Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Atherstone Ball Game

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Anyone experienced Atherstone Ball Game?

From what I've read since it appears a large ball is chucked out of a pub window and then whoever has control of the ball 2 hours later is the winner. The only rule is you aren't allowed to kill anyone. It's been "played" on Shrove Tuesday for over 800 years. All the local shops board up their windows because the end of the game gets completely out of hand as you can see from the video. The ball was apparently barricaded in doorway of Hills and defended successfully until the end of the game.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
That same evening a local non-league match was called off due to crowd trouble:

Crowd trouble forced the abandonment of Tamworth’s derby with Nuneaton in the Southern League Premier Division Central. Fans of both sides were reported to have thrown missiles as the players were forced off the pitch. Some have attributed the trouble to the all-day drinking opportunities offered by the nearby traditional Shrove Tuesday Atherstone Ball Game.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yes a mate goes to this - big local thing. Didn’t realise it was that violent though - all seemed to enjoy it though - I guess the ball was in the shop doorway then?

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
What a bunch of degenerate neanderthals. How the hell aren't the police involved?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Yes a mate goes to this - big local thing. Didn’t realise it was that violent though - all seemed to enjoy it though - I guess the ball was in the shop doorway then?
If you read the replies to that Twitter post there are plenty like @Shooting Star but all the locals are bang into it saying it’s harmless fun. Not sure Hills or the local A&E would agree.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It's mob ball right? That's where football (and rugby) evolved from (certainly in the UK)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Seems everyone involved is consenting and there are some stewards around to make sure it doesn’t just spill over into a fight between randoms. Obviously I’d run a mile myself but if they want to get involved and know the risks I don’t have a problem with it.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Anyone experienced Atherstone Ball Game?

From what I've read since it appears a large ball is chucked out of a pub window and then whoever has control of the ball 2 hours later is the winner. The only rule is you aren't allowed to kill anyone. It's been "played" on Shrove Tuesday for over 800 years. All the local shops board up their windows because the end of the game gets completely out of hand as you can see from the video. The ball was apparently barricaded in doorway of Hills and defended successfully until the end of the game.

I thought it was the queue for Hills when Tony tips up his long price one in the handicap at Cheltenham.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here