Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Barry John RIP

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If losing JPR was bad enough now the King has gone. Retired at 27 but was one of the reasons I got into rugby at an early age. Exquisite with the ball in hand and a member of the greatest Welsh team of all time. What a half back partnership with Gareth Edwards.
He was given the nickname The King by New Zealand journalists btw…. not me.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
An absolute genius of a player. V sad, especially after JPR going last month, as you mentioned. RIP King John.
I’m feeling old PT by the lack of input on this thread,

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
I’m feeling old PT by the lack of input on this thread,
You and me both, pal! And it is “egg chasing” and Welsh egg chasing at that. Anyway I can’t be sad today…I just go to Twitter and read how that mob from SE25 are self imploding and I’m roaring with laughter within seconds.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If losing JPR was bad enough now the King has gone. Retired at 27 but was one of the reasons I got into rugby at an early age. Exquisite with the ball in hand and a member of the greatest Welsh team of all time. What a half back partnership with Gareth Edwards.
Sadly very little video of him playing but what there is shows what a majestic fly half he was. He didn’t so much run as glide, he made it look effort less.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You and me both, pal! And it is “egg chasing” and Welsh egg chasing at that. Anyway I can’t be sad today…I just go to Twitter and read how that mob from SE25 are self imploding and I’m roaring with laughter within seconds.
See your point but brilliance in sport is a thing to rejoice in irrespective of nationality

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
See your point but brilliance in sport is a thing to rejoice in irrespective of nationality
I started playing rugby when I was about 12, so mid 70’s when Wales were sublime. Our coach was a Welshman whom waxed lyrical about the Welsh team . He also had a Philips video player so played us recordings ( which I think he got from a friend at the BBC) of Wales when training was called off. Even as an Englishman I loved the brilliance of 1970’s Wales. I mean , what’s not to like!

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I started playing rugby when I was about 12, so mid 70’s when Wales were sublime. Our coach was a Welshman whom waxed lyrical about the Welsh team . He also had a Philips video player so played us recordings ( which I think he got from a friend at the BBC) of Wales when trading was called off. Even as an Englishman I loved the brilliance of 1970’s Wales. I mean , what’s not to like!
Oh god yeah. The BBC used to cover both internationals on the Saturday and I always watched the Welsh game whoever they were playing. Until Dusty Hare kicked that penalty

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Oh god yeah. The BBC used to cover both internationals on the Saturday and I always watched the Welsh game whoever they were playing. Until Dusty Hare kicked that penalty
I knew more Welsh players than English …

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
The one he missed at Cardiff Arms Park?

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
If I was asked to name a famous,the following would be

Boxing=Muhammad Ali
Football=Pele
Cricket=Garfield Sobers
Rugby=Barry John

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sad to lose another one of the giants of the game...there was a nice little tribute to JPR at half time in the Wales v Scotland game Saturday evening..

He was a legend of the sport.

Here's a challenge - was he the greatest "early retirement" in the history of ALL sport, not just rugby? Struggling to think of anyone else greater than him who did what he did

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Absolutely gutted at this. He was my first sporting hero - I had his photo on my wall as a child. The Barry John book of rugby was a cherished Christmas present and I remember being aghast at his early retirement. In later years, I was lucky enough to meet him twice: it was like being in the presence of royalty.

I got home yesterday evening after reffing two games of rugby (and it was Barry John who really sold the sport to me) to be met by the news of his death and a little while later, the sudden death of old working colleague of mine, someone I'd know for 40 years. What a reminder of the fragility of life

Gorffwys mewn heddwch, Barry - Y Brenin.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
"Edwards ..... to Barry John" How many times did I hear Bill McClaren say that? Like JPR John was revered in England, so God knows what it must have been like in Wales (Indeed I believe that contributed to his early retirement as apparently he didn't like all the attention).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here