Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Best ever Rolling Stones song

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I am seeing them again tomorrow night so thought I'd post an alternative to the Beatles thread.

Very very strong field but Sympathy for the Devil for me; in fact this is my favourite ever song. Such a good groove and genius lyrics.

https://youtu.be/fXnQp8EJEvE

Jagger still has it.

Whilst I have seen them play this song live I think my favourite performance was in the small Bombay Sapphire tent at The Big Chill; a sunny afternoon anf the DJ Arthur Baker played this to close his set and had the whole place rocking including the bar staff who were up on the bar dancing....everyone whoo whoo-ing.

Awesome. Enjoy!

Oh, to answer your question…Paint It Black.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sympathy For The Devil for me because not only is it a brilliant song but it captures the zeitgeist of the time with all the political upheaval.

Honourable mentions for She's A Rainbow and Let's Spend The Night Together.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Some good songs on here.....it's an utterly ridiculous back-catalogue isnt it?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
"When you come to the end of the line with a buddy who is more than a brother, and a little less than a wife, getting blind drunk together is really the only way to say farewell."

Love this version far more than Chris Farlowe’s cover.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Can’t narrow it down to one but I’d definitely have The Last Time, Waiting on a Friend, Let’s spend the night together and Paint it black in the mix

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Can’t narrow it down to one but I’d definitely have The Last Time, Waiting on a Friend, Let’s spend the night together and Paint it black in the mix

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm going old school, this was the song that started my love of R&B based rock back in 1964, thankyou Stones!
It's live and raw but none the worse for it.

I was going to vote for It’s all over now. The first LP I ever owned was the first Stones one, 1963 or 64 at the age of 10 or 11. Exactly the same effect on me as on you.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Not sure if this is Stones or Jagger solo, but stunning guitar work from the very excellent Ry Cooder!

I’ve got it on a 3cd Stones compilation

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Another favourite is this puppy, my favourite band as a yoof was the meteors who covered this on their first album and changed the lyrics slightly
, on the album the song was credited as Fenech/Lewis (meteors) Jagger…
The stones sued the meteors in 1981 but the judged threw it out, saying Jagger had enough money from an already successful career built on the back of previous influences within music.

https://youtu.be/qUDMzhlefMs

https://youtu.be/TFrCtBpnqn0

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Just had to post these two, both from 1965,

A Jagger & Richards classic, recorded live in Ireland.

And a Chuck Berry stormer, recorded live on American TV.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Special mention for ‘You can’t always get what you want’

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As previously mentioned I saw them last night at the Wuldbuhne which incidentally was the venue of their first ever German show.

It's a big performance these days, with around 12 people on stage, but it was excellent fun and Mick never stopped moving, strutting, skipping and waving and whipping up the crowd...he literally does not ever stop. He was also entertaining the crowd with his rather camp German, and cracking jokes about the country.

Couple of notable songs for me were Out Of Time and Paint it Black..... and I never tire of Sympathy. Gimme Shelter was superb as well, especially the ending when he traded vocals with a backing singer out on the catwalk stage. Apparently they have never played Out of Time prior to this tour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here