Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Automatic Gearbox Problems..

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Did the garage check the transmission fluid? I’ve heard of transmission fluid stopping automatic cars going into drive because it can’t build up hydraulic pressure, a friend of mine had this problem because the tube that carries the fluid snapped, was a cheap fix so hopefully that’s your issue.

Were there any warning signs before hand at all? Heard any noises before??
Yes, they checked the fluid. There had been no warning signs or noises at all before. But there was a loud clunk when it happened.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I had a gearbox problem on a Porsche 968 tiptronic on a car living in France. I was quoted similar to you. I ended up getting the gearbox removed and taken back to England by a mate who was buying antiques and taking them back to England in a transit. He delivered and collected for me. Long story short, the rebuild was around £1200 from these guys, Three years ago and not a single problem.

It may be worth trailering the car to them after you get a quote. (I paid exactly what was quoted)

Edit, looks like you may be sorted
I called these folks last week. They are one of the firms who said they are unable to even look at the car until late May.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
I had a gearbox issue on my BMW a few years back. Opposite to the OP - I lost reverse gear (and my car was manual).

BMW initially quoted around £4k for a new gearbox mmox. The car was out of warranty and had done around 67k miles.

I did some research and found a number of others with same model where reverse gear was lost at a similar mileage. This was on a forum and there were various discussions about how people had dealt with it.

I went back to BMW with this 'evidence' of an 'inherent' fault. I maybe had the advantage of having driven the car from new (as a company car - which I bought when made redundant) and had always had the car serviced at BMW main dealer ... but they agreed to take it up with BMW.

BMW agreed to supply a new gear box at no cost and I just had to pay the initial diagnostic fee and then labour - coming in at just over £500 in total.

Not sure what the history of the OP's car is - appreciate it's now 10 years old - but very low mileage. But maybe worth checking via good old Google to see if the fault is 'common' with the model etc.
VW dealership have already told me there is no chance of any help from them. And I didn't find anything similar on Google. But I completely value your point and will chat with the transmission expert when I go there.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Always a horrible situation when you get such a high quote for repairs particularly when they represent 50% of the car's value. Hopefully the suggestions on this thread get you a lower quote.

If you're still facing a hefty bill and weighing up whether it's worthwhile going ahead rather than cutting your losses, it's worth asking yourself if faced with another 1-2k bill in 12 months whether you'd scrap it....if the answer is yes might be giving up on it now.

bognor gull

Feb 1, 2012
sunny bognor
I assume that the transmission on your Golf is a DSG type ? If so, a transmission service ( fluid change, filter, flush and refill) is very likely what is required. Should be carried out every 40K miles on these DSG units. Cost is approx £350

Auckland seagull

Aug 26, 2016
I just had a new auto transmission job completed on a Nissan X Trail. Without the work it was worth 300 quid scrap. I spent 2k on the new transmission and then immediately sold the car for 3.5K. A calculated risk that paid off. I'd love to recommend the fella who did the work, but I live in New Zealand... He came from Liverpool and apparently knew a thing or two about hubcaps.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
As @bognor gull has pointed out above, the Golf has a DSG type gearbox (dual clutch) not like a standard torque converter auto.

They’re common enough (fitted to all VW, Audi, Skoda and Seat models) but they have had a chequered history in terms of reliability. VW group have historically been a bit reluctant to admit any faults, or offer any assistance when they go wrong, even on quite new cars.

Obviously a bit late in your case, but in general terms if you like auto boxes, it’s worth bearing this in mind when looking at vehicles.

(Though the above doesn’t apply to VW ID electric models)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here