Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ballet, Opera, or Football.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The real controversy for me was that prior to lockdown, you could sit inside of Glyndebourne lapping up some high culture but you couldn’t sit outside in the Amex and watch beautiful but impotent football.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Just cAught this on the news

Would be nice to just have one day without a group getting upset and outraged about something Daily

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I like opera AND football. I've even gone straight from a match to the opera still wearing my Albion top.

There's definitely been a change over the years however. When I first started going to the opera, it was an expensive treat while football was cheap entertainment. It's the other way around now and my last few tickets to ROH have all been cheaper than a single football ticket.

That's an odd turnaround

Another opera and football fan here. Agree re the ticket prices too, plenty available for less than £30/50 an EPL match would set you back.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Surprising intervention given that time Liverpool's Phil Babb starred in that live version of the Nutcracker

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Northerners prefer football to ballet, Jake Berry MP says https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-54908862

Just how out of touch are these people?
I’m a soft southerner, I have never been to an opera or even seen a ballet on the telly, let alone been to watch one.
People voted for this doughnut!

Wow an MP apparently looking out for constituents and you have an issue with that, your moan would have more credibility if it had the MP been from a party of different colour, although I suspect this story wouldn’t have ended up on here in that case.

You’ll deny your bias of course [emoji106]

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I like opera AND football. I've even gone straight from a match to the opera still wearing my Albion top.

There's definitely been a change over the years however. When I first started going to the opera, it was an expensive treat while football was cheap entertainment. It's the other way around now and my last few tickets to ROH have all been cheaper than a single football ticket.

That's an odd turnaround

I had to Google ROH to confirm my suspicions.
Does that make me a northerner?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Wow an MP apparently looking out for constituents and you have an issue with that, your moan would have more credibility if it had the MP been from a party of different colour, although I suspect this story wouldn’t have ended up on here in that case.

You got the wrong end of the stick again?

The MP said:

"For many people who live in London and the south of England, things like the opera house and ballet will be at the heart of their culture."

As you live in the south of England, is the opera house at the heart of your culture?

If for you the opera is > football then your comment might carry some weight. But I suspect it isn't and therefore the criticism of this MP is entirely justified.

I don't know anybody whose culture consists of ballet and the opera house - and I'm a south saxon born and bred and lived in Sussex my entire life.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You got the wrong end of the stick again?

The MP said:

"For many people who live in London and the south of England, things like the opera house and ballet will be at the heart of their culture."

As you live in the south of England, is the opera house at the heart of your culture?

If for you the opera is > football then your comment might carry some weight. But I suspect it isn't and therefore the criticism of this MP is entirely justified.

I don't know anybody whose culture consists of ballet and the opera house - and I'm a south saxon born and bred and lived in Sussex my entire life.

Was he sticking up for his constituency, yes

Would this be on NSC had it been a Labour MP No

I haven’t got the wrong end of the stick

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I won’t deny I’m bias, I most definitely am.

I despise the Tories, but, i am most contemptuous of working class Tories.

Happy?

The ex Minister in question is not looking out for constituents, he is treating them with contempt, his whole, Northerners wouldn’t like ballet or opera, they aren’t sophisticated enough to understand it, where as soft southerners are obviously educated enough to appreciate the beauty of ballet and opera, is most definitely class based. He appears to believe his constituents are working class oiks.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Was he sticking up for his constituency, yes

Would this be on NSC had it been a Labour MP No

I haven’t got the wrong end of the stick

You're offering support to someone who said that football teams in the south of the country ... on a website for fans of a football team in the south of the country,

Can't you see how idiotic that is?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
He would have been on safer ground going with food, as everyone knows its only Northerners that like mushy peas and have gravy on their chips, and strangely think its chips and egg, and that Southerners prefer avacados, organic foods and correctly refer to egg and chips.

Just as silly.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Ballet, Opera or Football.
How about a bit of Shakespeare?
This thread is really ,'Much Ado About Nothing.'

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
You're offering support to someone who said that football teams in the south of the country ... on a website for fans of a football team in the south of the country,

Can't you see how idiotic that is?

No , No I’m not offering support to the MP, I’m calling out the bias of the OP which he openly admits, and it comes as no surprise that you and the other non Tories on this thread are challenging me, and so yo should it’s your right [emoji106]

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I won’t deny I’m bias, I most definitely am.

I despise the Tories, but, i am most contemptuous of working class Tories.

Happy?

The ex Minister in question is not looking out for constituents, he is treating them with contempt, his whole, Northerners wouldn’t like ballet or opera, they aren’t sophisticated enough to understand it, where as soft southerners are obviously educated enough to appreciate the beauty of ballet and opera, is most definitely class based. He appears to believe his constituents are working class oiks.

I can’t believe he says “"But for many of us in the north it is our local football club - our Glyndebourne or Royal Ballet or Royal Opera House or Royal Shakespeare Company will be Blackburn Rovers, Accrington Stanley, Barrow, Carlisle or Sunderland.”

And through your angry goggles you translate that to,

4a24d90a57eb772f8d24d26bf799c32e.jpg

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I see he was really arguing for financial support of lower league football clubs
“But for many of us in the north it is our local football club - our Glyndebourne or Royal Ballet or Royal Opera House or Royal Shakespeare Company will be Blackburn Rovers, Accrington Stanley, Barrow, Carlisle or Sunderland.”

Why should financial support be just for the arts rather than football? That was his point. As someone said, the thread , and media reporting , is a bit of Tory bashing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here