Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Australia

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Sorry, I can't quite get my head around why this has turned into an arguement. I have been here 2 and a bit years and still love it. I have only left South Australia once in that time, have seen the Ashes and Aus / Soiuth Africa in the Cricket, get to go and watch V8 supoer cars one week every year, have a fringe festival that attracts great acts from around the world. Currently have circ de soleil and have had a number of international artists play (non of them my sort of music, but hey, it has been on). We have the tour down under for another week every year, great beaches and weather (although a bit hot) etc. We even have a Seagulls downunder club.

This is just a sample of Adelaide (one of the smaller capital cities in Australia) life, BUT it is not for everyone. It is not London and will not attract the top bands, it is not a $20 fare to hop on a plane to another country for a city break etc, you are a long way from familiy and friends (and the Albion). I love it here, others might hate it but it is an INDIVIDUAL thing. I know plenty of Aussies out here who have lived and worked in London and owned houses, but come back, others stay, some never leave. If you want to do i, do it, otherwise get on with your life where you are.

Stumpy Tim

Sorry, I can't quite get my head around why this has turned into an arguement. I have been here 2 and a bit years and still love it. I have only left South Australia once in that time, have seen the Ashes and Aus / Soiuth Africa in the Cricket, get to go and watch V8 supoer cars one week every year, have a fringe festival that attracts great acts from around the world. Currently have circ de soleil and have had a number of international artists play (non of them my sort of music, but hey, it has been on). We have the tour down under for another week every year, great beaches and weather (although a bit hot) etc. We even have a Seagulls downunder club.

This is just a sample of Adelaide (one of the smaller capital cities in Australia) life, BUT it is not for everyone. It is not London and will not attract the top bands, it is not a $20 fare to hop on a plane to another country for a city break etc, you are a long way from familiy and friends (and the Albion). I love it here, others might hate it but it is an INDIVIDUAL thing. I know plenty of Aussies out here who have lived and worked in London and owned houses, but come back, others stay, some never leave. If you want to do i, do it, otherwise get on with your life where you are.

Exactly what I have been saying, but people have taken it as me thinking Australia is shit - which is far from the truth. It's a cracking country and I love it. All I said was you can't say you would never come back to England because some people aren't into things that are nice in Australia. Europe has its strengths that you can't get in Australia, and vice versa

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

some people will argue or be-little others on here as a matter of course.......they could be arguing about the pros and cons of living in a certain country , which hand to wank with or which current Albion player deserves to have some sense dry humped into him , one thing i have learned on here is that you can get an argument just about any time you want........your post is not in the spirit of NSC and i would ask you to desist from posting such acute sense in future.:wave:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Did 20 months in Melbourne in 2001-3. Absolutely LOVED it. Music wise, saw The Streets, Oasis, Gomez, Doves, Jamiroquai and Groove Armada live to name just a few and had no issues getting tickets for any. Sports wise, I saw an Ashes Boxing Day Test, loads of AFL, the Australian Open and a grand prix. It does lack history and culture. TV, newspapers and radio in particular are very poor but I was far more active because of the weather and that's in the rainy corner.

If you're thinking of doing a year before uni, my advice would be to go, but don't stick to the east coast, see as much as you can. It's not called the lucky country for nothing.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
PS - NZ is also amazing. I only did the south island but loved it. The scenery alone is just jaw dropping but Kaikoura is my top tip. Whales, seals, dolphins, orcas etc Great place

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Spent a month in Sydney some years ago a great place,particularly if you like the outdoors and sport,plenty of top groups from UK and USA tour there.
Regarding the best way to get accepted, I can recall from my school books that if you have served a long term in prison you are in!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
PS - NZ is also amazing. I only did the south island but loved it. The scenery alone is just jaw dropping but Kaikoura is my top tip. Whales, seals, dolphins, orcas etc Great place

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Exactly what I have been saying, but people have taken it as me thinking Australia is shit - which is far from the truth. It's a cracking country and I love it. All I said was you can't say you would never come back to England because some people aren't into things that are nice in Australia. Europe has its strengths that you can't get in Australia, and vice versa

That is a better way of saying it. I can agree with you on that. A lot of people that move from Europe to NZ complain about how distant it feels from the rest of the world. I love that side of it. They also moan about the slow pace. Another winner for me.

Lack of things to do in Christchurch is gutting at the moment, but will get better in time.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
That is a better way of saying it. I can agree with you on that. A lot of people that move from Europe to NZ complain about how distant it feels from the rest of the world. I love that side of it. They also moan about the slow pace. Another winner for me.

Lack of things to do in Christchurch is gutting at the moment, but will get better in time.

The slow pace and large distance are two of the major draws for me.
I've shot off a few emails to NZ recruitment agencies regarding employment, most appear to be off until after NY so won't hear anything for a week or so yet.
I've looked on the Immi website to re-affirm that it's 5 years solid work = citizenship.
Would you know whether the above is trade specific or for all workers, whichever industry?

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
5 years does mean citizenship. I'm not sure if you need top be employed for the whole lot though. I think it is 5 years residence.

Most places do shut down until the 7th over Christmas. Girlfriend doesn't go back until the 14th!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
My friend is Australian and has lived in Melbourne all her life, but hates it there. Of course it's her opinion that she and her Australian friends feel isolated from the rest of the world. Just saying that the grass is always greener, especially if it's on the other side of the world. Brits dream about settling in Australia. Australians dream about settling in Europe. Everyone always wants to be somewhere else.

The Greeks all want to be in Melbourne.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Some people like australia and some people don't! Who would have thought it?

I live in Geelong and love it, love Melbourne too. I catch a bit of theatre and am spoilt for choice for going to see some great bands in the next few months (way more than i can afford, although it must be said i can't afford much).

I aslo get to surf and go to the beach regulaly.

Depends what you want out of life really.

Stumpy Tim

My sister is in Christchurch at the moment. She loves NZ

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Given Melbourne has the largest Greek population outside of Athens and after the global crisis the number of Greeks applying to live in Australia exploded in numbers it's not so far from the truth!

Mmm

It is still a generalisation

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here