Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Arsenal Postponed

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I’m sorry for Mr Arteta and wish him a speedy recovery, but I’m very relieved that the game is off.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
It’s absolutely moronic to try and persist with completing the football season. Of course it creates huge legal and financial complexities, but public health has to be the priority. These are absolutely bizarre, unprecedented times but we have to get our priorities in order.

In the broader context of the problem, sport literally doesn’t matter.

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
According to a health expert on Newsnight earlier, the virus is not expected to peak for another 14 weeks.

Stopping the season now is inevitable. But what to do when they start playing again?

Continue this season? Let's guess we are ready to start playing again at the start of September. The season won't finish until Christmas! And that is relying on all other countries coming to the same decision.

Definitely can't call the season over now, and decide promotion and relegation on current positions. There would be so many law suits.

Simplest move is just to cancel this season and start anew in September.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
According to a health expert on Newsnight earlier, the virus is not expected to peak for another 14 weeks.

Stopping the season now is inevitable. But what to do when they start playing again?

Continue this season? Let's guess we are ready to start playing again at the start of September. The season won't finish until Christmas! And that is relying on all other countries coming to the same decision.

Definitely can't call the season over now, and decide promotion and relegation on current positions. There would be so many law suits.

Inevitable now, and the best of all the bad solutions.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Cant imagine Liverpool will be happy, if after a 30 year wait they are denied the Title when its almost mathematically impossible anyone could catch them this season.
I know a lot of people will find that amusing on here though.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
It would appear the number of infections is much higher than being reported with all these well known celebrities, actors, sports stars etc being tested positive for Covid-19?

If they are the sample size and this many of them testing positive there is no way it can be as low as being claimed. It's just they are being tested and many of us aren't.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

No football for six months ...ugh

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Cant imagine Liverpool will be happy, if after a 30 year wait they are denied the Title when its almost mathematically impossible anyone could catch them this season.

No... there wouldn’t be anything amusing about that whatsoever...

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK

I suppose you *could* award Liverpool the title, seeing it has no knock on effect to the next season.

But promotion and relegation issues are a completely different matter. Still lots of points to play for and many changes will occur.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It’s absolutely moronic to try and persist with completing the football season. Of course it creates huge legal and financial complexities, but public health has to be the priority. These are absolutely bizarre, unprecedented times but we have to get our priorities in order.

In the broader context of the problem, sport literally doesn’t matter.

Tend to agree with this. If there was a global conflict aka WWII, then sport would cease. Not sure anyone was thinking about lawsuits back in the day. This is heading the same way.

Personally, and I suppose our current position might influence that, is that the peak is going to be in about 14 weeks, then that is mid to late June. That is just the peak so that doesn't mean everything is back to normal a week later. Just as the disease will ramp up, it's likely to take a few weeks to ramp down. That could mean it could be as late as July before things are ok to start up again meaning the season wouldn't finish until mid Sept!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I've commented on the 14 weeks elsewhere but that health expert seemed to be at odds with practically everyone on the panel and seem to advocate listening to what the public want (that's the public that have been panic buying) rather than the experts. He also seemed reluctant to listen to anyone that didn't agree with him.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
I suppose you *could* award Liverpool the title, seeing it has no knock on effect to the next season.

But promotion and relegation issues are a completely different matter. Still lots of points to play for and many changes will occur.

I wonder if there would be more or less legal challenges if they just decided to "freeze" the season as is and award promotion/relegation/titles/euro places based on current positions. Oh and scrap the play-offs of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here