Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Bill Treacher RIP

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Had a very good innings at 92.

Arthur Fowler covered mental illness superbly when it was still taboo around the late eighties/early nineties by just staring at a TV screen for days on end in his dressing gown before he got up suddenly, threw down the Christmas tree and all the decorations then sank to his knees and broke down. It was pitiful to watch but anyone who has had mental health problems can identify with that situation. I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere.

RIP Bill Treacher. A true Eastenders legend.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Surprised this has had so little traction on here. Arthur Fowler was a bit of an institution in the 80's and, as @Durlston has pointed out, the mental health story concerning Arthur's breakdown was ground-breaking at the time.

RIP Bill.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Reminds me of a pub quiz question:

Where in the world is Arthur's Seat?

Everyone got it wrong with the same answer 'Albert Square'.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Had a very good innings at 92.

Arthur Fowler covered mental illness superbly when it was still taboo around the late eighties/early nineties by just staring at a TV screen for days on end in his dressing gown before he got up suddenly, threw down the Christmas tree and all the decorations then sank to his knees and broke down. It was pitiful to watch but anyone who has had mental health problems can identify with that situation. I'm sure it's on YouTube somewhere.

RIP Bill Treacher. A true Eastenders legend.
Bang on Durlston, lets hope he helped many people at their lowest? 👍

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Blimey. I was quite young then and didn't remember it being as strong as that! He was treated like a leper after stealing the money and no one would give him the time of day in Albert Square. He recovered after that in hospital and had an affair behind Pauline's back. Now gone to his great allotment in the sky. If only EastEnders was half as decent nowadays.

Years later Bill Treacher talked about that scene and how it affected him in real life. I'm glad he had a long and happy 92 years. One of life's good guys. 👏

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here