• Other part of Brighton & Hove

Votes: 13 8.0%

• Total voters

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I remember when they added the pillars and the portico to the front of that house (maybe 20 years ago). Looked silly then and still looks silly. Certainly the most expensive area of Brighton but not where you'll get the most stylish homes.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I live off Dyke Road......they're not THAT expensive!!!!

Yes, but you live off Dyke Road to the South of the posh bit don't you. A few hundred yards north of your gaff and Dyke Road/Tongdean start to get very pricey.

Searched on Right Move for properties over £1.5m within 5 mile radius. Excluding farms (one) and hotels (two), the list looks like this:

Tongdean Road - £3.1m
Withdean Road - £3.0m
Dyke Road Av - £3.0m
Withdean Road - £2.75m
Tongdean Road - £2.5m
Tongdean Av - £2.5m
Ovingdean Road - £2.3m
Dyke Road Av - £2.2m
Tongdean Av - £2.0m
Hove (Seafront) - £2.0m
Rotingdean - £1.75m
Rottingdean - £1.75m
Hill Brow - £1.6m
Roedean Crescent - £1.6m
Rottingdean - £1.5m

Top six all off Dyke Road at the top end. Eight of the top 10 all off Dyke Road at the top end (Tongdean/Withdean Road - but not Withdean itself).

Also clear that based on what's currently on the market, Rottingdean is a moderately distant second to Dyke Road/Tongdean in terms of price.

All this is not to say that they are the best place to live. I was brought up in a small house on Reigate Road (near where HB&B lives) and it was great. Parents then moved to Shirley Drive (pre by-pass) and it was boring. My vote went for Seven Dials - my first flat was on Old Shoreham Road and I loved living near Seven Dials.

Last edited by a moderator:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Looks like an old thread , but from my experience especially coming from another country albeit many years ago , I would say Hove seafront gets my vote but not too far along , no further than the park . Wish park I think it’s called .

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
7 Dials was my favourite place to live in Brighton, Many happy memories of my 15 years on the Dials. Great pubs, nice properties, good shops, cafes, and deli's. Close to town but felt like it's own village. Only place I would ever consider living in Brighton.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Looks like an old thread , but from my experience especially coming from another country albeit many years ago , I would say Hove seafront gets my vote but not too far along , no further than the park . Wish park I think it’s called .

I only clicked on this thread to see if you had commented :)

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
7 Dials was my favourite place to live in Brighton, Many happy memories of my 15 years on the Dials. Great pubs, nice properties, good shops, cafes, and deli's. Close to town but felt like it's own village. Only place I would ever consider living in Brighton.

I lived at 7 Dials late 80s, early 90s, I spent far too much money on takeaways as there were so many choices.
The Crescent was my favourite pub.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I lived at 7 Dials late 80s, early 90s, I spent far too much money on takeaways as there were so many choices.
The Crescent was my favourite pub.

Used to live right next to The Crescent for a while. Great pub. Used to go to Tin Drum a lot as the Missus loved it. And the Goodies, pre refurb. Good times.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Funny you say that, I looked all over Btn&H mid 90's. Everything in my budget was crap, way worse then my 2 bed maisonette in Shoreham even allowing for a 20% budget hike. In 97-8 I liked a flat in 7 dials (crescent) but it had a ruined front room to make a pissy 2nd bedroom, and a big but strange flat on Brunswick Terrace. Top floor, great view, all living at the front. BT won hands down, I got gazumped 2 days before exchange.

I ended up buying a c1720 cottage in Shoreham with a garage and garden for the same money, smack in the middle of town next to the church . . . . Best move I ever made. It appreciated the same as anywhere in BTN in 4 years when I moved on.

I wouldn't dream of living in Brighton now. Shoreham town centre is now more like Brighton was 25-30 years ago.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Funny you say that, I looked all over Btn&H mid 90's. Everything in my budget was crap, way worse then my 2 bed maisonette in Shoreham even allowing for a 20% budget hike. In 97-8 I liked a flat in 7 dials (crescent) but it had a ruined front room to make a pissy 2nd bedroom, and a big but strange flat on Brunswick Terrace. Top floor, great view, all living at the front. BT won hands down, I got gazumped 2 days before exchange.

I ended up buying a c1720 cottage in Shoreham with a garage and garden for the same money, smack in the middle of town next to the church . . . . Best move I ever made. It appreciated the same as anywhere in BTN in 4 years when I moved on.

I wouldn't dream of living in Brighton now. Shoreham town centre is now more like Brighton was 25-30 years ago.

I lived in Alexandra Villas - 35 years ago!

No ambition to go back, The Seven Dials is for hipsters these days :smile:

Ferring was a village when I moved here, it’s like bloody Piccadilly Circus now :down:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I too am Shoreham. And happy to be so. Next to the church? Lovely mate.
On the Dials I first lived in a crappy basement flat on Powis Sq. Then on to Prestonville Rd

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here