Boris Johnson Evicted From City Hall Meeting

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Great supine proto-plasmic invertebrate jellies.:clap:

Mayor of London Boris Johnson has reacted with anger after the London Assembly rejected the chance to quiz him about his budget.

Mr Johnson had been due to be questioned by Assembly members on his £16.5bn budget for the capital in a session at City Hall.

But they voted by 16 to eight in favour of not scrutinising his decisions for 2013/14, leaving the politician incredulous.

He said: "They have no questions. They don't want to scrutinise. Are you saying they are abdicating their duty to scrutinise me?

"Are you saying they haven't the guts to put questions to me? Great supine proto-plasmic invertebrate jellies.

"That's it? They don't want to ask any questions."

Assembly chair Jennette Arnold battled to continue the meeting as Mr Johnson muttered his protests while he gathered his belongings and walked out.

The budget, which has sparked controversy for proposing to axe 12 London fire stations and cuts to police spending, was later approved unamended.

Mr Johnson said in a statement: "It is vital that we boost economic growth and create the jobs that we need to help lift this city and country out of our current economic difficulties.

"Businesses will only want to invest here if they see us offering the best quality of life for a major world city.

"That means building more houses, making London safer and continuing with crucial infrastructure projects like the upgrade of the Tube and Crossrail - delivering value for money, whilst making London safer and ensuring that we have emergency services that we can continue to be proud of is one of my key priorities."

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I think the Labour Group on the London Assembly need a new strategist. The one they have at the moment seems to have lost the plot. Or have I missed something?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Great supine proto-plasmic invertebrate jellies.:clap:

Mayor of London Boris Johnson has reacted with anger after the London Assembly rejected the chance to quiz him about his budget.

Mr Johnson had been due to be questioned by Assembly members on his £16.5bn budget for the capital in a session at City Hall.

But they voted by 16 to eight in favour of not scrutinising his decisions for 2013/14, leaving the politician incredulous.

He said: "They have no questions. They don't want to scrutinise. Are you saying they are abdicating their duty to scrutinise me?

"Are you saying they haven't the guts to put questions to me? Great supine proto-plasmic invertebrate jellies.

"That's it? They don't want to ask any questions."

Assembly chair Jennette Arnold battled to continue the meeting as Mr Johnson muttered his protests while he gathered his belongings and walked out.

The budget, which has sparked controversy for proposing to axe 12 London fire stations and cuts to police spending, was later approved unamended.

Mr Johnson said in a statement: "It is vital that we boost economic growth and create the jobs that we need to help lift this city and country out of our current economic difficulties.

"Businesses will only want to invest here if they see us offering the best quality of life for a major world city.

"That means building more houses, making London safer and continuing with crucial infrastructure projects like the upgrade of the Tube and Crossrail - delivering value for money, whilst making London safer and ensuring that we have emergency services that we can continue to be proud of is one of my key priorities."

:shrug:

I think the Labour Group on the London Assembly need a new strategist. The one they have at the moment seems to have lost the plot. Or have I missed something?
What you seem to have missed is that the absence of a Tory assembly member from the chamber meant that the combined opposition to Boris (Labour, Lib Dem and Green) had enough votes to be able to reject his budget in its entirety, provided they could take a vote before the balance of numbers changed.

Unfortunately from the point of view of Labour, Lib Dems and the Greens, the late-running Tory turned up, just in time to scupper what had been a rather clever plot.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
What you seem to have missed is that the absence of a Tory assembly member from the chamber meant that the combined opposition to Boris (Labour, Lib Dem and Green) had enough votes to be able to reject his budget in its entirety, provided they could take a vote before the balance of numbers changed.

Unfortunately from the point of view of Labour, Lib Dems and the Greens, the late-running Tory turned up, just in time to scupper what had been a rather clever plot.

I'm sure the Chair counted the votes as 16-8. Which in effect means Boris's Budget was passed by the Labour Group.
Just listened again, ninth Tory member still missing. :shrug:

Dandyman

In London village.
Absolute Joke of a Mayor - appoints crooks, slashes vital resources, presides over never ending fare rises, has done zilch for the London economy. No wonder he's in the running to be the next Ian Duncan Smith.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
how can closing 12 (TWELVE!) fire stations be seen as creating jobs?

If only the Greens were in overall control of the London Assembly , they would be able to put a positive spin on it :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports