Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal strip Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang of captaincy

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He was a crap choice of captain anyway. If I recall, he was given the captaincy as part of a push to get him to sign a new contract because he was making eyes elsewhere. Just add him to the long line of Arsenal players given long term, massive contracts to fix short term issues.

I think the rule of "if a player wants to leave, don't make them captain" usually works. I think there's also a difference between "agitating for a move" i.e. Aubameyang and "open to a move". I know Dunk was allegedly looking to move on at some point, but as far as I'm aware, his commitment to keeping doing it on the field for us and leading by example has never waned.

*cough* Steven Gerrard *cough*

Aubameyang struck me as nice enough, if a bit dim. Not all footballers are the sharpest tools....and when I saw him playing, wearing Nile Rogers' hat over hair extensions, I started to wonder if he's all there.

The manager there is quite ruthless so this isn't going to end well....

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This may well be an absolute blessing in disguise for Arteta. Surely the player will be shipped out now, even if it's on loan and arsenal can shift 1/6 of his salary.

Despite the hilarious nature of that club in recent years they now have a really exciting core of young players in the starting line up. Ramsdale, Tierney, White, Gabriel, Tomiyasu, Smith Rowe, Saka all 24 and under I believe.

Tierney looks pure captain material to me.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
*cough* Steven Gerrard *cough*

Aubameyang struck me as nice enough, if a bit dim. Not all footballers are the sharpest tools....and when I saw him playing, wearing Nile Rogers' hat over hair extensions, I started to wonder if he's all there.

The manager there is quite ruthless so this isn't going to end well....

Gerrard was already captain at Liverpool when the Chelsea thing came up, they didn't give him the armband to make him stay. He stayed because the Liverpool fans, how to put it delicately... made it difficult for him to leave.

On Aubameyang, I'm not saying he's a bad person, just a bad captain

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Martin Keown said Ben White, Ramsdale, Tierney.... Ben White doesn't strike me as captain material
Fair enough, but I was talking about fans phoning in rather than pundits. I think a lot of Arsenal fans haven't forgiven him for taking Saliba's place, and they'd rather have kept Saliba (and the £50M as well!)
Interestingly, Arteta did describe him as a 'future captain' when he signed him.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
He signed a new contract last year apparently. Big money wages.

Going to be difficult to offload him if that's what they're planning.

Yeh, he's on £300k p/w and right now, after this, his "market value" what someone else would pay him, is probably no more than £120k p/w.

They ain't shifting him anytime soon

D

Deleted member 2719

The lad had an attitude dripping off him.

Good move from Arsenal.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Gerrard was already captain at Liverpool when the Chelsea thing came up, they didn't give him the armband to make him stay. He stayed because the Liverpool fans, how to put it delicately... made it difficult for him to leave.

On Aubameyang, I'm not saying he's a bad person, just a bad captain

OK, fair enough. It struck me at the time that the captaincy was a bauble to help see off his future suitors. Perhaps I remember incorrectly.

Arsenal have had an issue over captains for some years. Didn't one of the managers let the squad select the captain themselves? All seems a bit wanky to me :shrug:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
OK, fair enough. It struck me at the time that the captaincy was a bauble to help see off his future suitors. Perhaps I remember incorrectly.

Arsenal have had an issue over captains for some years. Didn't one of the managers let the squad select the captain themselves? All seems a bit wanky to me :shrug:

Yeah I'd forgotten that. It's how they ended up with Granit Xhaka. They had 7 skippers from 1980-2011, and have had the same amount in the last 10 with no one over two years in the role. That said, Arsenal; have had a notable lack of on pitch leadership for years.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
yt_pl_everyaubameyanggoal_200317.jpg

What? You say I'm no longer captain? Well, I'm not going down with the ship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here