Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we too nice?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't think we are that nice , the yellows and reds bare that out compared to other teams ( if given correctly of course) .

Potter is a 4th officals dream , though the other day he did go batshit Hughton and chucked a innocent water bottle to the floor .

If you watch managers like Dyche , for instance they're constantly in the 4th official and Linesmen ear we are very very nice , we simply don't do that , and haven't for years .

I'm not sure of the benefits of screaming at officials has but certainly as a linesman they must hear and take on board some of the guff managers scream at them .

I noticed the non English speaking Bielsa ranting at the 4th official v West Ham the other night , it must have really pissed off the 4th official because in the end he lost his shit and pushed the linguistically challenged loon back to his bucket .

Indeed. Some people seem to think that officials are thinking "this man is screaming at me, I want to do him favours". Not so sure its the case.

Mar 7, 2021
lack physicality

not about nice, but about physical presence - we seem to lack power in some places

there's also a degree of nous missing which you might expect from players that are inexperienced at this level

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
We are possibly a bit too naive, not unnecessarily nice. Veltman knows what he's doing. The thing is, if you're going to make a foul, do it early, near half way line as possible. I do think Burn has been done a couple of times and missed the opportunity to take the man (Arsenal, Palace, Wolves?). One time he realised this and ended up hacking the bloke down in the box (Traore, Wolves). I'm sure it's something the players are aware of - maybe even something they've been instructed not to do since we seemed to haemorrhage set piece goals.

The below draws focus to our main area of concern which someone kindly put together on twitter. You can't help but smile.

https://twitter.com/OFComps/status/1369317241276276743?s=19

It also highlights that, while Maups draws a lot of attention regarding the missed opportunities, we have shared the them around the team. Maybe we're too nice to the ball and need to stop asking politely for it to roll over the line.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
There's certain players in football that know how to play the game in terms of getting referee's decisions, slowing the game down when needed, making tactical fouls, wasting time in the last 10 minutes, and generally not letting the opposition get any rhythm going. We are certainly short of those types of players. Obviously the ideal way to get a decent result in a match is to play good football and score lots of goals, but when you're a bottom half of the league team you should be aware that quite often you'll play vastly better teams & that isnt possible for 90 minutes. The reality is then that when you play United/City/Spurs/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea etc yes you've got to play nice football but you've also got to use your brain a bit & incorporate some of the dark arts. We just dont do it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There's certain players in football that know how to play the game in terms of getting referee's decisions, slowing the game down when needed, making tactical fouls, wasting time in the last 10 minutes, and generally not letting the opposition get any rhythm going. We are certainly short of those types of players. Obviously the ideal way to get a decent result in a match is to play good football and score lots of goals, but when you're a bottom half of the league team you should be aware that quite often you'll play vastly better teams & that isnt possible for 90 minutes. The reality is then that when you play United/City/Spurs/Liverpool/Arsenal/Chelsea etc yes you've got to play nice football but you've also got to use your brain a bit & incorporate some of the dark arts. We just dont do it.

Which is why Potter is getting it wrong, IMO. he has players with tools 1-7 and trying to play games requiring tools 6-10 yes theres some overlap but we continually fall short.

its like trying to carve ivory netsuke with an axe.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Which is why Potter is getting it wrong, IMO. he has players with tools 1-7 and trying to play games requiring tools 6-10 yes theres some overlap but we continually fall short.

its like trying to carve ivory netsuke with an axe.

They got the tools "1-7"? I'm seeing a squad not exactly built to the kind of rough-neck hoofball you and others seem to think would result in success...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I never suggested roughneck football, you do like to make shit up to bolster your love in.

I've been suggesting a change of style to counter opposition, better suited to our abilities, in order to achive the objective, which is PL survival.

general concencus is the squad and players are good enough to achieve that, but our manager doesn't seem to be achieving it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I do wonder whether the "no dickheads" rule which we've applied has also meant we don't have that really nasty ****er anywhere who can take an occasion by the scruff of the neck and do something about it. Can't imagine a Roy Keane type would have allowed the Palace / West Brom debacles to have taken place. We moan about Dyche's Burnley but there's a reason they manage to scrape the points and we don't, and it's nothing to do with quality.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I do wonder whether the "no dickheads" rule which we've applied has also meant we don't have that really nasty ****er anywhere who can take an occasion by the scruff of the neck and do something about it. Can't imagine a Roy Keane type would have allowed the Palace / West Brom debacles to have taken place. We moan about Dyche's Burnley but there's a reason they manage to scrape the points and we don't, and it's nothing to do with quality.

There is a difference between No Dickheads and no balls, admittedly it's a fine line. As has been said, we're lacking in leadership, not a captain, but shepherds on the pitch as opposed to sheep.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Oh for a Charlie Oatway and Danny Cullip to really add some steel to this team..

And add in a dollop of Paul Clark and a healthy glug of Nobby Horton and you've got Psycho City and are good to go.

We just dont have any players with their steel any longer. There is just no "nasty" in our squad now (Adone excepted of course)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

ttgg

Aug 6, 2020
I agree we are definitely way too nice , the opposition defenders know our lads try and stay up for one thing . I would hate us to become a bunch of diving divas , but sometimes our lads make it easy for the ref to not have to make a decision ( if that makes any sense ) .

If you look at our last few games , every time one of their little girls goes anywhere near BDB they fall over like ten pins , so a descent ref wouldn`t go a miss once in a while . But maybe it`s time for a little " sauce for the goose " approach ? .

..and yet

Screenshot 2021-03-10 124902.png

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Bit more like it. I can’t tell if it’s a humorous response to the post title, or you genuinely want me to **** off, but either/both responses are perfectly reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

a Firm but fair tackle, laying down the kind of marker some of our players might consider doing. . .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bit more like it. I can’t tell if it’s a humorous response to the post title, or you genuinely want me to **** off, but either/both responses are perfectly reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was being ironic.

FFS.

:wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here