Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bin strike in Adur and Worthing?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Initially I was annoyed with the booking system ..but with the current situation it’s made getting shot of stuff a doddle, especially as I have a van ..it would be great if they maintained the extended closure times (back to near where they were)

It was best in Ham Road, we used to go and take bikes home, strip them of bits then take the scrap back . . .built a few free 'hot rods' back in the day. when we got bored or broke them we took them back!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The whole thing is a fvcking joke. It took 3 weeks for Unison and GMB to sit in the same room together to begin negotiations.

The facts so far:

After a review of pay and conditions within the waste services department commenced in October last year a deal was agreed which would see all workers get at least a six per cent pay rise and HGV drivers would receive 12.7 per cent.
These rises made pay rates higher than many other councils and were even higher than the GMB settled for after striking in Eastbourne.
In late December the GMB contacted the Councils for the first time and threatened industrial action if they did not talk.
UNISON has a recognition agreement with the Councils to negotiate on pay and conditions across all services.
To find a way forward the Councils asked UNISON to sit down in talks with them and GMB to agree a joint recognition agreement at waste services. Only this way could the GMB be involved in pay and conditions negotiations.
The GMB at first refused to do this stating they did not see the need for a recognition agreement. This is contrary to established industrial relations practice.
After first agreeing to the meeting, UNISON officials decided the actions of GMB leadership could no longer be tolerated and made a complaint to the union umbrella body the Trades Union Congress (TUC). This is ongoing. There is clear evidence that the GMB has broken TUC rules.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The whole thing is a fvcking joke. It took 3 weeks for Unison and GMB to sit in the same room together to begin negotiations.

Mybe we should start dumping our rubbish outside the council offices ( Pond Road)

or better still, the union/councillors houses.

walking through town last weekend there's rubbish all over the place were people don't have garden and wheelie bins overflowing, seagulls have a field day. bins in town overflowing.

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

They are the "facts" as presented by the Council. The "facts" presented by the Trades Unions will be the complete opposite. Such is the way of all industrial disputes!!

However, like B&H, the Council will have to settle eventually so where is dragging it out benefitting anybody? Council options are to urgently negotiate a settlement (and not take a f*cking day off) acceptable to the TUs or "do a P&O" and sack the entire workforce and replace (hardly a feasible or legal option).

Refuse collection is one of the, if not the, most important service I receive for paying my Council Tax and the Council can't even manage to sort that out.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Took my first strike-induced trip to Worthing Recycling Centre today to get rid of the stuff that we've been accruing since the strike started. We generally only create one black big bag of waste every two weeks, but only two can fit in our wheelie bin and we were close to filling up a third.

We'd kept all glass out of our recycling bin too, as it doesn't squash up, so I got rid of that along with a pile of paper and card so we're all good for another couple of weeks or so.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I use the dog to preclean a lot of plastic food trays, to save water, and put all that is a separate bag for the trip to the top as well.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I went to the dump Monday with our wheelie bin and a couple of extra bin liners.

I've been putting cardboard separately since the start of the strike but I'm not going to go thru my recycling bin to separate everything. I just shoved them into a bin liner and into land fill. Normally I'm a conscientious recycler but routing thru my blue bin is beyond my limits.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just as everyone has been to the tip or to the set up at the Leisure Centre this week ! Good for those with disabilities, without cars etc though. Might bag up some recycling and chuck it out as that is the current 'issue' for me

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Just in time for my friday collection to be moved to next Tuesday…..how will it be normal waste next week or the week after I’ve lost track :(

They'll be back on strike by then :lolol:

Yoda

English & European
Just in time for my friday collection to be moved to next Tuesday…..now will it be normal waste next week or the week after I’ve lost track :(

Same here, 4 weeks of strike, now refuse still not collected for another 2 weeks from today. 6 weeks by the time they get round to it IF they haven't decided to restart the strike action :rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here