Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Anyone tried Football Index?

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I miss Celebdaq and Sportsdaq, both were run by the BBC, it was free to play and run the same way as Football index. You started off with a virtual £500, the you would invest, dividends played weekly. When you made a million you would get a millionaire symbol, £5m= mansion and so on.
When the BBC stopped it, I had made over £180million in symbols. BBC use to dedicate a show to it as it was that popular. Over 40 million people played on line.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Never invested a penny - Couldn't get my head around how everyone seemed to be making money which as the saying go "if it's too good to be true it probably is" 2 unrelated points :

1. The most I've seen is someone on Twitter who had 65K in there. Shit the bed.
2. The Gambling commission has been warned by people in the industry that it was basically a Ponzi scheme. They ignored it. It's stuff like this which gives the industry a bad name.

In laymans terms, it is like the Stock market wiping 80% of the value off everything so no matter what portfolio you have, you will be down.

Prophetic words.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I have about £40 in it, obviously won't see it again. As soon as I joined it seemed like a scam anyway, they make it very difficult for you to sell or cash in your imaginary shares.
Lesson learned I guess.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I miss Celebdaq and Sportsdaq, both were run by the BBC, it was free to play and run the same way as Football index. You started off with a virtual £500, the you would invest, dividends played weekly. When you made a million you would get a millionaire symbol, £5m= mansion and so on.
When the BBC stopped it, I had made over £180million in symbols. BBC use to dedicate a show to it as it was that popular. Over 40 million people played on line.

I liked it too, don’t know why it was stopped - seemed very popular

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Just found this

https://www.celebdaq.co.uk/

Looks like somebody has restarted it

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I cant believe they were allowed to use terminology like 'Shares' and 'Dividends' which meant people likely associated it to legitimate markets and assets rather than the fictional gambling game it really was.

Had all the hallmarks of a scandal from day one.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I cant believe they were allowed to use terminology like 'Shares' and 'Dividends' which meant people likely associated it to legitimate markets and assets rather than the fictional gambling game it really was.

Very much this. Plot has also thickened today, with the revelation that The Gambling Commission were thoroughly briefed on all the risks and concerns as far back as Jan 2020. But continued to allow TFI to continue on regardless.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...index-gambling-commission-warned-january-2020

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

What did people think they were buying “shares” in exactly?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here