Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Are we guilty of starting the chant, that has now hit the headlines in Huddersfield.....

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
My dad lays claim to having started it up at Peterborough in response to the usual “we can see you holding hands” and I’ve always taken it as a positive in support of our brothers or sisters or, erm, them/they who choose to live their life their way in this wonderful of democracy of ours.

In short we shouldn’t stop singing it because it forces the issue IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree BT. You run the risk of being arrested, charged, found guilty and having 5 million ‘thumbs down’ before you can even say ‘but I was being ironic, we’ve sung it for 20 years no problem m’lord....’ No one will care about that, not in the blaze of publicity surrounding it which means you lose your job, house. Then the wife walks out, you lose custody of the kids, even the goldfish find a new pond. Your second hard winter on the streets becomes too much so you die, intoxicated on white spirits wondering how it ever got to this, your reputation in tatters and remembered only as a homophobic gammon...

Of course, this is nonsense isn’t it? Except comparably I know someone who’s at third base in such a scenario and I’m really worried for him (though at least he hasn’t got any goldfish). He’s not the first and won’t be the last. And all because he replied on a company phone with a emoji thumbs up to something sent on a group text he really only sent to acknowledge receipt rather than signalling agreement. Oh, and a female friend fired from a Directors position over something just as ridiculous. She’s having CBT for panic attacks for the first time aged 46, her confidence destroyed. Oh, and another friends wife suspended from teaching for two years because of a malicious complaint by two chavvy parents looking for financial reward....(she too became suicidal and suffers still despite court throwing it out and clearing her name because after all that publicity, well, there’s ‘no smoke without fire’ is there, eh? Regardless what the judge ruled. The internet gossip is still THE reliable 1st witness isn’t it?

Nope, it’s 2020 and people are increasingly guilty until proved innocent so do not, do NOT, be tempted to sail close to the aforementioned shore. Those preaching tolerance are the least tolerant themselves and anything, just the tiniest misconstrued remark may destroy you. Like using the word ‘gay’ in an ironic football chant. It’s just not worth it and I’d hate to see you dashed upon the rocks similarly.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:thumbsup: quite so.

As pointed out I have no recollection of us being subject to homophobic chanting at home games this season and therefore we haven't sung "our song" in response. But if the homophobic chants start up again, I'll be singing our riposte with great gusto as I have always done.

The chant is highly offensive to those people who spend their lives looking for something to take offence at, especially on behalf of somebody else.........

......so carry on chanting it with gusto!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here