Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Bono - 60 songs that saved my life

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I don't use any of those platforms so can't access the list, of well....................what's next.
Oops ! just noticed it from another poster.
I really think it is upping oneself to include tracks on which you feature and as for The New Radicals, utter gash.
There are good choices there, but also a fair share of shit, just my opinion.
That said, they are his choices and not mine, so fair play to him.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting and very varied choice of songs. I’m kinda surprised at some of them.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In your opinion, but then this is 60 of Bono’s....and it’s the songs which saved his life; he’s not saying it’s their best song. Jesus...I’m defending Bono. These are definitely strange times we live in
Nah Bono is wrong!!!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Bono needs to go through his vinyl collection again.

New Order-True faith.........seriously-all the stuff they have done and that stuck out....WTF

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

New Order-True faith.........seriously-all the stuff they have done and that stuck out....WTF

As an edgy pop/dance song (which is what U2 were doing for a bit) True Faith is pretty much perfect though.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

New Order – True Faith
Dear Orders, new or old,
And how is this possible… very unsettling if you’re a singer. Not only can the band continue with the guitar player on mic, you reinvent rock’n’roll with classic understatement and a rhythmic propulsion that will soon make Manchester’s dance inferno a global firestorm with its digital/analogue crossover… Balearic beats, a rave scene with a mad mix of Manc and Spanish accents… grooves that cross oceans and enter New York’s paradise garage and everywhere else courtesy of BLUE MONDAY.
But TRUE FAITH is the one for me…. it’s the belief that “You must go on. I can't go on. I'll go on” - to quote Samuel Beckett. A mesmerizing melody. Such a light touch.
“When I was a very small boy
Very small boys talked to me
Now that we've grown up together
They're afraid of what they see
That's the price that we all pay
And the value of destiny comes to nothing
I can't tell you where we're going
I guess there was just no way of knowing.”
To change the world twice, now that’s really something…
A true fan,
Bono

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
as for The New Radicals, utter gash. There are good choices there, but also a fair share of shit, just my opinion.
That said, they are his choices and not mine, so fair play to him.

Personal reasons for choosing...

New Radicals – You Get What You Give
Dear Gregg,
Glorious spirit, guileless man, there you are singing yourself out of your skin and there I was with my broken body after some bruising encounter… a New Year’s Eve with my daughter of the same name asking me to fix things as the stereo had frozen at 12 bells… silence following screaming as she and her sister Jordan waited with their friends for the funky clutch that is Sister Sledge’s WE ARE FAMILY… waiting for lift off into a seventies themed post midnight melee with big hair and big bass lines.
Then sound system meltdown… then nothing… less than nothing… the ground opened up to eat the rock star who has long longed for the moment his daughters might ask for his help but they are so accomplished it hasn’t happened until now… “can you fix this?” they implore, “of course I can” replies Daddy Uncool who thinks he can talk, kick or kiss the technology into the next year… but he can’t…
And so I swaggered on the outside, up to the decks and the vinyl, but inside I was kneeling and praying to the God who turns signal from noise for a rescue… for a mirror ball from heaven.
But no I did not receive the disco benediction or get the familial answer I was looking for, but Gregg I got your song randomly selected… a song that is so transcendent it could breathe life into any dead air…
“Don’t let go… you’ve got the music in you
One dance left, this world is going to pull through
Don’t give up… you’ve got a reason to live
Can't forget… We only get what we give”
Your fan,
Bono

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
These are ace...

Nirvana – Smells Like Teen Spirit
Dear Frances Bean Cobain,
Forgive my intrusion… you know all this stuff, but by addressing it to you I remind myself that before the internet a band could only be heard by having a record out, getting it on the radio, or blowing people away at their shows. Imagine that. You couldn’t hear them otherwise… but you might hear ABOUT them…
And around 30 years ago a wild rumour spread around Dublin about a band that had opened up for the great Sonic Youth in the Top Hat, Dun Laoghaire and torn the place apart. Everyone who was there was telling everybody who wasn’t there that they should have been there, to see this Seattle three piece incinerate the Dun Laoghaire ballroom where not that many years before we had seen The Clash and The Jam and The Stranglers. In fact, U2 had opened up for The Stranglers at the same venue.
The comparisons being made were to The Who, Hendrix, The Sex Pistols… the impossible rock greats with a punk soul and anger. Some were saying that they were the best band they’d ever seen or ever would see.
I didn’t immediately dismiss this as impossible, but I admit I found it unlikely…but people kept talking about this band Nirvana and how they were changing people’s lives and that this was happening every night everywhere they played.
When I heard SMELLS LIKE TEEN SPIRIT, it was like the hyperbole hadn’t even been half enough…it was insane, an instant classic that changed the world immediately.
What a band.
What a song.
What a sound.
What a voice.
The force that is in this music can never be extinguished, or covered up, or ignored or destroyed because it is too great.
For all its pain and anger, this is life force. Vitality. Hope.
This must be no compensation for you, but I just wanted to remember the flame that lit up so many lives.
Keep safe in every other way,
Bono

INXS – Never Tear Us Apart
Dear Tiger Lily,
Nobody ever had a better time than Michael Hutchence and nobody else ever had a better time than when they were with him.
Light on his feet and light on the head, he always appeared to be where he was meant to be. Whoever Michael was with was his current assignment and he took it on with the impish charm of a golden age Hollywood sophisticate.
Like all great charmers, he had absolutely no agenda apart from the desperate need to charm every single human-being he met. He was adored and adorable, a dancer who made others dance, a down to earth aesthete with a rock’n’roll smile, a mile wide… and A LOT of hair in the video.
Yes, Tiger, your Da was someone that everybody was happy to see… and happiness is the ultimate form of genius as we all know.
A fan once said to Cary Grant “When i see you in a movie, i wish i was you.”
Grant famously replied “so do i…”
A lot of singers know what he meant.
But the bigger the front, the bigger the back and all of that. So that’s why my favourite is this one. Another great production from Chris Thomas. On a ballad like this, Chris lets us listen to the thief steal hearts…his own. His voice and heart break at the same time. They are soulful lyrics but Andrew Faris’s melody appears from another age and leaves the whole affair timeless. And yes, what a great band the singer was in.
Bless you,
Bono

Rest are here: https://www.u2.com/news/title/60-letters-from-bono

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here