Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Best secondary rivalries

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
A subject not often talked about, this. We all know the big rivalries around the country, but rarely talk about the lesser ones. Specifically, I'm talking about rivalries between clubs where neither side view the other as their biggest rivals, but there is definitely needle there - like ourselves vs Portsmouth. It is odd that some people almost refuse to acknowledge the existence of these rivalries (I think it is a "you're not as important to us as you we are to you" kind of thing) but it seems strange when it is often trotted out that rivalries are the lifeblood of football.

So anyway, here are some good ones, starting with our own:

Albion v Portsmouth - anyone who supported the clubs in the 80s and early 90s will realise this was very real and trouble followed it everywhere. They beat us 5-1 after we led at half time, then in the pouring rain made us listen to Solent's radio coverage of the goals while their thugs lobbed bricks into our end. The 1-1 at their place that ultimately led to neither side going up when both had the chance on the final day in 1985. The 2-3 the following season at the Goldstone, the 2-1 win for us (scoring twice in the last few mins) when we were basically already down but meant they didn't go up. And then later the 1-0 flukey win for us in the cup, the season after they got to the semi. People in West Sussex know who their club's real enemies are supposed to be, but don't tell them Albion v Portsmouth doesn't matter.

Aston Villa v West Brom - Villa are West Brom's closest club, and the Hawthorns is only a mile further from Villa Park than St Andrews, so perhaps it's no surprise these two have form for mutual loathing. I think it was a rivalry long before Birmingham and Wolves were on the scene and obviously these days with Birmingham not quite at the races, and a recent play-off series won by Villa on pens, this rivalry is clearly quite stoked up.

Preston v Blackburn - separated by only 10 miles, these two are natural rivals in many ways. As it is, Blackburn look a similar distance to the east where Burnley provoke their ire (Accrington is in between) and Preston look 17 miles west to Blackpool, but again nobody in this region is pretending this rivalry doesn't matter, especially with both clubs main rivals in different divisions. Preston resent the "plastics" buying the league when they were in division 3, Blackburn doesn't like Preston's uppity ideas of itself owing to it's county town status.

There must be loads of them. Which is the best one of these:

Derby v Leicester
Chelsea v Leeds
Chelsea v West Ham
Leeds v Derby

Here is a guide, although you have to dispute some of them. For example, do Man City really view Liverpool as more of a rival than United these days?

https://www.givemesport.com/1500300...lated&utm_medium=web-view&utm_campaign=manual

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sunderland and Middlesboro

Bournemouth and Southampton

Out of the ones you've mentioned, I know there's enmity between Chelsea and Leeds, but rivalry? I think there has to be some geographical proximity, not as much as for a game termed as a derby, but they can't be at other ends of the country (in my way of understanding it at least)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sunderland and Middlesboro

Bournemouth and Southampton

Out of the ones you've mentioned, I know there's enmity between Chelsea and Leeds, but rivalry? I think there has to be some geographical proximity, not as much as for a game termed as a derby, but they can't be at other ends of the country (in my way of understanding it at least)
Neither of your two examples really count, as Middlesbrough and Bournemouth consider those two teams their main rivals.

Also, I am talking about rivalries rather than derbies. Obviously a geographical element usually contributes towards a rivalry, but not always. Leeds/Derby, Leeds/Chelsea and Arsenal/Stoke (a really surprising one, that) are examples where there is no geographical proximity contributing towards the ill feeling.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Charlton - Palace

Yeah nearly said that myself, but I'm not really sure who Charlton view as their big rivals - Millwall or Palace.

If you have to play Palace in a game that means nothing to your own side, I'm fairly sure it doesn't get better than sending them down on the last day of the season with a goal 7 minutes from time.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Didn't check the link but surely Liverpool vs United is up there.

Arguably that is the main rivalry game for both clubs. I think Liverpool fans care a lot more about beating United than beating Everton and United have always viewed the Liverpool game above Man City (or Leeds, Chelsea and Arsenal).

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Leeds vs Derby? Where does that come from..

Interesting subject I'd say West Ham vs Spurs, Man Utd vs Leeds, Us vs Pompey, Derby vs Leicester, Charlton vs Palace, Aston Villa vs West Brom or Wolves off the top of my head. Liverpool vs Man City in recent years as well possibly..

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Interesting subject I'd say West Ham vs Spurs, Man Utd vs Leeds, Us vs Pompey, Derby vs Leicester, Charlton vs Palace, Aston Villa vs West Brom or Wolves off the top of my head. Liverpool vs Man City in recent years as well possibly..

I think it's something to do with Roy McFarland.

Obviously completely relevant for the 2020's

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think it's something to do with Roy McFarland.

Obviously completely relevant for the 2020's
Yeah it goes back to the 70s, but recently reignited as they went toe to toe in the play offs, where predictably Leeds fell apart (again) and Derby's season ended in glorious failure (again).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Again I left that one because I think West Ham (as your classic yoyo club) consider Spurs their arch rivals when they are in the top flight and Millwall when they are in the league below.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brentford v QPR? They both dislike Fulham/Chelsea more right?

Yeah West London rivalry is confusing. Of the 4 clubs, only Brentford v Chelsea lacks any animosity from either side. Every other combination of the 4 clubs and there is definite hostility from at least one of the two clubs involved.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bristol C V Cardiff is a good one.

Rovers and Swansea the main ones but that one is very spicy

Chelsea v Leicester

Some good shouts there, although didn't really know about Bristol Rovers/Swansea. I'm not sure how I forgot about the Severnside derby, that is definitely a big one.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Some good shouts there, although didn't really know about Bristol Rovers/Swansea. I'm not sure how I forgot about the Severnside derby, that is definitely a big one.

Yeah I've been to Gas v Swansea and they don't like each other. Or didn't 20 years ago anyway. Or it could have just been the people I was near.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sheffield United v Forest is another good one. Lots of ill-feeling there, only 40 miles apart, directly competing in the play offs together a few years back, and all partly fuelled by the miners strike.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here