Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article: Season Preview 2021/22 - Hedging My Bets

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Good assessment. Totally agree about full/wing backs. It's almost looking as though we need one on either side, especially as it seems GP doesn't think Karbownik is ready yet. That said, a replacement LB/LWB looks the higher priority to me.
I think we might play a back four a bit more this season, but a back three/five will feature regularly. With Ostigard gone, as CBs we have Burn, Dunk, Duffy, Veltman and Webster. In the absence of Lamptey, both Veltman and, at a push, Webster can fill in at RB/RWB. Of the midfielders, all of Gross, Mwepu, Moder and Alzate can probably play RB/RWB, although it's far from ideal, however ...
... We're clearly overloaded with talented midfielders and fitting them all in is the key conundrum. It's difficult to identify which are going to shine the brightest, but if I had to go for one, it'd be Moder, who ust seems to have so much to his game.
You're spot on about forwards, we really need to ship a fair few out, and that's almost the highest priority. Locadia will be difficult to shift and we might have to bite the bullet, I've never expected much from Tau and the noises are more encouraging about an exit. Maupay, Welbeck, Trossard (if he's a forward) and probably Andone are the ones that we need to keep. Connolly needs to find a way to grow up and recognise that he needs to fulfil his talent on the pitch, and keep the headlines off it -- a Championship loan seems the best bet for him. I quite like Zeqiri but, if we get a new striker, then a Championship loan would suit him too.

I've gone for a 13th finish, and could even go a few places higher. I've also made my views on Potter, Ashworth, Winstanley et al pretty clear. I expect we'll get two quality signings (a LB/LWB and a striker/wide forward) in before the window closes -- there will be multiple quality availability especially as the window's closure draws nearer.
In terms of competition, I have Norwich, Watford and Southampton in the relegation zone. Brentford ought to survive, but I think we'll finish above them, as we will with Palace, who are vulnerable this season especially (getting rid of Cahill was daft) with a huge shake-up to negotiate. I can see us finishing above Wolves too. Burnley are in trouble, but I think they'll go down next season rather than this (Dyche's contract has one year left, ditto Tarkowski). For some reason, I have Newcastle finishing 12th -- St Maximin, Wilson, Willock, Almiron and defensive solidity has swung that for me.

I have little doubt that I'll be badly wrong on several things though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here