Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anyone got a Hive thermostat (and valves)

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I was interested in ordering the Hive system, but when speaking to an agent it became clear that the £190 for the Hive Active heating was just the start, and that i'd have to fork out a further £199 for 5 valves. Alternatively i could order the 5 valves and a hub for just £259 - but this seems like a fancy version of what i have now - a thermostat and adjustable valves (just not digital valves)

Is it worth it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
£190, £199 and £259 for a Hive system? You’ve been stung mate.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I have Hive, think it's great. You don't need to buy the valves though. Since I've been working from home I only set the heating to come on once in the morning then use boosts if and when required. Reckon it's saved me a ton of money.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Thanks all. I'm not very techy so its all a bit info overload. I have no idea so i'll stick with my current digi thermostat and old fashioned radiator valves.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I have Hive, think it's great. You don't need to buy the valves though. Since I've been working from home I only set the heating to come on once in the morning then use boosts if and when required. Reckon it's saved me a ton of money.

A tonne of coins or a tonne of £ notes?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Thanks all. I'm not very techy so its all a bit info overload. I have no idea so i'll stick with my current digi thermostat and old fashioned radiator valves.

You don't need new valves, it will work just fine with your existing. I'm a bit evangelical about Hive (or whichever other platform), it will pay for itself pretty quickly....

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
You don't need new valves, it will work just fine with your existing. I'm a bit evangelical about Hive (or whichever other platform), it will pay for itself pretty quickly....

i was mainly interested in the zonal temperature capability. We live in a 3 story house - living quarters ground floor, which is cold, kids rooms on the middle floor and the wife and I 's room on the top floor. As heat rises i need warmth downstairs, and little up upstairs. Have decided i can do that by turning the radiators off upstairs and hey-ho I've saved hundreds.
That said, despite being non-techy, i love a gadget and would love to be convinced that it's worth it. I just haven't been yet.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Good idea. You need to bee careful when investing in new tech.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
i was mainly interested in the zonal temperature capability. We live in a 3 story house - living quarters ground floor, which is cold, kids rooms on the middle floor and the wife and I 's room on the top floor. As heat rises i need warmth downstairs, and little up upstairs. Have decided i can do that by turning the radiators off upstairs and hey-ho I've saved hundreds.
That said, despite being non-techy, i love a gadget and would love to be convinced that it's worth it. I just haven't been yet.

If your house actually has 'zones' then the pipework will already be there but you would have to buy 2 hive thermostats and receivers to make it work. That's how we're setup with an upstairs and downstairs zones. Obviously that's going to cost a bit for the additional devices but the labour costs would be minimal. I suspect that you mean room thermostats though, they may be cheaper but probably a bit more labour - I'm not a plumber, just going on the bits I know about!

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I've fitted loads of HIVES for people in the past.
The valves are a bit gimmicky, they are a good idea in principle, but you tend to get the TRVs and the main stat fighting against each other and it can all get a bit...well, messy.
I am a bit of a HIVE junky though, I have interior and exterior cameras, door sensors and every light bulb in the house is a HIVE.
You can set routines...for example you can set up your lights to come on when a certain action is performed, or make it appear that you are walking round the house when you're away to fool the bad guys.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've fitted loads of HIVES for people in the past.
The valves are a bit gimmicky, they are a good idea in principle, but you tend to get the TRVs and the main stat fighting against each other and it can all get a bit...well, messy.
I am a bit of a HIVE junky though, I have interior and exterior cameras, door sensors and every light bulb in the house is a HIVE.
You can set routines...for example you can set up your lights to come on when a certain action is performed, or make it appear that you are walking round the house when you're away to fool the bad guys.

Similar, I've just gone with SmartThings. I've got standard non PIR floodlights with Zigbee relay switches, connected to a Hue sensor that's about 50 yards up the driveway. So handy just to have the sensor active when you want it to be, ie. Not in the middle of the night! I guess it's a money thing but surprising that Hive have gone out on their own despite using the same protocols...

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Similar, I've just gone with SmartThings. I've got standard non PIR floodlights with Zigbee relay switches, connected to a Hue sensor that's about 50 yards up the driveway. So handy just to have the sensor active when you want it to be, ie. Not in the middle of the night! I guess it's a money thing but surprising that Hive have gone out on their own despite using the same protocols...

I still think it's great that the hallway and bathroom light come on when I open my bedroom door.
Definition of laziness I know...but so cool :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here