Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Apple TV

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'll be interested in how you get on.
There are individual episodes explained vids too, but I just waited for the end.

Having just looked and a good way of proving what you're up against, there's also a '81 Severance clues you missed' video.

I probably missed 82 of them!!!!
I liked the ending. Thought the last episode was excellent although I don't think they really needed to bother with the Irving storyline unless that is opening up something later on down the line.

Going to start watching some of these youtube videos to see if I can join some of the dots as I have a million questions in my head. The first one being WTF are the goats all about?

On a completely different vibe I watched all of Shrinking yesterday. Lighthearted, easy watching good fun, few laugh out loud moment.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I enjoyed the opening episodes of Noel Fielding Dick Turpin vehicle. Absolutely no surprises in it at all, just good light hearted Mighty Boosh style comedy. it won't be winning an Emmy anytime soon, but it will keep me amused.

Shirty

Daring to Zlatan
I'm determined to get someone to watch Tehran!
30% subtitles means you have to watch, which probably helps.

It's a really good 'cat and mouse' spy thriller but it's selling point, for me, is that neither protagonist is good/bad so I ended up wanting them both to 'win'.

Shrinking is easily the funniest thing on Apple, as good as series 1 of SH.
The second season of Tehran was the main reason I subscribed to Apple TV having watched the first via some sort of 7 day trial.

I think Apple TV is rapidly becoming my favourite streaming service - I like a bit if Sci-Fi and its got some really good shows of that genre on there, but there is plenty of other really good stuff too (Slow Horses, Blackbird, Severance etc). I've recently accrued brownie points by watching The New Look with Mrs Shirty- its largely about the rise of Christian Dior, but against the background of the German occupation of Paris in WWII and is actually quite interesting and entertaining (although I could never admit that for fear of having said brownie points deducted)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I liked the ending. Thought the last episode was excellent although I don't think they really needed to bother with the Irving storyline unless that is opening up something later on down the line.

Going to start watching some of these youtube videos to see if I can join some of the dots as I have a million questions in my head. The first one being WTF are the goats all about?
I found the 'explained' videos good for 'oh that's why x felt a incongruous at the time'.
On a completely different vibe I watched all of Shrinking yesterday. Lighthearted, easy watching good fun, few laugh out loud moment.
For me it really hit it's stride when the (brilliant) couple next door become more involved.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Series 2 of Loot is starting to be trailered.

It's not that I struggled with S1 but it was a little formulaic.
I remember getting to the Hot Ones episode which was far and away the stand out ep and that carrying me through to the finish.
I would suggest if your still stony faced at the end of that, the show is not for you.

If 'Hot Ones' means nothing then a quick search on The YouTube will prepare you for it.

Last edited:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
This is easily my fav channel now.

With Slow Horses, Severence, Silo and many others and now, thanks to recommendations on here, Tehran which is brilliant.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Looks good, especially if you enjoyed Monsieur Spade.

Starring and executive produced by Farrell, Sugar is a contemporary, unique take on one of the most popular and significant genres in literary, motion picture and television history: the private detective story.

Farrell stars as John Sugar, an American private investigator on the heels of the mysterious disappearance of Olivia Siegel, the beloved granddaughter of legendary Hollywood producer Jonathan Siegel. As Sugar tries to determine what happened to Olivia, he will also unearth Siegel family secrets; some very recent, others long-buried.

5th April.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The first 2 episodes of Manhunt dropped today.
As the title suggests it's the manhunt for John Wilkes Booth.

It's shaping up quite nicely, although it's a story of which I have no knowledge beyond the obvious, so could actually be ploppies for those who know the story as fact.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A huge 2 part documentary on Steve Martin has dropped.

It's a commitment but I'd say worth it, even as someone who's not particularly a fan.

As is customary with these projects, part two is better than part one, but part one does the heavy lifting.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
A huge 2 part documentary on Steve Martin has dropped.

It's a commitment but I'd say worth it, even as someone who's not particularly a fan.

As is customary with these projects, part two is better than part one, but part one does the heavy lifting.
Watched it yesterday, very good and I agree. Fascinating career

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
@keaton with the exception of The Bear and now Shogun (the only 2 shows I watch on Disney) the Apple content is the stuff that rattles around my head the most.

In no particular order Severance, Tehran, Shrinking, Slow Horses even the first 2 series of Lasso all have lingered (Tehran the most).
Hijack being the only 'chewing gum for eyes' show that I stayed with because that was so fun - and bat pooh cra-cra.

As said for me it's definitely quality over quantity, I think now is the only time I have 3 shows running together but that won't be for long.

Manhunt is good but it now feels like it's slowing up a bit.
Sugar I really enjoyed 1 & 2 but have now had that ruined for me.
Loot which I think series 2 has started really well, but I wouldn't blame anyone for not making it through S1.

Clearly paying for a channel you only look at twice a week is problematic, but I just can't drop it after series x of Slow Horses because I get more from the little they show until the next SH trailer, than I do from borrowed Disney, paid for Prime and one off half priced Paramount+ (absolutely not renewing that)

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
@keaton with the exception of The Bear and now Shogun (the only 2 shows I watch on Disney) the Apple content is the stuff that rattles around my head the most.

In no particular order Severance, Tehran, Shrinking, Slow Horses even the first 2 series of Lasso all have lingered (Tehran the most).
Hijack being the only 'chewing gum for eyes' show that I stayed with because that was so fun - and bat pooh cra-cra.

As said for me it's definitely quality over quantity, I think now is the only time I have 3 shows running together but that won't be for long.

Manhunt is good but it now feels like it's slowing up a bit.
Sugar I really enjoyed 1 & 2 but have now had that ruined for me.
Loot which I think series 2 has started really well, but I wouldn't blame anyone for not making it through S1.

Clearly paying for a channel you only look at twice a week is problematic, but I just can't drop it after series x of Slow Horses because I get more from the little they show until the next SH trailer, than I do from borrowed Disney, paid for Prime and one off half priced Paramount+ (absolutely not renewing that)
I had Apple for 4 months, I will get it again when the new Slow Horses get round to watching Severance this time, and see if it's improved but nothing grabbed me, it looked very expensively produced but lacking. And I'd happily sit down and rewatch most Pixar movies than any of the new stuff that pops up on Netflix and Apple and seems to take 8 hours to tell a simple story

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm waiting for Severance Season 2, at which point I will resubscribe.

The finale of Severance Season 1 was possibly the best hour (or however long) of telly I've watched since the first time watching through Season 4 of Breaking Bad.

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Mick Herron, the multi-award-winning writer behind the Slough House novels and subsequent Slow Horses series on Apple TV+, is getting another of his books adapted for TV.

Down Cemetery Road will star Emma Thompson and Ruth Wilson:)love::love::love:), no less, again for Apple TV+.

When a house explodes in a quiet Oxford suburb and a girl disappears in the aftermath, Sarah Tucker (Wilson) – a young married woman, bored and unhappy with domestic life – becomes obsessed with finding her.

Accustomed to dull chores in a childless household and hosting her husband’s wearisome business clients for dinner, Sarah suddenly finds herself questioning everything she thought she knew as her investigation reveals that people long believed dead are still among the living, while the living are fast joining the dead. What begins in a peaceful neighbourhood reaches its climax on a remote, unwelcoming Scottish island as the search puts Sarah in league with a man being hunted down by murderous official forces.

Thompson will play private investigator Zoe Boehm, while Morwenna Banks will adapt for TV.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Mick Herron, the multi-award-winning writer behind the Slough House novels and subsequent Slow Horses series on Apple TV+, is getting another of his books adapted for TV.

Down Cemetery Road will star Emma Thompson and Ruth Wilson:)love::love::love:), no less, again for Apple TV+.

When a house explodes in a quiet Oxford suburb and a girl disappears in the aftermath, Sarah Tucker (Wilson) – a young married woman, bored and unhappy with domestic life – becomes obsessed with finding her.

Accustomed to dull chores in a childless household and hosting her husband’s wearisome business clients for dinner, Sarah suddenly finds herself questioning everything she thought she knew as her investigation reveals that people long believed dead are still among the living, while the living are fast joining the dead. What begins in a peaceful neighbourhood reaches its climax on a remote, unwelcoming Scottish island as the search puts Sarah in league with a man being hunted down by murderous official forces.

Thompson will play private investigator Zoe Boehm, while Morwenna Banks will adapt for TV.
Sold

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Looks good, especially if you enjoyed Monsieur Spade.

Starring and executive produced by Farrell, Sugar is a contemporary, unique take on one of the most popular and significant genres in literary, motion picture and television history: the private detective story.

Farrell stars as John Sugar, an American private investigator on the heels of the mysterious disappearance of Olivia Siegel, the beloved granddaughter of legendary Hollywood producer Jonathan Siegel. As Sugar tries to determine what happened to Olivia, he will also unearth Siegel family secrets; some very recent, others long-buried.

5th April.

Anyone tried this yet. I think it's super?

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...farrell-private-detective-drama-is-a-disaster

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Created by Katie Robbins, Apple TV+ has announced Sunny starring Emmy Award nominee Rashida Jones.

Sunny stars Jones as Suzie, an American woman living in Kyoto, Japan, whose life is upended when her husband and son disappear in a mysterious plane crash. As ‘consolation’ she’s given Sunny, one of a new class of domestic robots made by her husband’s electronics company. Though at first, Suzie resents Sunny’s attempts to fill the void in her life, gradually they develop an unexpected friendship. Together they uncover the dark truth of what really happened to Suzie’s family and become dangerously enmeshed in a world Suzie never knew existed.

The cast also includes Hidetoshi Nishijima, Joanna Sotomura, Judy Ongg, and Jun Kunimura.

Apple says that the series will premiere on 10th July.

041824_ap.jpg

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Surprised at that as our tastes seem very similar. I enjoyed series 1 a lot, but the first ep of the second series was dire. Gave up on it.

Have you watched Girls5eva on Netflix (I think)? Laughed more at that than any other programme recently. Ho Spice in the final series keeps making me smile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here