Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Boo gate.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I don’t agree with booing as such but nothing annoys me more than when codswallop merchants outside of clubs criticise fans who watch week in week out booing, like I say I don’t agree per-say but I would say those people expressing their displeasure have the right to, our home record a lot of the time under Potter was atrocious.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
It is amazing how often it is brought up in a wildly exaggerated way, and yet each week other teams get heavily boo'd off the pitch and not a word said.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
All Potter had to say was I feel the fans frustrations. We now know he has an ego the size of a house and only cares about Graham Potter which is quite funny considering Swansman said the world needs people like Graham Potter :facepalm:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That article is no better than the ones accusing Brighton fans of booing Potter.

"What will happen if Chelsea are chasing an equaliser away at Bournemouth and Potter opts for one of his whacky out-of-the-box solutions, putting Mason Mount at left back? Albion fans went through such decision-making on a regular basis. "

Er, no we didn't. That is pure bollocks.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
That article is no better than the ones accusing Brighton fans of booing Potter.

"What will happen if Chelsea are chasing an equaliser away at Bournemouth and Potter opts for one of his whacky out-of-the-box solutions, putting Mason Mount at left back? Albion fans went through such decision-making on a regular basis. "

Er, no we didn't. That is pure bollocks.

You could argue Gross at LWB is the equivalent of putting Mason mount there?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
At last, one report about our, apparent serial booing of Potter that gets it right. Well worth a read.

https://www.90min.com/posts/brighto...tter-needs-thicker-skin-to-survive-at-chelsea

Do you speak for everyone that booed, or did you boo at the end of the Leeds game yourself. Also, where has serial booing come from?

Do you know for certain, like the author seems to, that the boos were just borne out of frustration and not aimed at the team or Potter?

Clearly you are one of those who want Potter to fail at Chelsea, so he can really get to understand what being booed feels like.

For me, I really hope he does well at Chelsea and goes on to have a long and illustrious career, possibly even managing England at some point. I don’t care how well other teams do, but just hope we can do better.

Actually that’s a lie, I would quite happily see Gillingham relegated to The National League, but that’s another story!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Potter said after he game that there would be games where the team deserved to be booed but that the Leeds game wasn't one of them. When the team (or at least certain players) were booed in the dire Sheffield FA cup game, he made no comments about it. Maybe after the Leeds game he thought Brighton fans would have skin thick enough to accept his honest opinion but as we're still discussing this like 10 months later, he obviously misjudged it.

Anyway, what happened was:
- Some supporters booed. Far from everyone or even the majority.
- Graham Potter made a comment about it like five minutes after the game.

Somehow people like to pretend that both of these things are a big deal and use it as a weapon against either the Brighton fans or GP, depending on what mood people are in.

Maybe, just maybe, it would be sensible for everyone just to let it go.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Potter said after he game that there would be games where the team deserved to be booed but that the Leeds game wasn't one of them. When the team (or at least certain players) were booed in the dire Sheffield FA cup game, he made no comments about it. Maybe after the Leeds game he thought Brighton fans would have skin thick enough to accept his honest opinion but as we're still discussing this like 10 months later, he obviously misjudged it.

Anyway, what happened was:
- Some supporters booed. Far from everyone or even the majority.
- Graham Potter made a comment about it like five minutes after the game.

Somehow people like to pretend that both of these things are a big deal and use it as a weapon against either the Brighton fans or GP, depending on what mood people are in.

Maybe, just maybe, it would be sensible for everyone just to let it go.

The main point is that the booing has been used by people outside the club to justify Potter going to Chelsea, and I have not read anything apart from this article to dispute that.The booing on the day wasn’t that bad, and as the article says, we’ve all heard a lot worse from other teams. It gets on my tits that, like poo gate, the truth of what happened has been completely twisted, and is now accepted and used as a stick to beat the club.

boik

You could argue Gross at LWB is the equivalent of putting Mason mount there?

Even Burn at LB/LWB was seriously questioned. I remember playing Welbz and Maupay as wingers with Trossard in the middle was also questioned by quite a few. He may have p!ssed us of but he was genuinely innovative and imaginative at times, and it mostly worked.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Potter got that badly wrong IMO, and effectively created an issue where there wasn’t one. Just as well the fans weren’t inside the stadiums when we couldn’t win at home.

All fans boo, some more regularly than others.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Thought it was a decent perspective for the non-Brighton fan on that incident. The media keeps churning it up like that TalkShite clip recently.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
The main point is that the booing has been used by people outside the club to justify Potter going to Chelsea, and I have not read anything apart from this article to dispute that.The booing on the day wasn’t that bad, and as the article says, we’ve all heard a lot worse from other teams. It gets on my tits that, like poo gate, the truth of what happened has been completely twisted, and is now accepted and used as a stick to beat the club.

Why does GP need "justification" to go to Chelsea? He was offered a job at higher salary with a club likely to be in top six most seasons. I don't like that he took all others with him but they made their choice.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Even Burn at LB/LWB was seriously questioned. I remember playing Welbz and Maupay as wingers with Trossard in the middle was also questioned by quite a few. He may have p!ssed us of but he was genuinely innovative and imaginative at times, and it mostly worked.

Burn really isn't a LB/LWB. He was useful as an out ball in that position but his crossing was appalling (check his stats) and if he had anyone quick against him he got roasted - see Adama Traore. He was a makeshift because we hadn't found Cucurella at that point.

Where I will give GP credit is that he stuck with it and improved Burn in that position to the maximum of his limitations, to the point where Smeddie was able to use Burn at LB against us this season.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Thought it was a decent perspective for the non-Brighton fan on that incident. The media keeps churning it up like that TalkShite clip recently.

The author is a Brighton fan.
But agree it is a spot on perspective.

GP will need to learn to ignore the boos that will be coming his way.
There is already a sizeable chunk of Chelsea fans who aren't pleased at his appointment.
He can't afford to challenge their understanding of the club's history.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Why boo?

He was an employee, as were the rest of his coaching team, they chose to leave, "the King is d........" err maybe not the most apt phrase at the moment....

As it turns out that day I'm in Harry Blooms resturant with Peter Bonetti's brother Phil as one of my guests, hows that going to look when the teams come out when I'm stood next to my mate and guest and start behaving like an Chimpanzee?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Do you speak for everyone that booed, or did you boo at the end of the Leeds game yourself. Also, where has serial booing come from?

Do you know for certain, like the author seems to, that the boos were just borne out of frustration and not aimed at the team or Potter?

Clearly you are one of those who want Potter to fail at Chelsea, so he can really get to understand what being booed feels like.

For me, I really hope he does well at Chelsea and goes on to have a long and illustrious career, possibly even managing England at some point. I don’t care how well other teams do, but just hope we can do better.

Actually that’s a lie, I would quite happily see Gillingham relegated to The National League, but that’s another story!

What a load of bollox.

Personally, I have never booed a Brighton team, and I saw us lose to Walton and Hersham, and Leatherhead. Most Albion fans comments on the booing that day against Leeds have said it was in response to the result and/ or the impotence in front of goal, again. To batter a team for 90 minutes and miss over 20 shots is frustrating, more so when it was one of a series of games where it happened.
My way to show displeasure at the team is I don’t clap them off if the display is particularly awful( see Bournemouth 0-5)

To say I “ clearly “ want Potter to fail is nonsense, I really couldn’t care less about Chelsea, I admit, I don’t like them as a club, but I dislike both Manc clubs, dirty Leeds , Palace obviously, Orient, Cardiff and Pompey a lot more.

My overriding emotion about Potter leaving is disappointment with Bruno and Ben Roberts, not the fact they have left, but that there has been no statement from them . It makes Bruno’s video and previous comments about the club look very cynical.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
At last an article that puts a different slant on ‘events’ and states the facts over the level of “booing”…the first after many incidents of media misreporting that has continued even recently.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Does it mean that other clubs are fully entitled to have booing fans - ManU had quite a lot at first match of the season and West Ham were probably even louder two weeks later

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here