Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Beyond Meat boss backs tax on meat consumption

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Which is better for the environment and cheaper. Quinoa shipped half way around the world, or wild rabbit you have shot yourself?

How do you best replenish soil starved of nutrients from intensive crop growing. Is it
A) Grow unpopular crops that no one wants to eat?
B) Add plenty of Peat and Nitrogen?
C) Let animals graze someone else can eat the meat that replenishes the vegan soil.

If you want to eat meat substitute burgers for personal health reasons, or because you are against all forms of animal cruelty, these are both valid reasons. If you think everyone eating Beyond Meat burgers is only good for the environment I think you may be deluded.

Good point, I'll just pop out to Tesco and get one of those wild-shot rabbits from the local woods.

I'm a meat eater myself, but I think you might be the deluded one if you think that Beyond meat burgers are not significantly better for the environment than factory-farmed cows that have been shipped across the world, farmed on ground that has been stripped of the forest it was previously, and fed with mass-farmed soya that has replaced rainforest. Which is unfortunately what you're much more likely to find in the shops than locally caught wild rabbits.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Which is better for the environment and cheaper. Quinoa shipped half way around the world, or wild rabbit you have shot yourself?

How do you best replenish soil starved of nutrients from intensive crop growing. Is it
C) Let animals graze someone else can eat the meat that replenishes the vegan soil.

If you want to eat meat substitute burgers for personal health reasons, or because you are against all forms of animal cruelty, these are both valid reasons. If you think everyone eating Beyond Meat burgers is only good for the environment I think you may be deluded.

I assume you have actual scientific data to back this up because what you’re saying contradicts actual scientific studies that assessed 50 different plant-based faux meats concluding them to be vastly more sustainable than their meat equivalents.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

unfortunately in some views there are only negatives in the meat column and only positives in the non-meat column. nothing else is considered and many items over-weighted to reinforce the view. its not sufficient to be good for you, it must be beyond better.

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Good point, I'll just pop out to Tesco and get one of those wild-shot rabbits from the local woods.

I'm a meat eater myself, but I think you might be the deluded one if you think that Beyond meat burgers are not significantly better for the environment than factory-farmed cows that have been shipped across the world, farmed on ground that has been stripped of the forest it was previously, and fed with mass-farmed soya that has replaced rainforest. Which is unfortunately what you're much more likely to find in the shops than locally caught wild rabbits.

I wasn't suggesting that you buy rabbit, more shoot it yourself. This is an example of choosing the evidence to best fit the argument. If you are so inclined go shoot yourself some rabbit, there is plenty out there. Of course if everyone started doing that soon there wouldn't be enough to go around.

You have picked a similar point yourself, in talking about shipping factory farmed cows half way around the world (I don't know quite how you equate this with my post, but never mind). Most beef produced in this country and imported is grass fed.

If I had to take sides in this specific argument, I would say encourage people to eat less red meat, but also to eat less processed food. I would encourage people to eat a much broader range of foods and to eat more local seasonal food. Beyond Meat burgers fail on three out of four counts here, so for me they make sense as an occasional treat if that is your thing.

CheeseRolls

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I assume you have actual scientific data to back this up because what you’re saying contradicts actual scientific studies that assessed 50 different plant-based faux meats concluding them to be vastly more sustainable than their meat equivalents.

I am sure if we go down this route, you will be able to produce tons of scientific data and I won't have the time or resources to check where and how these studies were funded or indeed whether they were sufficiently peer reviewed, such is science.

If you make a list of all the pros and cons for your argument, the list of pros will undoubtedly be longer and on balance if this is a binary choice between eat meat don't eat meat there is only one winner. My point is that there are still some significant environmental factors to consider in a meat free world and a complete switch would introduce a whole new set of sustainability problems.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I am sure if we go down this route, you will be able to produce tons of scientific data and I won't have the time or resources to check where and how these studies were funded or indeed whether they were sufficiently peer reviewed, such is science.

If you make a list of all the pros and cons for your argument, the list of pros will undoubtedly be longer and on balance if this is a binary choice between eat meat don't eat meat there is only one winner. My point is that there are still some significant environmental factors to consider in a meat free world and a complete switch would introduce a whole new set of sustainability problems.

Of course, there will always environmental factors to consider with what we eat, but the science is clear. Animal agriculture is causing significant harm to our planet. To act like they, eating meat and being plant based, are equal in their environmental impact is disingenuous and scientifically inaccurate. As I said in my very first post on this thread, we shouldn’t let the perfect be the enemy of good. So, whilst eating faux meat may not be perfect, it’s a damned sight more environmentally friendly than eating meat.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
8 Asda Plant Based Vegan burgers - £1.75
10 Smartprice burgers - £1.62
10 Asda Beef burgers - £3.75
10 Birdseye burgers - £3.00

Not sure cost is the issue here, or everyone would be buying the plant based burgers surely?

Here is the mad thing though, the vegan burgers have more calories than the birds eye burgers, more fat, more sugar and more salt. Just because it's plant based, does not equate to healthier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here