Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Big Match Revisited 03/10/1976

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Just found an episode of this featuring Brighton v Palace.
I don't really recall it but interesting because we don't seem to have a club crest on our shirts.
Was this a thing thing back then?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A classic shirt

s-l400.jpg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just thoroughly enjoyed watching us beat Palarse 3-0 back in 1981 ion the Big Match Revisited. Great stuff! Though ultimately ending in failure, I loved those halcyon years when we were in the 1st. Division - what a thrill it was to sometimes be the first team name called out when they started reading out the results on Sports Report! Such a shame we had to sully those great years by playing in second hand Chelsea shirts. Ugh!

Bad fan I know, but I have to say I enjoy watching the football played on that programme more than I enjoy watching the football played now on MOTD.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Aston Villa 2 Nottingham Forest 0 - Peter Ward on today

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Just thoroughly enjoyed watching us beat Palarse 3-0 back in 1981 ion the Big Match Revisited. Great stuff! Though ultimately ending in failure, I loved those halcyon years when we were in the 1st. Division - what a thrill it was to sometimes be the first team name called out when they started reading out the results on Sports Report! Such a shame we had to sully those great years by playing in second hand Chelsea shirts. Ugh!

Bad fan I know, but I have to say I enjoy watching the football played on that programme more than I enjoy watching the football played now on MOTD.
I think we romanticise those times because things were far less regimented. And obviously we were younger too. I think our memories are clouded really.

For me anyway, I think today is much better for football. The standard is so much higher, the pitches so much better, the experience so much safer.

There are some aspects of the football experience of yesteryear that do make me wistful. But I really wouldn't want to go back.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think we romanticise those times because things were far less regimented. And obviously we were younger too. I think our memories are clouded really.

For me anyway, I think today is much better for football. The standard is so much higher, the pitches so much better, the experience so much safer.

There are some aspects of the football experience of yesteryear that do make me wistful. But I really wouldn't want to go back.
All true - but I wasn't referring to memories. Just watching 1981 football NOW, I find it more enjoyable than watching 2024 highlights on MOTD - nothing to do with memory, just my experiences now.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
I chanced upon it today too (what a great goal by Gordon Smith by the way) and as the credits rolled, the music's composer - ?

Jeff "WotW" Wayne.

On a par with Hans Zimmer and Going for Gold!

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I loved those days but the football these days at PL level is so much more skilful. The way our players, especially Mitoma, can kill a long pass dead and lay off a pass did not happen as far as I remember. I am still in awe of some of the skills our players have these days. I never dreamt we’d ever have so many really talented players back then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here