Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Barber (not that one) required for SEN child

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
apologies in advance for the dadsnet style post but wanted to see if the great people of NSC can help
through complications at birth, junior Reagulls is different to many of his peers in some respects.
He's never had his haircut and we think its about time! (he's 5)
he thinks that cutting his hair is going to hurt - he gets upset if you try and cut a bit of cotton from his clothes if he's wearing it.
does anyone know or has used a barber who is experienced in cutting the hair of children who require a service something a bit different to a standard barber.
Ideally a home visit as I'm not sure how he'll get on at a barber shop.
any recommendations gladly accepted on here or by PM

thank you

we are going to donate his hair to a cancer charity who use it to make wigs for children

BarberOBE(out)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Young children are often better going to a hairdresser, or a hairdresser coming to them than a barber. It depends on how he responds to adults, male or female. My son's first hair cut was at a lady's hairdressers.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
My son is non-verbal and has high functioning autism. His first hair cut we took him to a kids barbers in Hove and went OK, second time was disastrous and the young lady kept looking at us like "control your kid" and we didn't want to go back. We tried once more and the lady who cut his hair was the lady who cut it the first time, and she was amazing. She gave us her number and she now visits us at home.

Hair cuts used to be an absolute nightmare. Would take 4 fully grown adults to distract him enough to get it done. He's now 4 and a half and she can finally use clippers on him and is relaxed enough around her now, that it's all over in 10 minutes. We first had his hair cut at about 2 and a half, so has taken a while.

I'll have a word with the Mrs and see if she minds us passing her number on. Where are you based?

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Young children are often better going to a hairdresser, or a hairdresser coming to them than a barber. It depends on how he responds to adults, male or female. My son's first hair cut was at a lady's hairdressers.
thanks for the reply, I only said barber as he's a boy, its not about the sex, age etc. of who's cutting his hair, its about their experience dealing with a child with special needs.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
My son is non-verbal and has high functioning autism. His first hair cut we took him to a kids barbers in Hove and went OK, second time was disastrous and the young lady kept looking at us like "control your kid" and we didn't want to go back. We tried once more and the lady who cut his hair was the lady who cut it the first time, and she was amazing. She gave us her number and she now visits us at home.

Hair cuts used to be an absolute nightmare. Would take 4 fully grown adults to distract him enough to get it done. He's now 4 and a half and she can finally use clippers on him and is relaxed enough around her now, that it's all over in 10 minutes. We first had his hair cut at about 2 and a half, so has taken a while.

I'll have a word with the Mrs and see if she minds us passing her number on. Where are you based?
afternoon, and thanks for the reply, based on other experiences we're thinking a trip to the barber shop would not go well! so if you would kindly ask the Mrs and see if its ok to get the number that would be wonderful, we are based in Portslade.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
I know you’ve said above about potentially preferring home visit, but in case you change your mind have a look at Bertie and Belle in Hove. They are more or less all kids cuts and have tv’s, seats in the shape of cars etc. they are really good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here