Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Assistance required - wfh - extra screen

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Last year I pinched a monitor from work, naively thinking I could just connect it to my laptop for the dual-screen experience. After an afternoon of cantankerous frustration with various wires, ports and connections, the best I could get was both screens up and running, but the mouse pointer stubbornly refusing to 'travel' between the two screens. After nearly headbutting my laptop, I gave up.

Went back to the office, nicked another screen and a works PC, and set it up accordingly, bypassing my laptop completely. Should've done that in the first place, but the FD was a bit 'angsty' about everyone taking IT equipment home. I made a case to him that I'm an exception because I'm SPECIAL. I'm happily still WFH using my 2 screens now.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Last year I pinched a monitor from work, naively thinking I could just connect it to my laptop for the dual-screen experience. After an afternoon of cantankerous frustration with various wires, ports and connections, the best I could get was both screens up and running, but the mouse pointer stubbornly refusing to 'travel' between the two screens. After nearly headbutting my laptop, I gave up.

Went back to the office, nicked another screen and a works PC, and set it up accordingly, bypassing my laptop completely. Should've done that in the first place, but the FD was a bit 'angsty' about everyone taking IT equipment home. I made a case to him that I'm an exception because I'm SPECIAL. I'm happily still WFH using my 2 screens now.

I can't even get a bloody chair out of my lot.....

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

Don't mean to ask a stupid question but... Did you try changing the orientation of the screens on your display settings?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Don't mean to ask a stupid question but... Did you try changing the orientation of the screens on your display settings?

Ooooh yes indeed. It would swap the screens over, but you try actually moving the mouse pointer between the two - it was having none of it. That pointer would get "stuck" at the side of the screen, and no amount of pissing about with numerous screen options / orientation would release that mouse pointer from my laptop screen across to the monitor, or vice-versa.

I'm no Stephen Hawking, but I can generally solve most IT problems myself. Not this though.

Anyway, its for the best. Why the hell should I use my own home IT equipment for work ? All kinds of filth might be transferred. I'd get cold sweats about 'sharing screens' with some other herbert in the office.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can't even get a bloody chair out of my lot.....

Thats one of the first things I took home in WFH S1 E1.

Then I realised how shit it was, and my birthday was coming up, so I sponged a real quality gaming chair off my parents. Its got a retractable FOOTSTOOL, which is absolutely perfect for my mid-afternoon snooze after another cheeky slightly extended liquid lunch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here