• Other

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Put too many options

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Biss - I am actually amazed at how much we spent on him at that stage of our development as a club - but what an amazing piece of work by the recruitment team, to recognise this potential in such a raw young player and commit such a large fee at the time. But he has turned into arguably the best footballer we've ever had, and whilst that may not transform into a huge transfer fee, what a joy it has been watching him play, and in such a pivotal position in our team. So he wins my vote.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Per OP, Lallana left out as he was on a free.

Right at this minute, Veltman for me. Last few games he's been immense. A couple of months ago I thought he had a few dodgy games but he's come good again.

Future VFM is a completely different q.

Edit: or Gross for his past few years of keeping us up. Tough call. Gross edges it on reflection.

If future value is of no consequence, Tariq Lamptey doesn't make the list, if it is, he is top of it.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patreon
Aug 24, 2020
Value for money - at the time of buying - would be Veltman for 900k. He walked straight into the team, looking as if he had been a part of it for years.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
The best as measured by their performances for the team is Veltman or Gross. The best in terms of sell-on potential and, thus, funding team-building is Lamptey.
Sums it up nicely. I went for Lamptey if you interpret the question as “who from this list of players will prove the best VFM signing during their time at the club?”

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Groß for me.

• His goals and (particularly) assists went a long way in securing a second season in the PL, which enabled the club to kick on and recruit more bargains
• Groß turns are worth the entry fee alone
• Cost per PL minute (for those recruited since promotion) must be at the top or very near the top
• Versatility has meant longevity and he still puts in a shift when he gets the opportunity.

Veltman WAS a bargain, but it's only two million less than Pascal, who has been at the club longer, played way more games and had more of an impact in more games. The same is true for Lamptey, IMO –*and I'm a MASSIVE fan of his!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, going by some of the regular posters on NSC, none of them. They are all shit, thanks to the uselessness of Ashworth and BarberOUT. Sack the board.

My considered reply is there are far too many fantastic signings for me to decide. It has literally warped my tiny mind :mad:

Last edited:

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
For me it was between Veltman and Gross.

To get a player of Veltman’s quality for under a million is ludicrous.

Yet the pleasure of sitting on my sofa saying ‘he’s going to turn you’ to the defender naively getting too close to Pascal (and it happening again and again and again) never fades.

He brought premier league quality to our team the moment he arrived and has been central in some of most memorable victories.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Tariq, still so much potential. Our exciting prospect

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Across our full PL journey it’s Gross. He was absolutely instrumental in getting us through season 1 & then the dreaded and very REAL second season syndrome. Consistency requires I chant my same mantra “If Gross had a yard of pace he’d have 60 caps for Germany and be anchoring Klopp’s Liverpool midfield.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Imho Veltman at £0.9m.

For consistent quality, over all of 2020/21 my POTS.

Over both seasons - RB solved, can play anywhere across the back, puts his foot in, great reading of the game and he plays it simple to game-changers.

Plus, what an assist, at 2:28.

kemptown kid

Apr 17, 2011
That's quite a list. We've had a few flops, of course, but overall recruitment has been superb. My vote is for Gross over successive seasons, but Veltman for 900k was a ridiculously smart bit of business.

Wilka

Nov 18, 2003
Burgess Hill
£3 mill for Big Tariq.

He is already a very special player and he’s so young.

Veltman was a bargain but he’s not someone that some of the very best clubs in the world will want to sign. We are very lucky to have Lamptey.

Chopera

Apr 23, 2021
I voted Gross because we've already got nearly 5 years out of him, during the first 3 of which he was pivotal in keeping us up. If we get another few years out of Veltman then I might change my mind, but not yet. Similarly, if we get another few years out of Lamptey and then sell him for say 50m then he might turn out to be the best vaue (although it depends on how much of that Chelsea get). However right now, it has to be Gross because we've already got a huge return on investment.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Best VFM in terms of attacking excitement that gets me off my seat whenever he gets the ball in a yard of space - Lamptey;
Best VFM for defensive prowess against the quickest attackers in the PL - Lamptey;
Best VFM as far as potential future value and profit is concerned - Lamptey.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Gross for me. He has been instrumental in us having 5 seasons in the Prem. That's £600 mill of TV money and counting. All Tony needed was a foothold and Gross delivered in the first 2 seasons, and is still contributing. I love the guy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here