Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Remembering those that suffered and passed in all conflicts.

Some of my Grans brothers records below, he signed up to the Burma Auxiliary corp at 17 in 1933, as my gran and he were born in India & he was born in Rangoon to 2nd generation Germans who moved to London in the 1850s and became landlords/publicans in Camden, Islington & Soho.
They changed their surname from Schnaubur to Shaw just before the great war. Two Brothers both moved between India and Burma for about 15 years, because one of them ran a forestry commission, the other worked for a brewery that made pale ale etc for the soldiers.
So my uncle knew the locals and certain areas very well, which he utilised during the war behind enemy lines.
My gran met my grandad a young priest in Rangoon and they married just before the war, he was posted as a Chaplin in Burma (but alas I can find very little info). The family stayed as long as they could until the Japanese over ran Burma, and they escaped in the night through the jungle into India and relative safety.

Uncle Bal as we called him, stayed on in Burma until the end, like many he did not like talking about the war. However to win a distinction in Burma, you must have seen some horrible things, especially fighting the Japanese.
He died several years ago in Banff Canada where he retired.
My gran and grandad are buried in Hove cemetery after he passed away in bed at the rectory to St Barnabas Church, Sackville Street where he was a priest.

I am lucky never to have seen first hand the horrors of war, thank you one and all, alive and dead.
Thank you and bless you.

Attachments

• 777777777.jpg
    777777777.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 14444.jpg
    14444.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's always a poignant moment for my family, as my grandad fought at Gallipoli and was one of the lucky ones to survive.
He ended up coming back to UK, eventually being sent back out to the front and ended up a POW until the end of the fighting :bowdown:

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Remembering those that suffered and passed in all conflicts.

My Grans brothers records, he signed up to the Burma Auxiliary corp at 17 in 1933, as my gran and he were born in India to 2nd generation Germans, they changed their surname to Shaw just before the great war. the family moved between India and Burma for about 15 years and because they ran a forestry commission my uncle knew the locals and certain areas well. My gran met my grandad a young priest in Rangoon and they married just before the war, he was posted as a Chaplin in Burma (but alas I can find very little info). The family stayed as long as they could until the Japanese over ran Burma, and they escaped in the night through the jungle into India and relative safety.

Uncle Bal as we called him, stayed on in Burma until the end, these are my great uncles Bals war bits and bobs he left me, like many he did not like talking about the war.
To win a distinction in Burma, you must have seen some horrible things, especially fighting the Japanese.
He died several years ago in Banff Canada where he retired.
My gran and grandad are buried in Hove cemetery after he passed away in bed at the rectory to St Barnabas Church, Sackville Street where he was a priest.

I am lucky never to have seen first hand the horrors of war, thank you one and all, alive and dead.
Thank you and bless you.

Impressive , these people are the real heroes not the greedy , grasping so called celebrities of todays world .

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Both my grandads served in WW1, one as a career soldier the other as a volunteer soldier. Father served in WW2 North Africa, Italy including Monte Cassino then into Germany. He made a career of the army after the war. Lots of thoughts for all of them on this day.

In 2016, myself, my Grandad and my Dad, went to Beaumont-Hamel, Northern France, to visit my Great Great Uncle's grave. It was 100 years to the day he died, 3rd September 2016, that we visited. (died 3rd Sept 1916).

It was a nice sunny day and when we arrived, we were a bit quiet. I must admit I was a bit nervous because I didn't know what my reaction would be. Suddenly, Grandad shouted over that he found it.

Me and Dad both walked over and I can remember instant holding his headstone and just sobbing. It was hugely moving. I felt so much pride and sadness. We put down a reef and then read some words of reflection and remembrance.

Grandad being quite religious read a prayer...I do remember at that point that we did have a little laugh as we all looked at each other trying not to cry some more.

When my Great Great Uncle died in the Battle of the Somme, he was fighting in the Royal Sussex Regiment, Turners Hill Branch.

He was just 19 years old with his whole life ahead of him. He sacrificed his life for our freedom.

It was one of the most important trips I've ever made and I'll never forget it. I want to visit there again very soon and have some more time of reflection whilst showing my brother how important it is.

I am forever grateful for what our armed forces do and we will NEVER forget.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For those who died at sea.

In ocean wastes no poppies blow,
No crosses stand in ordered row,
There young hearts sleep… beneath the wave…
The spirited, the good, the brave,
But stars a constant vigil keep,
For them who lie beneath the deep.
‘Tis true you cannot kneel in prayer
On certain spot and think. “He’s there.”
But you can to the ocean go…
See whitecaps marching row on row;
Know one for him will always ride…
In and out… with every tide.
And when your span of life is passed,
He’ll meet you at the “Captain’s Mast.”
And they who mourn on distant shore
For sailors who’ll come home no more,
Can dry their tears and pray for these
Who rest beneath the heaving seas…
For stars that shine and winds that blow
And whitecaps marching row on row.
And they can never lonely be
For when they lived… they chose the sea.

View attachment 142063

Private DAWSON, FRED
Service Number 82431
Died 10/11/1918 in France
Aged 18 years 5 months
"D" Coy. 11th Bn.
Royal Fusiliers
Son of Joseph and Ann Dawson,
Buried TERLINCTHUN BRITISH CEMETERY, WIMILLE

My Great Uncle Fred. Died on the day before the Great War ended, 103 years ago yesterday, aged 18

With the greatest of respect for your great uncle Fred, are you aware that a number of people who were registered as dying on the 10th actually died in the 11th itself? Evidentally this was done to make sure anyone dying on the 11th was registered as dying before the war ended and was therefore entitled to pension and any other benefits for dependants. Obviously I have no idea whether this applied to Fred or not.

Very interesting programme on PBS America last night (Ch 84 on Freeview) presented by Micael Palin that covered this and lots of other stuff I didn't know; if you missed it it's repeated at 10:50 this Sunday, Remembrance Day. https://www.radiotimes.com/programme/b-dny8k5/the-last-day-of-ww1/

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
While I was watching on Sky there were ignorant tw*ts walking around the people standing and observing the silence.
Do they really either not know or care?
No respect some people! :rant:

I can remember many years ago whilst being in a shop when the silence was being observed for the 9/11 attack victims and people were moving past us carrying on shopping.

Did they really either not know or care?
No respect some people! :rant:

When they had the shot of the clock on Elizabeth Tower at 11am some disrespectful nomark in a high vis was clambering about on the scaffolding. FFS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here