Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are we heading back to the "bad old days"?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Is there really a link with economic causes when it comes to football violence?

It was a constant from the 60’s to 80’s, through recessions, high employment and booms. Lots of middle age blokes here are quite nostalgic about taking part …. did you do it because Harold Wilson or James Callaghan had left you behind? Or because you loved the buzz?

Convicted blokes are often in good jobs, this was certainly true of Chelsea and Millwall thugs in recent years. Many times tw@ts in their 30’s, 40’s and 50’s, even some father and sons, so not victims of not being able to get on the property ladder.

In recent years I’ve known two who still fight/attack rival fans. A 55 year old plasterer Albion fan, who does the Brighton Station pubs thing when there are hated clubs in town, taking weekdays off special. The other a qualified accountant Spuds fan (Sussex born n bred), a big bloke, his hobby hurting Arsenal fans before their derby.

Imho just that age old thing, of intoxicated males who want to beat senseless anyone from another city. Tribalism makes it sound glamorous.
Indeed,... it was a sign of the times, we were a very tribal society, not just football, ... Even tribalism in music, tribalism in fashion..... For 20 or 30 years the youth competed for the streets so to speak, for the rights to be top dog. Whilst economics were certainly a hot topic during those times, that wasn't largely the concern of the majority of those who chose to demonstrate their allegiances through tribal disorder based on music, football, fashion or in fact a combination of all three.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My experience is that there’s definitely been an increase in coke-driven, very male, loud, lairy “banter” culture across English society. It’s no wonder football, with its added tensions and tribal nature, is seeing this as well.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
My experience is that there’s definitely been an increase in coke-driven, very male, loud, lairy “banter” culture across English society. It’s no wonder football, with its added tensions and tribal nature, is seeing this as well.
In the 80’90’s the football lads still had plenty of sniff on a Saturday it’s another myth like these people just want violence they don’t care about the football club, it’s because they are potless from bad neighbourhoods broken homes etc etc.

Like anything in life there are a few exceptions yet on the whole it’s a culture for young men no different from the mods and the rockers, punks or the skinheads. It’s not always about violence the clothes are a big part of scene again no different from any other culture. To blow another myth the wearing of expensive sports wear originated from fans of British clubs playing in Europe and liking what the young lads following European teams were wearing, football disorder didn’t originate in England and it was never just the English disease.

To answer the OP the casual scene has never left football since it originated young men will still be impressionable young men and it will probably continue for decades to come.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Is there really a link with economic causes when it comes to football violence?

It was a constant from the 60’s to 80’s, through recessions, high employment and booms. Lots of middle age blokes here are quite nostalgic about taking part …. did you do it because Harold Wilson or James Callaghan had left you behind? Or because you loved the buzz?

Convicted blokes are often in good jobs, this was certainly true of Chelsea and Millwall thugs in recent years. Many times tw@ts in their 30’s, 40’s and 50’s, even some father and sons, so not victims of not being able to get on the property ladder.

In recent years I’ve known two who still fight/attack rival fans. A 55 year old plasterer Albion fan, who does the Brighton Station pubs thing when there are hated clubs in town, taking weekdays off special. The other a qualified accountant Spuds fan (Sussex born n bred), a big bloke, his hobby hurting Arsenal fans before their derby.

Imho just that age old thing, of intoxicated males who want to beat senseless anyone from another city. Tribalism makes it sound glamorous.
No. It’s just people using hooliganism to support their favoured narrative. At Chester last week there were older fans in with the young ones smashing coaches and confronting Brackley supporters. It’s not exactly a deprived area. Just the usual hangers on for big games who turn up pissed as an extension of their Friday night out. The point I am making is these people have the money for their football day out. People who actually live in poverty can’t afford such days out.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
....with a slight added nuance.... in society in general, not especially football, this laddish behaviour is often now demonstrated by the fairer sex ...
( disclaimer: not referencing any non-binary gender preferences is not an indication of gender issue support one way or another... ).

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Quite a few videos doing the rounds on Twitter from normal (ish) sites like Football Awaydays of fights kicking off in grounds again. Arsenal fan being turfed out of the family stand at Newcastle for example, Wigan and (IIRC) Reading having a bit of biffo too. Then, last night, browsing on my way home from London a tweet was sent to me of a link for noddy old Bournemouth who've had issues with tickets going to the wrong people, ejections, drugs and pyro to such an extent that they've brought in far more stringent rules than we have for their last aways this season and will ID everyone going.

Are we heading for the 1980s again or is this all a bit of banter and harmless fun?

If the former, what's to blame? Post lockdown exuberance? Gear? An unhealthy obsession with Euro Ultra culture?
Post lockdown, plus cocaine being too cheap.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Now you know what to get her for Christmas this year dishwashers are the perfect gift 😂🤣
Don't get me started.

They are useful, if you used them to do the washing up.

If, however you use them as a storage space for dirty cutlery, crockery and pans, out of sight and out of mind, and your other half finds himself, one morning having to fish a dirty cup, spoon and bowl out of the dishwasher, encrusted, and have to scrape them clean in the sink in order to be able to eat a delicious breakfast, because the entire household supply of such have been used and not washed, then I say no! f*** no. f*** off, no! No, f*** off!

We now no longer have a dishwasher. There is only so much stuff you can leave in the sink overnight to go crusty, or to marinate in water leaving a fatty ring around the meniscus to be enjoyed in the morning. Meanwhile the cupboards have stuff in them to use.

(The problem is I am a wash up after eating sort of cove, but Mrs T doesn't like the chinking and clinking sound it makes, being sensitive of hearing, so I'm banned, whereas she is a leave-it-till-later merchant. I can see a perfect storm a-brewing ???).

:thumbsup:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It's not obvious at all. Either he's suggesting that the people involved are not poor (which at least some of them certainly are, if not the overwhelming majority), or it is in fact a wealthier contingent that is now getting involved with this behaviour.

Crime, drug use and violence is in an upward trend across the board in this country, which is clearly as a result of life discontenment drawn from extreme economic difficulty, amongst other instigating factors. It is not a football problem, it is a societal one.
It’s you that is making the link. Have you got any figures on the socio economic situation of hooligans to back any of this up ? It would also be handy to see some figures on people in poverty not involved in football hooliganism, just for some context and to try to understand this causation you claim.
Next season Wrexham will be back in the league and you can be sure that will attract a fair few at many clubs to make a big day out of it. A few local derbies in there as well. The police will be well aware that these higher risk games would be higher risk in any season in the past 60 odd years. Nothing to do with any of the reasons you are coming up with.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
....with a slight added nuance.... in society in general, not especially football, this laddish behaviour is often now demonstrated by the fairer sex ...
( disclaimer: not referencing any non-binary gender preferences is not an indication of gender issue support one way or another... ).
Maybe, but I havnt seen large groups of slightly over weigh women with sleeve tattoos, necking pints, trotting off to the loos every ten minutes, bumping into you and laughing loudly and ostentatiously at absolutely everything which is being spoken.

They shreak a lot after a few white wines in All Bar One, but that’s it

Last edited:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Maybe, but I havnt seen large groups of slightly over weigh women with sleeve tattoos, necking pints, trotting off to the loos every ten minutes, bumping into you and laughing loudly and ostentatiously at absolutely everything which is being spoken.

That would be every UK town centre on a Friday and Saturday night....

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Don't get me started.

They are useful, if you used them to do the washing up.

If, however you use them as a storage space for dirty cutlery, crockery and pans, out of sight and out of mind, and your other half finds himself, one morning having to fish a dirty cup, spoon and bowl out of the dishwasher, encrusted, and have to scrape them clean in the sink in order to be able to eat a delicious breakfast, because the entire household supply of such have been used and not washed, then I say no! f*** no. f*** off, no! No, f*** off!

We now no longer have a dishwasher. There is only so much stuff you can leave in the sink overnight to go crusty, or to marinate in water leaving a fatty ring around the meniscus to be enjoyed in the morning. Meanwhile the cupboards have stuff in them to use.

(The problem is I am a wash up after eating sort of cove, but Mrs T doesn't like the chinking and clinking sound it makes, being sensitive of hearing, so I'm banned, whereas she is a leave-it-till-later merchant. I can see a perfect storm a-brewing ???).

:thumbsup:
I’m with you there if there is one place in the home I can’t stand a mess it’s the kitchen as we have a kitchen/lounge it’s even more critical to keep it spotless. Waking up to yesterday dishes is definitely a no no I actually find it depressing.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

You’ve never been to Croydon ?

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Cocaine is absolutely everywhere, and I mean everywhere, in London at least. Many are completely oblivious to how many 18-30y/o’s are on the stuff and mixed with alcohol the results are inevitable.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Ecstasy/MDMA (yes, my avatar!) has probably saved my life in terms of relationships and self esteem after my car crash in February. I think for anyone who's ever taken it will likely be able to understand what I'm posting and what that means. The positive thoughts have to be used in a constructive way of being who you are and what you have experienced. It has allowed me to get back control of my life to a certain extent and accept, that ok, a terrible thing happened but it is not going to bring me down in a depressive state anymore. For me to feel my powerful emotions and take my own steps to recovery is about letting go and that I have such a lot to be thankful for. I have only taken it twice since February and before that, it was well over ten years previously - was I ready for the first dose again? It was STRONG after all that time and, despite a brief panic attack, well, I was in good company with my girlfriend who listened and listened some more to my worst fears but also my greatest hopes of getting my life back on track, which I seem to be doing - slowly. And it's ok for it to take time. The knockbacks have come inevitability which maybe three or four years ago, would have made me pity myself and stuck in a rut. Now it's about moving forward. I have got my CV updated and want to be ambitious.

You see, it's everything that cocaine isn't. The false confidence mixed with alcohol is damaging society, leading to fights, a criminal record, financial ruin, and a ticking timebomb of young people needing professional help for their expensive habit every weekend.

To a lot of members on here, my post might not make sense if you've only dabbled in having a spliff at college, or have a few alcoholic beverages occasionally. To others, it has probably been the best solution for me and for about the first time in my life, I am looking forward to the future with the exciting challenges ahead! I'm also relieved to be so honest and not drunk or stoned out of my head!

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
I've never met anyone interesting on coke, it's the worst drug for making very dull people think that they're somehow interesting. Coke is for divs and spivs. As far as hooliganism goes i don't know the stats, but it's no where near what it was like 15 years ago it was much worse then.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here