Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone know what TWR and EXS are on Alamo car rental agreement?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I had a little incident with my hire car on a narrow road in Marseille when we got a little bit lost, resulting in our nearly-new car not being quite to pristine when I returned it. :oops:

I took out some extra protection/insurance which I believe, at the very least, reduces what it will cost me, and I'm hoping it will actually be reduced to literally nothing.

However, I can't find details of the optional protections - TWR and EXS - anywhere via Google at all.

Anyone know?

Screenshot 2023-10-07 at 11.45.03.png

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
EXS could be your excess- what you have to pay before you’re covered. It’s a guess though

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I had a little incident with my hire car on a narrow road in Marseille when we got a little bit lost, resulting in our nearly-new car not being quite to pristine when I returned it. :oops:

I took out some extra protection/insurance which I believe, at the very least, reduces what it will cost me, and I'm hoping it will actually be reduced to literally nothing.

However, I can't find details of the optional protections - TWR and EXS - anywhere via Google at all.

Anyone know?

View attachment 167768
Just about to head off to Nimes airport in our Alamo fiat 500 (luckily with no damage thus far)

We took the optional excess insurance only, whilst I cannot be 100% sure of what you've done, looking at similar daily cost, I'm pretty sure the EXS is the excess reduction insurance in your case to take excess from 1500 euros to zero (thus you shouldnt be charged extra for your accident), and that excess to zero doesn't include some things, which you have to pay a few quid more for to include.

Reasonably sure the T is tyres, the W is windows or wrong fuel, not sure on the R?

Screenshot_20231007_144917_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231007_144956_Chrome.jpg

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
As they are under the heading 'Optional Protections', and you took out a comprehensive package, I'd speculate that TWR is a Theft Waiver. Equally, could be Tyres/Windows/Replacement Key.

and EXS an Excess Waiver.

So hopefully you'll not be charged anything extra.

Vin

Jun 12, 2021

Anyone know?

View attachment 167768
Check the T&C’s for the coverage on EXS as it’s usually a proportion of damage to different parts of the car. I got charged £340 for a little scrape in Italy this year.

papachris

For future reference. I strongly recommend taking out your own car rental insurance. I hire cars quite often but actually I am in plus normally after only one trip.
I pay £45 per year for the insurance which covers you and any named driver on the policy for unlimited hires up to a maximum of 6 months for a single hire.
I then pay only the basic price of the hire which saves me much more than I paid for the annual insurance.
Basically if there is a mishap and you lose your deposit to the hire company it can be claimed back from your own insurance

BeardyChops

Jan 24, 2009
Bard says:

TWR stands for Tire and Wheel Protection and EXS stands for Excess Sidewall Protection. Both of these are optional damage waiver products that can be purchased when renting a car from Alamo.

TWR covers the cost of repairing or replacing a damaged or lost tire or wheel, while EXS covers the cost of repairing or replacing a damaged sidewall on a tire.

Which sounds the sort of way rental companies would charge different fees for slightly different things!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
For future reference. I strongly recommend taking out your own car rental insurance. I hire cars quite often but actually I am in plus normally after only one trip.
I pay £45 per year for the insurance which covers you and any named driver on the policy for unlimited hires up to a maximum of 6 months for a single hire.
I then pay only the basic price of the hire which saves me much more than I paid for the annual insurance.
Basically if there is a mishap and you lose your deposit to the hire company it can be claimed back from your own insurance
Please could you post a link to company/plan you use as this sounds very handy. Thanks

papachris

Please could you post a link to company/plan you use as this sounds very handy. Thanks

I just checked. Last time I paid £69.50 for a year's cover. Still pretty good I think.

I have the annual deluxe cover. Covering all of Europe including my country of residence (Estonia)

kelvinnewman

Aug 17, 2023
Bard says:

TWR stands for Tire and Wheel Protection and EXS stands for Excess Sidewall Protection. Both of these are optional damage waiver products that can be purchased when renting a car from Alamo.

TWR covers the cost of repairing or replacing a damaged or lost tire or wheel, while EXS covers the cost of repairing or replacing a damaged sidewall on a tire.

Which sounds the sort of way rental companies would charge different fees for slightly different things!
If that's the case 22 euros to insure the side walls but 7 euros to insure the wheels feels a bit unbalanced to me?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here