Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are Albion genuinely in danger of being in a relegation battle next season in your opinion

Are Albion genuinely in danger of being in a relegation battle next season

• Total voters

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Probably more disappointed that Potter never took the cups seriously at all, a quick exit from the FA Cup is all I can imagine, after he rings the changes, RDZ definitely shifted perspective on that.
No doubt is the two wins against PL opposition in the four domestic cups with RDZ in charge a step up from the quite dire cup results under Potter.
But no need to doubt Potters dedication when it comes to the FA Cup, despite getting knocked out by Wednesday (yeah that was horrible), United and Spurs. He loves that cup.

His results as a cup manager are probably one of the reasons Bloom actually hired him the first time around. Winning the cup with Östersund, taking them to Europe knocking out several big European teams and winning away at the Emirates in the same cup. Reaching the quarter final in the FA Cup in his season with Swansea, going out with 2-3 after conceding a incorrect penalty and an offside goal.

But yeah, cup results could have been better under Potter, absolutely. I think if you ask him about it he'd say not doing better in the cups was his biggest regret/disappoinment. The results definitely weren't great under RDZ either though, with the win against Liverpool really being the only noteworthy one.
Overall, no matter who we appoint, there's definitely room for improvement when it comes to the cups.

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
No, However if we get the appointment wrong then there's always a possibility.
Hence why we are taking our time in making sure we get it right to suit our club, it takes time but we must get it right.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
No doubt is the two wins against PL opposition in the four domestic cups with RDZ in charge a step up from the quite dire cup results under Potter.
But no need to doubt Potters dedication when it comes to the FA Cup, despite getting knocked out by Wednesday (yeah that was horrible), United and Spurs. He loves that cup.

His results as a cup manager are probably one of the reasons Bloom actually hired him the first time around. Winning the cup with Östersund, taking them to Europe knocking out several big European teams and winning away at the Emirates in the same cup. Reaching the quarter final in the FA Cup in his season with Swansea, going out with 2-3 after conceding a incorrect penalty and an offside goal.

But yeah, cup results could have been better under Potter, absolutely. I think if you ask him about it he'd say not doing better in the cups was his biggest regret/disappoinment. The results definitely weren't great under RDZ either though, with the win against Liverpool really being the only noteworthy one.
Overall, no matter who we appoint, there's definitely room for improvement when it comes to the cups.
Is there anything he can't do... we never got knocked out the FA Cup by United with Potter. This is literally re-writing history. We all remember VIlla in the cup, that was pitiful. The results under RDZ got us within a penalty or two of our first FA Cup final in 40 years, to describe that as 'not great' is revisionary to delusion.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
It completely depends on the appointment. We have a very good squad - and with players returning from injury we should be absolutely fine. But get the appointment wrong and who knows.

Do this poll after we've got a new manager!

agree. it’s massive. exactly why i find that line in the naylor article so strange saying “if TB decides potter is the right man then that should be enough to assure the fans” or something along those lines.

i get where he’s coming from, and i’d most likely trust any decision tony makes, but he’s not god! hyypia happened, he does get things wrong from time to time!

it seems to me to be a bit of a contradiction, as the same people who call other fans entitled for wanting more/different signings will be the same ones saying that there’s no way tony could ever get anything wrong and no chance we will be relegated. sounds like complacency to me, a sentiment which i’m sure tony does not share

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
I’m remaining optimistic.

There will be good reasons (other than we probably did try to go for Kieran McK) for the delay in the appointment of whoever will be our next manager.

I think we will get someone decent (and currently not being majorly talked about) who will take the squad forward.

I also think the playing squad will be sculpted. I don’t think TB and PB have changed their strategy but I do think there will be more coins in the coffers for players in. And several need to go. A mini overhaul if you like but only once new manager is in post.

As we all know, TB is a businessman but also a fan. He will want continued growth and success.

As Mr Michael Adams was fond of saying “Keep The Faith”.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Be in absolutely no doubt - we are already in a relegation battle. The signs have been there for the last 3 months.

We have to get off to a good start.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Is there anything he can't do... we never got knocked out the FA Cup by United with Potter. This is literally re-writing history. We all remember VIlla in the cup, that was pitiful. The results under RDZ got us within a penalty or two of our first FA Cup final in 40 years, to describe that as 'not great' is revisionary to delusion.
Villa and not United then, ok.
As I said, the Liverpool win was great but aside from that nearly every manager in the English league system would have cruised through that cup run. Thinking that beating one PL-team, two Championship teams and a League One team is some sort of amazing achievement is either deluded or tragic.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Villa and not United then, ok.
As I said, the Liverpool win was great but aside from that nearly every manager in the English league system would have cruised through that cup run. Thinking that beating one PL-team, two Championship teams and a League One team is some sort of amazing achievement is either deluded or tragic.
If its not an amazing achievement, how come Potter, NEVER achieved it. Losing to, a championship team, one mid table premier league team, and one large premier league team.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
If its not an amazing achievement, how come Potter, NEVER achieved it. Losing to, a championship team, one mid table premier league team, and one large premier league team.
Because you're required to win a couple more of the cup ties to get to a semi-final. Sometimes you play Grimsby in a quarter final, sometimes you play big 6 in the 4th round. Sometimes you're in bad form when the cup comes along, sometimes you're in great form. Sometimes you win an amazing win against Liverpool, sometimes you give away a win to Wolves. And sometimes you lose to teams like Sheffield Wednesday or Charlton.

Its a good achievement to reach a cup semi but "amazing"? Depends on the circumstances.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Every Albion football thread is going that way currently. This thread should have had absolutely nothing to ignite it again, it’s forward looking and both are gone :shrug:
Back on topic. IF we lose Gross I think we are in serious trouble, a big rebuild is needed all round IMO. We have a big rebuild job this Summer IMO, manager in quickly to steady the ship.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
All I said was that I didn't think Potter had a very good record in the cups :lolol:, he didn't.
No, he didn't, although my recollection is that the teams he put out for the FA Cup at least looked about as strong as could be hoped for and then just played like shit.

Whether that's a point in his favour is obviously debatable. Although, to be clear, not a debate I'm interested in having. :lolol:

I'm still not sure what it has to do with our chances of being relegated next season though. I just flicked back through the thread and it reads like a completely different thread's been merged into this one. I'm the last person to complain about a thread going off topic to be clear, it just seemed odd.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Genuinely not sure how that's even happened given the notional thread topic.
Someone thought "hmm this looks like a thread about the former manager and his cup runs". But I agree it with you that it isn't, and will go back to topic.

Flounce

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2006
Back on topic. IF we lose Gross I think we are in serious trouble, a big rebuild is needed all round IMO.

One player, who went right off the boil last season does not make a team. The Gross of last season was not great and losing him does not mean we go down. Get a grip guys!!

His set pieces were shit too! Loved it when Barco started taking them, immediately more threatening

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here