Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Beating Grimsby after extra time would be a hollow victory

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Wonder how passionate our Palace rivalry would have been without that replay at Stamford Bridge?

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
This game is football at its very best. It's the Seagulls, who have taken a long and winding road to the upper reaches of the Premier League, playing a team from a downtrodden coastal town that's seen better days. If we were to lose (hopefully, there's not a significant chance of that) I would much prefer to lose to Grimsby than any of the arrogant, entitled Big Six f***ers who will probably end up winning the cup.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I agree with some of the OP's sentiment. It is horrible how European football is expanding to the detriment of domestic football. The League Cup is just a sideshow at least until the late rounds. The FA Cup is a much smaller part of the football calendar than it used to be. And regular league games are moved around to accommodate European games, while the big 6 managers with huge squads continue to whine about fixture congestion and tired players.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If Grimsby beat us in extra time, their fans will be celebrating long and hard. I fully expect you to be letting each and every one of them know that it's a hollow victory and doesn't really mean anything.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
It is 'just' a game of football. 11 v 11, at least at the start. Say there's a contentious refereeing decision (they are known!) and it becomes our 10 v their 11. Not so straightforward then. We just need to win and hopefully and very likely win well.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I never liked replays much, even in when I was young. I didn't like being in the draw as an 'or'. I'll never forget Arsenal v Sheffield Wednesday in 1979. The never ending Cup tie. Good for radio listeners.

As regards playing strongest teams. Grimsby Town probably wouldn't be here in that case. It's better for teams to take the cup seriously. But the only reason, majorly, we have upsets these days is because weakened teams are fielded. Manchester City would never be knocked out by a lower division team when fielding a full strength side. Not like Halifax Town away in 1980.

As for Wembley semi finals, I've changed on that (I know, I know....) but with the Cup as it is there is less chance of a team from outside the EPL making a final. The last was in 2008. Only three in 40 years. A semi final at Wembley makes more of a chance.

So, I'm for no replays to make the competition more appealing, now for semi finals at Wembley. Whatever keeps the famous tournament alive.

A Champions League place for the winner is what I'd like to see.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Its a shame the FA Cup is no longer quite what it was, but its still the best club cup competition on the planet. I actually prefer the no replays, it gives the smaller clubs more of a chance IMO. Say todasy Grimsby get to the end of the match with the scores tied, the chances of them beating us in a second game are much less, we can have off days, but two against the same club in a week or so?
If Grimsby do win today, what a fabulous thing for them, can you imagine way back when we were in Div 4 if we had got to the quarter finals, against a top 10 div 1 side, it would have been fabulous, and the chance to get to a semi final-Oh My Days!
Lets give Griimsby the respect they deserve for getting this far, lets hope for a cracking cup tie, whatever the result, and hopefully we can all get very excited about playing Blackburn at Wembley

UTA

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This game is football at its very best. It's the Seagulls, who have taken a long and winding road to the upper reaches of the Premier League, playing a team from a downtrodden coastal town that's seen better days. If we were to lose (hopefully, there's not a significant chance of that) I would much prefer to lose to Grimsby than any of the arrogant, entitled Big Six f***ers who will probably end up winning the cup.
Grimsby s not a 'downtrodden' town. There are a lot of nice areas and plenty of commerce and industry.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Can’t get with the OP on this one, in each competition you play to the rules of the time. Respect the opinion, but disagree with it.

I’m a Brighton supporter, we’ve had our fair share of playing well with no end result. I’ll take a flukey undeserved win over being out the cup, though I hope we’re able to do things in a way that means we all agree the result is fair.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Original post was TL;DR. I assume from the thread title that it was a load of bollocks though. Correct?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here