Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Barcelona- UEFA Investigation

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Came across the below article on the BBC regarding payments allegedly made to referees to get favourable decisions

Blimey.

If that's true, what would a fair punishment be?

Stripping of titles, or simply closing the club?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Given the owners of some of our clubs, I would almost be surprised if they haven't also tried to bribe officials.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
You’d like to think they will also chase the money given to referees to fix decisions. What a can of worms. Money, money, money. I do despair at what has become of the beautiful game.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Investigation should've started straight after that CL game against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge years ago. That was a total disgrace.
The investigation is only for La Liga, nothing to do with the Champions league.

Barça have been buying the reports from the referees association since the early 2000s from the vice president of referees in the LFP - this is what the entire investigation is about, they're saying that, if he was on payroll has it influenced results?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Stripping of titles would do interesting things to Messi's record.
Messi is irrelevant. If they've bribed officials, the book should be thrown.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
I'm (obviously) very cautious when commenting these matters, given what happened to us in 2006 and how lopsided that was. And also what's happening to us right now, which will probably be annulled by the current court in 3 weeks time given that the sentence we've been initially given, and also the trial itself, didn't really follow the sports law.

Better to wait and see until at least some other details come out and the trial is in full swing. Never had any sympathy for Barça but I hope they get the fairest possible trial - which is a bit of a pipe dream given how underdeveloped and vague/rough sports regulations are in a lot of leagues.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here