Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Back Spasm - Ouch!

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
I have to echo the comments about yoga. I do a couple of yoga moves (if that is what they are called) before and after workouts and it has made loads of difference. One is lying on your back and pulling knees towards stomach and the other looks a bit like you are lining up at the begiining of a sprint race. Certainly worked for me. And do some regular abs work when you can, that helps too:smile:

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
But when a big episode strikes, hopefully only once every two or three years, there is only one thing that sorts me out, Diazapan (sp). Only takes a couple of pills to start relaxing the muscles in about thirty mins, and then just a couple more over the next 24 hours. I hate the bloody things as they send me loopy and only use them for as short as period as possible.

[MENTION=25353]el punal[/MENTION] ... my back went on me on the golf course about 5 years ago, hobbled off and could hardly move.

Went to Chiropractor who snapped and pummeled me for about 3/4 weeks with no improvement then went to Doc and he prescribed me Diazepam and my back was fixed in less than 2 days and haven't had a problem since. I didn't have any side effects at all but I understand they are a bit heavy duty

el punal

I have suffered with back spasms for years on and off. For those that wonder how it manifests, the muscles just tighten and tighten over a number of hours until you are almost immobile. If you do try to move you end up screaming out in pain. It has nothing to do with your spine, or individual vertebra, just muscles.

In hindsight it normally gets worse with me when I am at my least fit, lockdown here doesn’t help right now. The slightest thing can start it off, just getting out of a car for instance. Anti inflammatory painkillers do help, pills or creams, and rest of course. But when a big episode strikes, hopefully only once every two or three years, there is only one thing that sorts me out, Diazapan (sp). Only takes a couple of pills to start relaxing the muscles in about thirty mins, and then just a couple more over the next 24 hours. I hate the bloody things as they send me loopy and only use them for as short as period as possible.

But to be honest, I would rather have this than ongoing spine issues, or other more serious health problems.

Thanks for your advice. I, too, have suffered the slings and arrows of back spasm for a number of years. The reason for my opening post was to find out if anybody could come up with a “miracle cure” that would be suitable for me. As you rightly stated the problem is the muscles in the back seizing up, rather than problems with the spine and so forth.

I agree, also, that Ibroprofen seems to help. My doc recommended me something stronger that had me floating on the ceiling for a couple of hours - can’t remember what but it was a good trip! Heat packs on the area of pain helps too. Unfortunately the only true remedy is time - for the affected muscles to relax and relieve the pressure on the nerves.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Thanks for your advice. I, too, have suffered the slings and arrows of back spasm for a number of years. The reason for my opening post was to find out if anybody could come up with a “miracle cure” that would be suitable for me. As you rightly stated the problem is the muscles in the back seizing up, rather than problems with the spine and so forth.

I agree, also, that Ibroprofen seems to help. My doc recommended me something stronger that had me floating on the ceiling for a couple of hours - can’t remember what but it was a good trip! Heat packs on the area of pain helps too. Unfortunately the only true remedy is time - for the affected muscles to relax and relieve the pressure on the nerves.

I'm no Doc but if you believe it's 'muscle seizing' then I would defo ask your Doc about Diazepam.

Of all the things I've ever had I'd say that was as close to a 'miracle' as I could imagine

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
It happens to me quite a lot, sneezing, putting jeans on etc, lower back pain and stiffness. Normally happens because I have not been moving enough. When it happens I try to walk and keep moving, this helps to ease it and then keep doing it and it keeps it at bay. I find going for a 30 - 40 min walk a day is enough.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
2 Valium and a barley wine I always say.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Go and find a holistic therapist/manipulator rather than an osteo or chiropractor. Quite often the back itself isn’t the issue but a referred pain that translates into the lower back especially if your core isn’t strong enough.

I found one who when mine spasms releases my soas muscle but tells me my issue is primarily posture driven and caused by my relative lack of mobility in my quads, glutes and hamstrings.

I’ve now been working on all three groups plus my core for 6 months and so far not a single re-occurrence.

A chiro/osteo will treat the issue not the cause and that’s why it most frequently re-occurs.

If anyone can suffering can access N London easily then feel free to PM me for the contact details seriously will fix you in two to three sessions max.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Go and find a holistic therapist/manipulator rather than an osteo or chiropractor. Quite often the back itself isn’t the issue but a referred pain that translates into the lower back especially if your core isn’t strong enough.

I found one who when mine spasms releases my soas muscle but tells me my issue is primarily posture driven and caused by my relative lack of mobility in my quads, glutes and hamstrings.

I’ve now been working on all three groups plus my core for 6 months and so far not a single re-occurrence.

A chiro/osteo will treat the issue not the cause and that’s why it most frequently re-occurs.

If anyone can suffering can access N London easily then feel free to PM me for the contact details seriously will fix you in two to three sessions max.

I have used several Osteopaths, a Chiro (once only!) and various other holistic practitioners - but my latest Osteopath is light years ahead of any manipulator I've ever been to. Holistic in his approach and does not do any spinal manipulation until muscles are loosened off. As you say, most pain is referred from another deep lying issue/injury/tweak/weakness.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Can’t recommend Pilates enough as a long back sufferer of three ops and countless injections. You won’t find many decent surgeons that also don’t recommend it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here