Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] BBC Journalist harassed

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I think those who want stricter restrictions and don’t get their way, the backseat drivers at ‘Independent’ Sage for example, get most air time.

My point is that it’s a wide spectrum of views, with the Johnson/Whitty/Vallance/JVT take on things getting a colossal shoeing from a media who thrive on stirring and looking for nay-sayers.

The media do not promote that view. They look for shite and hope it goes wrong.

First post that makes complete sense to me.

Newsnight in last couple of weeks has been loaded with “experts” bridling about 21 June being too early and how reckless Johnson has been implementing lockdowns. Now freedom day has been delayed 4 weeks it’s loaded with “experts” bridling about devastating hospitality and the coffee shop sector.

There has been an anti lockdown sentiment amongst a section of the public since the start, which in the circumstances has not been that radical or violent. Some of the pearl clutching on this thread at images of a shit stirring journo having it on his toes from 2 pissed up Herberts is priceless.

If that is the net result of the protest, happy days it was peaceful overall, we have had worse in last 12 months. Someone needs to think of the mattresses here, they’ve only just dried out after launch of GB News.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
First post that makes complete sense to me.

Newsnight in last couple of weeks has been loaded with “experts” bridling about 21 June being too early and how reckless Johnson has been implementing lockdowns. Now freedom day has been delayed 4 weeks it’s loaded with “experts” bridling about devastating hospitality and the coffee shop sector.

There has been an anti lockdown sentiment amongst a section of the public since the start, which in the circumstances has not been that radical or violent. Some of the pearl clutching on this thread at images of a shit stirring journo having it on his toes from 2 pissed up Herberts is priceless.

If that is the net result of the protest, happy days it was peaceful overall, we have had worse in last 12 months. Someone needs to think of the mattresses here, they’ve only just dried out after launch of GB News.

Tend to agree - given the impact of lock-downs on so many people's mental (and physical) health, I'm really surprised there has not been more significant protests. Especially as the younger generation have basically - until now - had to give up an awful lot to protect the elderly. Anti-lockdown protests have been a lot stronger in France and Germany, for example.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
For my sins, the more angry or conspiracy theorist the caller is, the more entertaining it is.

James O’Brien clashing with anti-vax disciples of Icke left me in crying in laughter.

Sorry.
I have heard some of those calls too and they are quite surreal sometimes. There was a Mystery Hour call recently that warped ( excuse the pun! ) from " Why are NASA or other countries not planning manned trips to the moon since the technology has leapt forwards from the late 60's- early 70's? " to " Well since the moon landings were clearly faked I think....." the caller was cut off right now there!

They can be morbidly entertaining... Although sadly there are no longer any great Brexit calls such as the one from the lovely " Muffy " or the UKIP fish company owner.

D

Deleted member 2719

Yep, thank goodness we didn't protest against Belotti and Archer and in favour of Falmer.
Probabably the only protest I have ever done, I am talking about the serious multi-protestors, who are against everything in life.

As opposed to the Tories, the Daily Mail, Daily Express, The Sun, The Daily Telegraph. The Times, and now GB News, manipulating the elderly and uneducated for their vote, and promoting the 'culture wars' as part of the divide-and-rule strategy that people like you doubtless applaud.
I am not talking about newspapers manipulating anyone, I am talking about Labour and their followers, meeting up on demos and forming an anti brigade, these are the hardcore energy wasters of society.
Where are the uneducated manipulated by story? according to labour they don't spend enough to help the uneducated, so are you saying that they are so uneducated that they would still vote tory???
Perhaps you want to re think that one.

The right to assembly is the primary sign of a democracy in contemporary societies -- it's how the demos get to exercise their cracie. And those governments that try to outlaw it drift into authoritarianism, and even fascism. Witness Putin's Russia.
The vast majority of demos fail in their end goal, why waste energy and block others lives while they are trying to add to society ?
Head down, get on with it, take it on the chin, has always been my policy.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I have heard some of those calls too and they are quite surreal sometimes. There was a Mystery Hour call recently that warped ( excuse the pun! ) from " Why are NASA or other countries not planning manned trips to the moon since the technology has leapt forwards from the late 60's- early 70's? " to " Well since the moon landings were clearly faked I think....." the caller was cut off right now there!

They can be morbidly entertaining... Although sadly there are no longer any great Brexit calls such as the one from the lovely " Muffy " or the UKIP fish company owner.

JOB’s calls from Trump supporting Brits were great. The best are on youtube.

Not once did any caller give a coherent positive of substance, instead just secondhand phrases borrowed from QAnon.

Anyone, give this a listen.

D

Deleted member 2719

JOB’s calls from Trump supporting Brits were great. The best are on youtube.

Not once did any caller give a coherent positive of substance, instead just secondhand phrases borrowed from QAnon.

Anyone, give this a listen.

Thanks for this video, never seen this O'Brien before. Should the guy be presenting? he is a vile man, give me a bit of Iain Dale any day.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks for this video, never seen this O'Brien before. Should the guy be presenting? he is a vile man, give me a bit of Iain Dale any day.

I don’t always agree with his crusades, he’s never learnt the art of less is more. But I really like JOB. He takes on anti vax conspiracy theorists, racists, anti semites from the left and right …. all very directly.

Many other presenters bottle it or want to be everyones friend when it comes to actually taking calls.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
I really don't understand some people, it's almost a dream of theirs to be seen as 'freedom fighters' and standing against oppression. It's like how the far/alt-right love to talk about an impending civil war, they get a hard-on thinking about it.

However, none of these goons were protesting during the peak of the lockdown, so it's a really weird 'fetishised' protest really..

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
And this is precisely how democracy turns into totalitarianism.

Except, that has never happened in history. Totalitarianism spawns out of a crisis in democracy, not apathy within democracy.

Name me a single totalitarian regime that took power without the back drop of an economic crisis and the emergence of far-right and far-left movements. OR the back-drop of a civil war (largely centred around a collapse in economics).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Except, that has never happened in history. Totalitarianism spawns out of a crisis in democracy, not apathy within democracy.

Name me a single totalitarian regime that took power without the back drop of an economic crisis and the emergence of far-right and far-left movements. OR the back-drop of a civil war (largely centred around a collapse in economics).

Putin’s Russia, after a few years into his ‘reign’.

Sham elections, opponents jailed and tortured.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

What he says^. Ditto what's going on in Turkey, Hungary, Philippines, ...

PS not so sure apathy and democracy are the closest of bedfellows.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I don’t always agree with his crusades, he’s never learnt the art of less is more. But I really like JOB. He takes on anti vax conspiracy theorists, racists, anti semites from the left and right …. all very directly.

Many other presenters bottle it or want to be everyones friend when it comes to actually taking calls.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Crisis in democracy such as Brexit. Crisis such as Covid-19.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It’s almost cruel :lolol:.

When will callers realise get your facts straight and be prepared to debate?

The best one ever was " Muffy " a very sweet pro Brexit pro Johnson old lady who said how she was right behind Johnsons Brexit deal while freely admitting she hadn't a clue what may be in it. When gently asked for a "Top ten " of EU rules and Laws she would like the UK to revoke or get rid of post Brexit she struggled to name even one thing. It's a classic call about how people can be so easily manipulated in to being angry and frightened about something they really have no understanding of.

It's really quite breathtaking they way people are cajoled in to being angry about pictures of the Queen, Flags , statues and Taking a Knee when they should be angry about government ministers proven to act unlawfully, lie and vote against extending Free School Meals for families in poverty and giving "Our Marvellous NHS Staff " a 1 % pay rise.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The best one ever was " Muffy " a very sweet pro Brexit pro Johnson old lady who said how she was right behind Johnsons Brexit deal while freely admitting she hadn't a clue what may be in it. When gently asked for a "Top ten " of EU rules and Laws she would like the UK to revoke or get rid of post Brexit she struggled to name even one thing. It's a classic call about how people can be so easily manipulated in to being angry and frightened about something they really have no understanding of.

It's really quite breathtaking they way people are cajoled in to being angry about pictures of the Queen, Flags , statues and Taking a Knee when they should be angry about government ministers proven to act unlawfully, lie and vote against extending Free School Meals for families in poverty and giving "Our Marvellous NHS Staff " a 1 % pay rise.

My own view is that long, long before Johnson/Cummings appeared on the scene, there was a quiet revolution of countless millions turning against the EU on these shores. Some newspapers were influential, but Farage was a colossal influence. (But social media was the real reason).

Did that pass you by in the noughties and early 2010’s, it did me? The penny dropped when I went to a BBQ in Hove with a mix of NHS staff, young graduates, professionals, someone providing care, so not your archetypal Daily Mail readers …. turns out that everyone bar me was a Brexiteer and voted so shortly afterwards.

My lifelong Labour mate, never a Tory, voted Brexit and today is staunchly the same.

I think what you and I completely missed was the youtube, twatter and facebook explosion in terms of influencers and politics. I’ve had a youtube membership for getting on for 15 years. I love it for music, boxing and comedy. I genuinely didn’t realise that the left and right feasted on it daily in echo chambers watching liars.

I’m quite proud that I missed it all btw :smile:

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
My own view is that long, long before Johnson/Cummings appeared on the scene, there was a quiet revolution of countless millions turning against the EU on these shores. Some newspapers were influential, but Farage was a colossal influence. (But social media was the real reason).

Did that pass you by in the noughties and early 2010’s, it did me? The penny dropped when I went to a BBQ in Hove with a mix of NHS staff, young graduates, professionals, someone providing care, so not your archetypal Daily Mail readers …. turns out that everyone bar me was a Brexiteer and voted so shortly afterwards.

My lifelong Labour mate, never a Tory, voted Brexit and today is staunchly the same.

I think what you and I completely missed was the youtube, twatter and facebook explosion in terms of influencers and politics. I’ve had a youtube membership for getting on for 15 years. I love it for music, boxing and comedy. I genuinely didn’t realise that the left and right feasted on it daily in echo chambers watching liars.

I’m quite proud that I missed it all btw :smile:

I think if there'd been a referendum at pretty much any point in my lifetime (I.e. since about 1990) the vote would have been close enough that on any other day we would have voted to leave.

Pretty much the only time the EU appeared in the news was because the government had said something bad was their fault, or because the government was claiming something couldn't be done because of EU rules. And then they act all shocked when people vote to leave :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here