Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] BHA v Derby County PL2. 4/4/22

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There's a three page interview with one of the stars of our u18s team - Zak Emmerson - hidden away in er, this weeks programme.
Here's the remaining u18s fixtures for Albion hidden away on er, the club website
https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/fixtures/under-18?selectteam=310&selectcompetition=-1
and fair enough - video highlights of the u18s aren't routinely available but the u18s run in the Youth Cup was on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RueNyrGmxLU&list=PLU4NF13Grb9HXwr0ijDpE1G7gxdbRuOWO&index=26

Yes, we all know the fixtures and results are listed (and that's all), but never publicised in the same way as the U23s. And, to use your own words, 'hidden away in this week's programme' - that's exactly it; we don't all get this week's programme!
Match Centre - just a list of the players, little or nothing else, certainly no match reports (that I can find anyway). Like I said, veil of secrecy!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Mainly because any better than average Derby U23 players* are playing for their first team, after the first team squad was decimated at and since the league sanctions.

*apart, apparently, from Sibley, who has always looked very promising, and for some reason Rooney doesn't fancy.

At the risk of sounding like a sour loser, I would add the players that have been hoovered up by the likes of Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea, 'kin locusts.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Its a massive step. Think we'll settle with Sarmiento and Ferguson for now.

Trossard and Maupay would score lots of goals in the U23 league.

Although I'm not sure Maupay would have scored Spong's penalty vs Derby.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
At the risk of sounding like a sour loser, I would add the players that have been hoovered up by the likes of Liverpool, Man U and Chelsea, 'kin locusts.

There will be a lot more of this now UK clubs can’t sign overseas players until they’re 18. Big clubs will be scouting youngsters from smaller clubs further down the food chain.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quite right. Derby U23 are bottom of the league for a reason.

Would that be the same reason Norwich are bottom of the EPL?

The clamour for Ferguson is impressively stupid considering recent history with young Irish strikers.
As well as all Albion history to this point!

Maybe, just maybe, instead of forcing him into games so far out of his league for a horrible side that will do nothing for his confidence, the Albion pack him off for 3 (three) season and reassess him when he's just 21 years old.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
There will be a lot more of this now UK clubs can’t sign overseas players until they’re 18. Big clubs will be scouting youngsters from smaller clubs further down the food chain.

I don't doubt that's true, it makes you wonder if there's any point, other than vanity, to the academy category system. More to the point though, the recent loss of players has been due to Derby's inability to offer contracts thanks to the punitive efforts of the EFL....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't doubt that's true, it makes you wonder if there's any point, other than vanity, to the academy category system. More to the point though, the recent loss of players has been due to Derby's inability to offer contracts thanks to the punitive efforts of the EFL....

Indeed. See also Wigan, who were picked bare by PL, Championship clubs, at their lowest point, as their arse of an administrator sold off not just the Crown Jewels, but the next generation too, for loose change. Gelhardt to Leeds the most obvious example of the youngsters (and also Jensen Weir to ourselves).

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Its a massive step. Think we'll settle with Sarmiento and Ferguson for now.

Trossard and Maupay would score lots of goals in the U23 league.

Ferguson is injured. Not played for us for a while.

As for Trossard and Maupay, maybe it would help them to score lots of goals for a change.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields

The clamour for Ferguson is impressively stupid considering recent history with young Irish strikers.

Maybe, just maybe, instead of forcing him into games so far out of his league for a horrible side that will do nothing for his confidence, the Albion pack him off for 3 (three) season and reassess him when he's just 21 years old.

Totally agree with you about Ferguson. His career need to be managed the way White's was. The last thing he needs is to be chucked under a bus. Same with Tolaj. We may have a £50 M striker on our hands.

Sima and Zeqiri should be back at the club next season. Maybe they will be given a fair chance!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Nah surely they're bottom of the league because of the manager? Or so I've been told it works.

While a loan for Ferguson next season would probably be a good idea I dont think making some odd appearances in the PL is going to destroy him. Irish or not.

Ferguson is injured. Not played for us for a while.

As for Trossard and Maupay, maybe it would help them to score lots of goals for a change.

I know but hopefully he is back soon. Think he probably would have had some game time against Norwich if he was fit and that would really have been a great opportunity for him, unlucky it didnt happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here