Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] As a Newcastle fan

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Did the coaches go from Pool Valley then and what time did you get back ? I've always asked questions about that day as I've wanted to piece together folk's experiences.

Although I was only 10, I remember those few days so well. Thatcher won the election on the Thursday and I went to a village hall in Danehill on the Friday for a weekend stay with the BB.

I remember on the Saturday we were at Sheffield Park when the Albion were playing. I spent half that weekend ringing home I hated being away so much.

My family went to the bus thing on the Sunday and I was stuck in the middle of the countryside.
Gosh it was over 40 years ago! I'm pretty sure it was Pool Valley (Seagulls Express??) I remember it took me a while to find the coach after the game so probably didn't leave until about 5:30pm. The games used to finish more or less on time in those days. I reckon we got back about 1am

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Very immature this. A normal guy not in control of his boyhood club gets unnecessary crap for congratulating us. 😴
Seems unnecessary in this context & certainly harsh on the OP but what @GingerBeerMan is talking about is bigger & more important than either of our clubs. The Newcastle owners shouldn't be within a million miles of our game

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'm guessing a victory that kept Sunderland down probably helped !

I wasn't there, being only 10, but I do wonder what time folk got back. Were you on the charter train thingy ?
We went regular BR InterCity, got back to Brighton about 10pm. Standing room only for the 100’s miles from Newcastle to Kings Cross. I was just kid and only found out many years later the players train arrived at Brighton about midnight, to be greeted by 10,000 roaring supporters. Wish I’d been there.

brighton_dave

Apr 13, 2016
Seems unnecessary in this context & certainly harsh on the OP but what @GingerBeerMan is talking about is bigger & more important than either of our clubs. The Newcastle owners shouldn't be within a million miles of our game
Couldn't agree more. They shouldn't be anywhere near a football club nor Joelington playing straight after being charged for drink driving. He would be publicly flogged by them for that!
Just a bit of silly response when the chap has come to say we'll done. Perhaps a thanks and then reference he despises the regime!👍

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I have to say watching you guys is an absolute pure pleasure. Fantastic to watch. Fancy you for the Cup this year.
I remember my brother had a Geordie friend at Uni. He gave me loads of programmes. Never forgotten that. Great folk.

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
I'm guessing a victory that kept Sunderland down probably helped !

I wasn't there, being only 10, but I do wonder what time folk got back. Were you on the charter train thingy ?
I was on the charter train and I believe we got back to Brighton around 4 in the morning.

birthofanorange

NSC Patreon
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Did the coaches go from Pool Valley then and what time did you get back ? I've always asked questions about that day as I've wanted to piece together folk's experiences.

Although I was only 10, I remember those few days so well. Thatcher won the election on the Thursday and I went to a village hall in Danehill on the Friday for a weekend stay with the BB.

I remember on the Saturday we were at Sheffield Park when the Albion were playing. I spent half that weekend ringing home I hated being away so much.

My family went to the bus thing on the Sunday and I was stuck in the middle of the countryside.
Yep, was on a coach from Pool Valley and got dumped (somewhere) outside Newcastle about 6am, as they wouldn't let the Brighton fans into town until nearer the match.
There was a lot of curtain twitching at that time of the morning, as a hell of a lot of coaches unloaded Brighton fans into a sleepy place.
I don't recall any hassle at all, prior to the match, but coach windows were smashed on the way out, after the win.
That said, we were all pretty oblivious due to the huge quantities of beer that were taken.
Oh, the days where you could drink and smoke on the coach....sorely missed. :)

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I also went from Pool Valley and we had to spend the morning in Whitley Bay. Fry up and a lovely walk around until the pubs opened.
I was 18.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I went up from Portsmouth, I had been on duty the Friday night and sneaked off at 6am. The train cost about 15’quid if I remember rightly. Got to Newcastle about 2 o’clock, no time for a drink up, but as the trains weren’t dry I’d had enough anyway. Met some mates there who’d come up on the charter train, so I bunked it with them home. Got back to Worthing at about 6 o’ clock, and played football at 10.30 What a fantastic weekend.

When I was based at Rosyth I’d often weekend in Newcastle with Geordie shipmates. Lovely people, I’m planning on taking Mrs LFF to Newcastle for next season’s game up there, would have been this season, but a kitchen fire at home has left me a bit financially knackered.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I have to say watching you guys is an absolute pure pleasure. Fantastic to watch. Fancy you for the Cup this year.
Looking forward to coming up to your place should be a great contest between 2 sides having a great season.

Just one comment about St James, I just wish you'd move the away fans to an area closer to the pitch. I actually think it would improve the atmosphere all round...

Acas

Feb 4, 2021
Some nice replies. Watching you against Liverpool, I turned round to my boy and said " son, we give the ball to this lot, we won't get it back for a while ".

As for Mr Ginger beer man's comments, on this occasion, I think I can safely speak on behalf of probably all our fan base on this topic. Does it leave a bitter taste in our mouths the human rights issues of our new owners ? Yes of course. But there is nothing we can do about the sale. Supporting another team for me - as it is for you people too - is not a multiple choice. I'm stuck with Newcastle but frankly, I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm 58, a granddad and watched my first Toon match when I was 4. Suffice to say I have grey hair.😄.

Back to the topic, you guys. I do think you'll get a European spot, comfortably and I will close on this. There is no reason why you guys should fear anyone. No one. You keep the ball really well, the players are free to express themselves and it shows. Take care all, all the best for the rest of the season, gonna be good I think.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Dunno bud, but you are really good on the eye, and annoyingly rarely give the ball away.
Against Liverpool (cup game) we were somewhat below par in that regard. Hopefully normal service will be resumed against Bournemouth, who are something of a bogey side for us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here