Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Asbestos survey and fire risk assessment.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I am the freeholder of a block of 4 purpose built flats in Brighton, that comprises of 2 flats on the ground floor, and 2 on the 1st floor. One of the ground floor flats is going to be sold, and apparently I have to arrange for an asbestos survey for the common parts and a fire risk assessment of the building. Please can any of you recommend someone / a company suitably qualified to carry out such work ?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
SAS Asbestos - ‭01892 723171‬

We use them up in London if ceilings, old flues, water tanks need taking out etc -They also do a postal service where you can send them a sample and will test it for much reduced price..!

BLFarris

Big Lad
Jan 26, 2021
I am the freeholder of a block of 4 purpose built flats in Brighton, that comprises of 2 flats on the ground floor, and 2 on the 1st floor. One of the ground floor flats is going to be sold, and apparently I have to arrange for an asbestos survey for the common parts and a fire risk assessment of the building. Please can any of you recommend someone / a company suitably qualified to carry out such work ?
Damian Fazackerley for Asbestos damian@dafconsulting.co.uk

Bruce Townsend for Fire Risk
bruce@thefireriskcompany.com

Both Brighton based and did a good job for me.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
You need to be getting your fire risk assessment done annually. Do not chose someone who charges £99 or something cheap like that. A proper fire risk assessment by a suitably qualified risk assessor will cost maybe £1000 (perhaps less as it is a small block).

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
The IFE (Institute of Fire Engineers) website has a register of risk assessors:

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Does anyone know......If one of these surveys shows that there are artex ceilings containing asbestos, is there any requirement to remove the artex ?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Does anyone know......If one of these surveys shows that there are artex ceilings containing asbestos, is there any requirement to remove the artex ?
There is no legal requirement to remove ANY Asbestos Containing Material (ACM) from a building.

ACMs simply need to be managed i.e. not disturbed until there is a need for their removal, usually at demolition stage.

Funnily enough I have just come back from a clients site having done a reinspection survey where some ACM's (pipe lagging) need to be removed but not because their condition has got worse; however they are in the way of planned refurbishment work. Just writing the Survey Report at the moment.

Please PM if you need more information. Have been doing work with asbestos for 37 years so might be able to help!

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
There is no legal requirement to remove ANY Asbestos Containing Material (ACM) from a building.

ACMs simply need to be managed i.e. not disturbed until there is a need for their removal, usually at demolition stage.

Funnily enough I have just come back from a clients site having done a reinspection survey where some ACM's (pipe lagging) need to be removed but not because their condition has got worse; however they are in the way of planned refurbishment work. Just writing the Survey Report at the moment.

Please PM if you need more information. Have been doing work with asbestos for 37 years so might be able to help!
PM sent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here