Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 'Brighton, Brentford and Fulham'

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Do you find it a slight, being compared to the other two?

All 3 of you have done fantastically well to be where you are, on the budgets you are on. But I think style wise, Brighton are on another planet to the other two and are playing like a big team whilst those two are pure counter attacking. How do you feel about it?
No

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I would hate to think we have any fans that are that egotistical to think we are above any teams chosen style of play as long as it works for them. We have been a top quality side for about one of our 122 year history, let's not embarrass ourselves by becoming all billy big bollocks and obnoxious.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I think it is good that this season there is more than one team trying to disrupt the Big 6 hegemony. Obviously with Newcastle are their money, we might soon be talking of a big soon 7 anyway.
However, in past seasons, there has usually only been one "surprise" package aiming for top 6, é.g Leicester one year, West Ham the next, going back a bit Burnley and their one good season. And Wolves have sometimes flirted with the minor European places.
So to have 3 irregular teams all above Chelsea and Liverpool at various parts of the season has been refreshing
We can't be looking down on Fulham or Brentford as they account for 3 of our 7 defeats this season.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I'm happy with being lumped in with Albion and, less so, the Bus stop in Hounslow. Fulham have outperformed all expectations and xg and xa. We're in our slump now, but will hopefully turn it round on Saturday. We're not just a counterattacking side, we've been much more in the front for this season (except for the game at the Amex). Albion play pretty football but sometimes suffer from not being direct enough IMO. For the record, for months I've thought we'll finish below Albion, Brentford and Chelscum.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Burnley did that for nearly every season before last.
Not really. They had 2 seasons in their last 7 in the PL that were outliers as they finished 7th and 10th. The other seasons finishes were: 18,17,15,16 and 19. So two relegations and 3 relegation battles.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The biggest difference for me between us and Fulham or Brentford is that if you took Mitrovic and Toney out of their squads they wouldn’t be anywhere near where they are now.

Brighton on the other hand do not have that much reliance on one single player in my opinion.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Those 2 have done really well but we are a level above - source is my eyes 👍

It’s quite lazy to group the 3 sides together.

Not arrogant - just factual and my opinion.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Doesn’t bother me at all. I have mates who support Fulham and Brentford. It’s been nice to be able to talk about football and not be worried about relegation. Long may it continue.

Villa have done incredibly well. I hope Emery gets poached by a top Spanish club soon.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Fulham's season is now over with the Mitrovic 8 game ban, and Brentford's will also be over when the FA finally hand down the punishment that Toney deserves.

So we won't be associated with these two teams for much longer as they drift down the table.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

All 3 of you have done fantastically well to be where you are, on the budgets you are on. But I think style wise, Brighton are on another planet to the other two and are playing like a big team whilst those two are pure counter attacking. How do you feel about it?
Don't care really. Our enjoyment and ultimately our league position will be the statement on where we are with respect to other sides. Presently above Liverpool and Chelsea in the league and with a better chance of a trophy (while admittedly Bruno Lampard could still win Chelsea the Champions' league, with a strong wind and their owner forgetting the latest plan was to bring in a proven manager), isn't it?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

It isn't a slight at all. All 3 clubs have ruffled feathers and disrupted the status quo. It isn't about the respective styles, it's just 3 different, smaller clubs in contention for Europe for a change. Fulham are losing a little ground now and may struggle to keep up without Mitro. Newcastle have big resources and a sour taste and Villa are a massive club with a deep history who are picking up now. But us 3 are really a surprise bundle of 3 clubs shaking things up a bit. Happy with that.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Not really. They had 2 seasons in their last 7 in the PL that were outliers as they finished 7th and 10th. The other seasons finishes were: 18,17,15,16 and 19. So two relegations and 3 relegation battles.
This is why I never really understand people throwing Burnley around as a team seriously effected by playing in European football.
They had an unusually good season to qualify, and then reverted to their normal level. If it made any difference, it didn't show itself in their final position.

AlexBH

Nov 19, 2017
We’re 3 clubs doing better than expected- underdogs if you like. I don’t mind being the underdog- takes the pressure off.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This is why I never really understand people throwing Burnley around as a team seriously effected by playing in European football.
They had an unusually good season to qualify, and then reverted to their normal level. If it made any difference, it didn't show itself in their final position.
Yeah that euro qualification season they had a minus 3 goal difference and only got 54 points. I seem to recall a lot of 1 nil wins too. They got very very lucky.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Fulham are in a weird position - their "expected points" (based on xG and xGA) is 29...they should be in a relegation battle!
Yeh, but that mostly because of the game against us. Take that away and the xG/XGa probably has them in the high 30s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here