Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Bottle tops (again)

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I’m in Gibraltar at the moment and took in the friendly against Liechtenstein last night, combined FIFA ranking of 400!

As I went into the ground, guess what - my bottle top was confiscated! However no problem taking a beer to my seat! Ridiculous although when a 20 man brawl erupted and missiles were thrown, you could see why!

Big game against Andorra on Saturday, the last in the current stadium until it is redeveloped into an 8,000 all seater, looks very smart.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Is 20 their highest attendance?

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
There were a few hundred there. Actually quite enjoyed it! The team all stand and face the Rock for the National Anthem, which was nice. Officials from Kuwait, no doubt they will be given one of the World Cup semi finals!

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Bigger turnout tonight for the 1-0 win against Andorra, I’d say around 2,500 which isn’t bad for a nation of 36,000. Last game at the stadium for at least a couple of years, they’ll be playing at Faro while the Victoria Stadium (that resembles Withdean) is knocked down and rebuilt.

On another note, I was talking to one of the rugby guys down here and he said that Gibraltar have been blocked from joining the European Rugby league and federation by …. you’ve guessed it …. Spain, who apparently are quite influential at that level. As a result they are in limbo. Spain apparently have a rule that requires every application by any Gibraltar sports team to join an international federation to be blocked. Gibraltar Rugby are trying to appeal it and the hearing will be decided in Jan but it’s by no means guaranteed what the outcome will be.

It’s incredible how many different ways Spain have found to make life difficult for Gibraltarians, from attacks and sieges in yesteryear just after having signed the peace treaty/ies to closing the border for 16 years under Franco and now the attacks are more subtle but are still going on on a daily basis on a cultural and political level. Maybe we should press our claim for Menorca that was ceded to Britain twice in the 18th century at the same time as Gibraltar, or point out the hypocrisy of Spain‘s 2 North African enclaves both claimed (though less forcefully it seems) by Morocco?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Spent absolutely loads of work time in Gib over the years, they hate the Spanish and want to remain ‘British’, and the Spanish know that……..difference with Menorca is that it isn’t basically a small town physically connected to Britain unlike Gib and Spain, so can kind of see their point to a degree (like Argentina and the Falklands perhaps).

My best memories of Gib are going to meet the head of the Financial Services Commission, because (as he was very proud to point out) his PA was a former Miss World contestant 😍

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Spent absolutely loads of work time in Gib over the years, they hate the Spanish and want to remain ‘British’, and the Spanish know that……..difference with Menorca is that it isn’t basically a small town physically connected to Britain unlike Gib and Spain, so can kind of see their point to a degree (like Argentina and the Falklands perhaps).

My best memories of Gib are going to meet the head of the Financial Services Commission, because (as he was very proud to point out) his PA was a former Miss World contestant 😍

One highlight of my trip there was that I did get to see the current Miss Gibraltar, she walked straight past me at an event I went to wearing her sash!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I’m in Gibraltar at the moment and took in the friendly against Liechtenstein last night, combined FIFA ranking of 400!

As I went into the ground, guess what - my bottle top was confiscated! However no problem taking a beer to my seat! Ridiculous although when a 20 man brawl erupted and missiles were thrown, you could see why!

Big game against Andorra on Saturday, the last in the current stadium until it is redeveloped into an 8,000 all seater, looks very smart.
Was that the Barber of Seville taking a holiday?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here