Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Brentford up for sale?

el punal

Is it tinpot just due to the capacity? Been there, and it has good transport links, and is pretty good as new grounds go
To get to the away end it’s in competition with Hampton Court Maze, which is just up the road. It’s a nice enough ground, but boy, I’ve never known a more complicated trek to get to the turnstiles.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I saw and heard Tony Bloom say he will leave the club to his son, with my own ears and eyes.

He may change his mind sometime in the future but it is not rumour, it is fact.
And yes so have I, but when asked the question what do you expect him to say? He knows he can't live forever so the alternatives are 1) leave it to his son/family or 2) sell it to a third party

Which answer do you think would be most palatable to fans, and then which answer is what happens in 99% of football club ownership changes? TB is a smart business man and will do the right thing by the club. Of that I am in no doubt.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And yes so have I, but when asked the question what do you expect him to say? He knows he can't live forever so the alternatives are 1) leave it to his son/family or 2) sell it to a third party

Which answer do you think would be most palatable to fans, and then which answer is what happens in 99% of football club ownership changes? TB is a smart business man and will do the right thing by the club. Of that I am in no doubt.
I think he has a strong sense of family and loyalty especially to his grandfather and uncle. Of course, he is a businessman which is why he is making sure we have a sustainable academy, selling young players to league clubs as well as for the first team.
We can be the 1% that does right, not like other clubs.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
I've seen a lot more (behind the scenes) of that ground, than most, and it is perfectly fine - but really quite underwhelming. They had space restrictions, given the size and shape of the site, but the whole thing feels rather unambitious.

I think that's a little bit unfair on them. I've been there several times now and it's a decent watch. I think they did the right thing in capacity terms. Before their decent championship seasons they were like us and getting 4-6k crowds, hard core base, but little else. I live round the corner and could get tickets for most home games right up to the promotion season and I think Griffin Park was restricted to 12k? You can still quite easily get home tickets for games outside the big 6 and London derbies. If they were ever to drop out the EPL then 17.5k is easily enough for them and still create a decent atmosphere. I'm not saying it'll win any architectural awards 😁, but for them to wedge it in that space to stay within Brentford, was nothing short of miraculous.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Does he? It's not obvious from the most recent confirmation statement I can find:

View PDF Confirmation statement made on 14 August 2022 with updates - link opens in a new window - 7 pages
I suspect it’s options that haven’t crystallised

I have options in my employer that are worth nothing pre event and not registered anywhere.

They would be exercisable on the company floating on the stock exchange or sale. Even then I’d only get the difference between the strike price that I offered at and the current value.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I think he has a strong sense of family and loyalty especially to his grandfather and uncle. Of course, he is a businessman which is why he is making sure we have a sustainable academy, selling young players to league clubs as well as for the first team.
We can be the 1% that does right, not like other clubs.
How do we know his son would be any good ? Look at Leicester

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Does this first sentence actually dictate that the second is true? Is there anything to stop Paul Barber one day selling HIS small stake, without the actually club being for sale?

And if he did, the most likely buyer, of course, would be Tony Bloom...
Didn’t we have this when Dick wanted to sell his shares off via his autobiography?

Turned out he couldn’t because all shares have to be offered to the existing shareholders first.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here