view the scene privately, with all the lights and feel of Christmas. Guaranteed to fill the 150 stalls you will bring in.
4/ 1st year price of £2000
5/ Limit prices. This could well be difficult or even illegal, but limit maximum drink and food prices.
6/ The fencing around the perimiter. This needs decorating with lights.
7/ Bring in carol singers to wander around. Street artists like stilt walkers and Angels. Have them perform at random places within the park as well as music from the stage.
8/ Make a loss year one as the organiser. You have a 3 year contract so make it work. Lose £500,000 year one knowing that by year three you can charge £7000 because Brighton has the biggest and best Christmas Market in England!

matey

Mar 16, 2014
Social media groups have gone to town on this from day one. One post was pulled because the OP compared it to a 'refugee camp' and someone complained that was racist.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To be fair, most Christmas Markets everywhere are a bit shite. Go to, say, Prague a week before the Christmas Market is due to open and they're furiously constructing all these flimsy plywood shacks from which to sell overpriced tat to locals and tourists alike

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here