Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not true. You are just going by your specific reaction to the play. Maty was absolutely interfered with on that save and it should have been whistled right at that time. The referee was corrected and whatever happened after that should have been stopped by the whistle. GKs have forever been protected when touched in trying to make a play on the ball with their hands. Keepers have to be allowed to make the play with their hands or otherwise they would be kicked excessively. It's part of the game and was a corrected call for the referee who should have blown his whistle. How many more goalkeeper injuries do we want?

Utter bobbins I'm afraid. Players ARE allowed to challenge the keeper for the ball, and this is still (supposedly) a contact sport. In no way was that a dangerous or unfair challenge on Ryan, he was just weak and lost out. If BHA had a goal chalked off for that, I would have been absolutely STEAMING.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Utter bobbins I'm afraid. Players ARE allowed to challenge the keeper for the ball, and this is still (supposedly) a contact sport. In no way was that a dangerous or unfair challenge on Ryan, he was just weak and lost out. If BHA had a goal chalked off for that, I would have been absolutely STEAMING.

Steaming or dehydrated you would have been wrong.

5c7e9a232300001c0422bb7f.jpeg

Steaming the wrong way!

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA

I suggest that you read Law 12.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I suggest that you read Law 12.

Well, I've just read the bit that says, ".........in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force": This covers challenging any player, including the goalkeeper. Therefore it is a subjective decision for which the referee is responsible. In the case on Saturday, if in the referee's consideration the challenge on Maty was not careless, reckless or using excessive force, there was no foul - and many people think he was quite right.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not true. You are just going by your specific reaction to the play. Maty was absolutely interfered with on that save and it should have been whistled right at that time. The referee was corrected and whatever happened after that should have been stopped by the whistle. GKs have forever been protected when touched in trying to make a play on the ball with their hands. Keepers have to be allowed to make the play with their hands or otherwise they would be kicked excessively. It's part of the game and was a corrected call for the referee who should have blown his whistle. How many more goalkeeper injuries do we want?

Forever? Geez! :facepalm:

I refer you to Wembley FA Cup finals in the 1950s, with specific reference to Ray Wood and Bert Trautmann!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, I've just read the bit that says, ".........in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force": This covers challenging any player, including the goalkeeper. Therefore it is a subjective decision for which the referee is responsible. In the case on Saturday, if in the referee's consideration the challenge on Maty was not careless, reckless or using excessive force, there was no foul - and many people think he was quite right.

Cheers GT, I couldn't really be arsed. Disallowing that goal for the challenge on Ryan was as soft as it gets. Nobody had any complaints in realtime - the notion that VAR ruled it our for a "clear and obvious error" there is utterly laughable. Had we been on the receiving end of that decision as opposed to (for once) the beneficiary, this place would have gone postal, and rightly so.

File it under "another VAR shambles" and crack on I suppose.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here