Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are people really this stupid ?

bha100

Aug 25, 2011
Yes they are imvho

It's very simple, if you are going to give your child a card to buy a game, you simply give them a prepaid card with which you load a certain sum of money so if an attempt to make further charges to said card where made the transactions would not be authorized.

Not like this thicko Steve Cumming who gave his debit card that was clearly linked to his current account then complains it was charged over 4k as the game had on going charges for the game his daughter was playing, no wonder some people get scammed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53272411

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Sounds to me that the person whose child spent the £4K was just having a " look at us " moment where they tell the world they have enough money in their account for their child could go on a £4K spending spree. Knowing full well that other parents of others around them might not. Whilst all the while pretending to be outraged.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Yes they are imvho

It's very simple, if you are going to give your child a card to buy a game, you simply give them a prepaid card with which you load a certain sum of money so if an attempt to make further charges to said card where made the transactions would not be authorized.

Not like this thicko Steve Cumming who gave his debit card that was clearly linked to his current account then complains it was charged over 4k as the game had on going charges for the game his daughter was playing, no wonder some people get scammed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53272411

Yes but you would think that a bank that sometimes asks you to authenticate your grocery shop to maybe ask a question over 4k. Last time I made a big payment on steam my bank made me authorise it and it was tiny compared to that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sounds to me that the person whose child spent the £4K was just having a " look at us " moment where they tell the world they have enough money in their account for their child could go on a £4K spending spree. Knowing full well that other parents of others around them might not. Whilst all the while pretending to be outraged.

I dont know... a 72 year old might not completely understand the concept of microtransactions in modern phone/computer games.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
The guy sounds clueless. He didn’t have time to go to a cash machine. Erm, not sure he knows how online in game purchases work.

His kid sounds smarter than him.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
He's 72 and 'not very tech-savvy'. I wouldn't say he's necessarily stupid, just an old gimmer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes.

Now what's the context of the thread title? :lol:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Typically harsh comments.

This subject is in the news at the moment because of the push to change gambling laws.

The bloke was an old man when Gameboys came out, he's got no chance now. Unless you've read about it I'm not sure anyone would anticipate being charged 4k in a month on a children's game.

Regardless of his lack of knowledge, £4k in one month with no checks is pretty outrageous. It's legalised scamming and child addiction all rolled into one, but yeah, let's focus on the old bloke for getting caught out! :shrug:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I'm 35 and relatively tech-savvy.

If I used my card to buy a game online, I would assume it's a one-off payment and I wouldn't be charged further without need for putting in then CV2 or doing bank verification. The only reason I'd know differently is because stories like this pop up from time to time.

AlbionBro

Jun 6, 2020
I would say this man's brains are in his Y fronts as he is in his 70s and has an 11 year old.
Fair play to him.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I gave my card to my little boy Rupert and he spent over £2,000,000 on Fortnite. I completely forgot that I'd given it to the little blighter, bless him. I was going to punish him but he's been such a jolly chap since his little spend that I let him off with a warning. I know I should sack his Nanny for negligence, but if I let her go she's bound to tell about being kept in the cellar and all the other stuff.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm 35 and relatively tech-savvy.

If I used my card to buy a game online, I would assume it's a one-off payment and I wouldn't be charged further without need for putting in then CV2 or doing bank verification. The only reason I'd know differently is because stories like this pop up from time to time.

I think the targeted audience for these games are people who do not have alll the horses at home. Like kids and women. And to **** over some oldies.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I think the targeted audience for these games are people who do not have alll the horses at home. Like kids and women. And to **** over some oldies.

Never mind all that, get that f***ing carpet cleaned!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Wow .... just wow.

And quite amazing coming from someone that is too stupid to eat a healthy meal and clean his flat !

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Hook, line and sinker...

Remember guys, there's a lot of fun games to play that doesnt involve microtransactions. Dont feed the wolves.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here