Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Beachcombing

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Was fishing on Dungeness beach about 20 years back, was good fishing and we were getting some lovely Dabs....as the tide receded we became aware of a large shell half buried in the shingle...was going to call the Coastguard but realised we would have to leave our spot and traipse a couple of hundred yards carrying all our gear ...decided to say nothing and show it a wide berth ..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was fishing on Dungeness beach about 20 years back, was good fishing and we were getting some lovely Dabs....as the tide receded we became aware of a large shell half buried in the shingle...was going to call the Coastguard but realised we would have to leave our spot and traipse a couple of hundred yards carrying all our gear ...decided to say nothing and show it a wide berth ..
What sort of shell was it? You say large so I guess something like a scallop? Maybe a big razor clam?

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
There was a fair few tons of timber washed ashore several years ago. That was my new garden fence sorted.
For some reason the local authorities went into overdrive to stop people from helping themselves. Twats.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There was a fair few tons of timber washed ashore several years ago. That was my new garden fence sorted.
For some reason the local authorities went into overdrive to stop people from helping themselves. Twats.
I vaguely recalled that the same thing happened twice, almost exactly 12 months apart. So I looked it up, and sure enough, there are a couple of references to that happening. The photos accompanying this news report are pretty amazing. Nice wood!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There were a few reasons why the council tried to stop it being collected firstly, it was technically theft to take it. Secondly, health and safety as the stuff was piled up dangerously in places and finally, if word had got out that there was " free " timber on the beach there would have been carnage due to the amount of people coming in to town to bag up....it wasn't very good timber anyway.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Keep a small but valuable amount, tell the feds about the rest. Criminals feel unlucky but no one thinks you have the goods. Months/years later………..

Mmm, just seen the report above, maybe not such a great idea.
I have no idea if cocaine has a shelf life, it may be shit at the end of the month 🤣

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
I once found a 'pod' of Brazil nuts washed up at Hope Gap, between Seaford and Cuckmere Haven.
Could have come down the Amazon and crossed the Atlantic.
Had no idea the nuts came in this coconut like shell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here