Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Black History Month-Armistice Day

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This remembrance theme really devides opinion. I won’t dignify the OP with a response to his post

On Facebook this morning there was a couple of threads that turned into a massive binfest

One was started by England Cricket and showed Lords with a lot of cricket balls on the turf and a metal soldier at rest in silhouette ( you all know the one). Anyway people came in in support leaving messages and then a few started to appear from south east Asia and some of the vitriol that appeared was just outrageous. Of course if you follow that group that is all it is to be honest. Most England fans have stopped going on there.

Secondly I am a member of a few modelling sites and again, one admin put a picture of a poppy as the banner and again, people from all over the world let rip, some suggesting that it is actually a modelling of military equipment site and not a “ let’s remember them” type site , and again some really saying horrible things mostly aimed at the Brits.

It’s really strange Hunan trait that that seems to want to upset people with the most vile stuff

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s sad people can’t shut their mouths and be respectful for just 2 minutes once a year in memory of those that died in service of their country. Given every country has lost people in such service, we’re all united by this. I remember a friend who died as such, most people aren’t able to say that. I recall the memory of others, such as my great grandfather, which is what most of us do. Regardless, it’s fitting we do and I hope we continue to for many years to come. Sadly there will always be wars, because as a species we are incapable of sorting all differences out without resorting to violence. For those who give there lives or have theirs changed forever more by the experience of war, they will always command my respect I shall always be grateful for their sacrifices. RIP Phil, thinking of you and the family today as I often do. :salute:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This remembrance theme really devides opinion. I won’t dignify the OP with a response to his post

On Facebook this morning there was a couple of threads that turned into a massive binfest

One was started by England Cricket and showed Lords with a lot of cricket balls on the turf and a metal soldier at rest in silhouette ( you all know the one). Anyway people came in in support leaving messages and then a few started to appear from south east Asia and some of the vitriol that appeared was just outrageous. Of course if you follow that group that is all it is to be honest. Most England fans have stopped going on there.

Secondly I am a member of a few modelling sites and again, one admin put a picture of a poppy as the banner and again, people from all over the world let rip, some suggesting that it is actually a modelling of military equipment site and not a “ let’s remember them” type site , and again some really saying horrible things mostly aimed at the Brits.

It’s really strange Hunan trait that that seems to want to upset people with the most vile stuff
To be fair to the OP, although it was put rather clumsily (and for which he received rather harsh (IMHO) pelters), I think this sort of stuff was what he had in mind.
Anyway, the Festival of Remembrance from the Albert Hall, and the ceremony at The Cenotaph were both superb, and thankfully weren't tainted by any of the sort of vitriol that you unfortunately found on line.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
No. No we haven't.

However, we have seen dignified wreath layings and last posts at football games, poppies on shirts, poppies on every TV presenter, just as it is every year and just as it should be.

I have and will be wearing my poppy with pride. I go to one church service a year and that's Remembrance service in Easthill Park, because my daughter is a cub and marches (and laid the wreath one year), and because I believe the sacrifice those people made is greater than my sacrifice going to a service as an athiest. And I endorse that people need to donate more than ever this year. I will miss the parade and the service.

None of that has anything to do with Black History Month. They are seperate things entirely and neither should detract from the other. In fact, there is probably a tiny overlap in their Venn diagrams as part of Black History covers those soldiers from the colonies who gave their lives for Britain.

Well said GB.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
fair play for putting that out there ....hope none of the resident , serially offended , smart arses use it against you on this or any other thread .....this board is really going through a bit of a metamorphic stage at the moment ....:rolleyes:

This isn’t the first time I’ve mentioned this, In the 20 plus years I’ve been posting on here no one has ever to my knowledge said anything derogatory thankfully, I just wanted to point out that I was looked after by the MOD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As they say you can learn something every day. Where have I got it wrong that the 1st World War ended on the 11th of November with the signing of the armistice. This day has always been Armistice or Remembrance Day. Remembrance Sunday is the official day for remembrance and services that falls on the closest Sunday to Armistice Day to remember all fallen in all wars, the second Sunday in November. Please let me know as I am interested.

The 11th November was and is Armistice Day. Remembrance Sunday started after WW2 and fixed as the second Sunday in November

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I have no idea why the OP linked Black History month and Armistice Day.

But since it's been done, let me try and make some link, with a personal story that I hope will be seen as appropriate for today.

When I was much younger I spent some time living and working in a rural area of West Africa, in an area that used to be under British rule.

I got to know many of the people in the village where I was living. Amongst them were two old men, who had served with the British army in World War 2.
After the war ended they were provided with a modest pension by the British government in recognition of their service.

But when Independence arrived (leaving the country in an utter mess from which it has still not recovered) the UK government simply washed their hands of these men, saying that the future payments of their pensions was the responsibility of the new government, which of course meant it was not paid. Ever. These old men were left destitute. Despite continued efforts, including from the UK representatives in those countries, no UK government has ever seen fit to make any effort to right these wrongs. And these old men feel forgotten and abandoned by the country they fought for. Something to reflect on today maybe, in terms of our colonial history and how we view our reponsibilites to people who's loyalty we simply took for granted.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I have no idea why the OP linked Black History month and Armistice Day.

But since it's been done, let me try and make some link, with a personal story that I hope will be seen as appropriate for today.

When I was much younger I spent some time living and working in a rural area of West Africa, in an area that used to be under British rule.

I got to know many of the people in the village where I was living. Amongst them were two old men, who had served with the British army in World War 2.
After the war ended they were provided with a modest pension by the British government in recognition of their service.

But when Independence arrived (leaving the country in an utter mess from which it has still not recovered) the UK government simply washed their hands of these men, saying that the future payments of their pensions was the responsibility of the new government, which of course meant it was not paid. Ever. These old men were left destitute. Despite continued efforts, including from the UK representatives in those countries, no UK government has ever seen fit to make any effort to right these wrongs. And these old men feel forgotten and abandoned by the country they fought for. Something to reflect on today maybe, in terms of our colonial history and how we view our reponsibilites to people who's loyalty we simply took for granted.

The UK government shat on thousands , Indians , Malays , Aboriginal Australians ......they also shat on tens of thousands of White & Black Zimbabweans in more recent times .......the UK govt are a pack of *****

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Have posted on this before,let's simply do what New Zealand a spendable legal tender coin,for me it's the ultimate thank-you. Armistice-day-coin-design.jpg

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

You cant really expect people from other countries to have the same feelings about the British army as you do though. If you take what is very much a national symbol tied to the British military and proudly show it to an international audience, you are bound to get mixed reactions.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
I don't think too many people dispute your support of Armistice Day.

However, what was the need for belittling Black History Month ?

We went hundreds of years not recognising the plight of Black people . Was there any need to compare the length of airtime afforded to each or was it just that you wanted ANOTHER thread to create a divide based on " Racial Issues " ?

Completely this.

If Black History Month doesn’t interest someone, then better to not get involved or pay attention to it rather than belittle it.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
No. No we haven't.

However, we have seen dignified wreath layings and last posts at football games, poppies on shirts, poppies on every TV presenter, just as it is every year and just as it should be.

I have and will be wearing my poppy with pride. I go to one church service a year and that's Remembrance service in Easthill Park, because my daughter is a cub and marches (and laid the wreath one year), and because I believe the sacrifice those people made is greater than my sacrifice going to a service as an athiest. And I endorse that people need to donate more than ever this year. I will miss the parade and the service.

None of that has anything to do with Black History Month. They are seperate things entirely and neither should detract from the other. In fact, there is probably a tiny overlap in their Venn diagrams as part of Black History covers those soldiers from the colonies who gave their lives for Britain.

Brilliant post! This with bells on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You cant really expect people from other countries to have the same feelings about the British army as you do though. If you take what is very much a national symbol tied to the British military and proudly show it to an international audience, you are bound to get mixed reactions.

Many people from other countries serve in the British Armed Forces. Commonwealth citizens which involve 54 countries.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Many people from other countries serve in the British Armed Forces. Commonwealth citizens which involve 54 countries.

Its a delicious irony that those who would ordinarily be ashamed at the historic injustices of British colonialism still support today, well, colonialism.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/idUSDEL284464

Those commonwealth citizens are nothing short of mercenaries, and HM Govt should not defend the country on the cheap.

That said stripping impoverished countries of fit young men is one thing, stripping them of badly needed health workers to work in the NHS is another. One thing is for sure they won’t know how to deal with overweight kids where they come from.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Fair enough. Point stands though, its not going to be appreciated everywhere. If you put it in front of an international audience, there will be mixed reactions, and that probably goes for symbols representing basically any army in the world. I'm surprised that the fella I quoted found it surprising that it was controversial to some.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
We've just spent 31 days having black history month rammed down our throats. All forms of media have highlighted music, films, shows, actors and everyone who isn't white. Coming up next Wednesday, in my mind, is the most important date in the year, Armistice Day. This remembrance day does not single out colour, race, religion or sexuality, yet it is only afforded a few weeks of low profile attention. Due to the current situation poppy sales are few and far between, which will inevitably lead to a great reduction in the funds to our service personal. If you haven't been able to donate please go on the Royal British legion website where you can donate and will receive a printable poppy to put in your window. Without our service people over the years we wouldn't have forums like NSC to air our free speech.

One of the most bizarre, disassociated posts I have read on here for some time. Either way, the BBC coverage went some way to make up for not being able to attend a service today.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here