Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Anyone else going to watch the England game ONLY if Moder is playing

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm not sure you and a few others get it.

Correct, Potter is not naturally cautious. But would he be managing the best PL stars there are in the glare of a World Cup with scumbags like The Sun on his case every two minutes?

Knowing GP, probably not but you don't know that and I don't know that.

Fundamentally this is not a "Potter In / Out" question in any way though. As explained countless times on this thread I find it odd that people, especially English ones, can take against Team England but be fervently behind Team Brighton when they have a similar ethos.

I am much older than you! I was SO much a fervent England fan back in the day, I can accept that my local team are a bit shit but given the riches of players we have I can no longer accept that my national team are such under achievers, and it is 100% down to the managers we keep picking. I gave up when Clough was considered too controversial, since then the FA can feck off for me, hence my disinterest in England. :shrug:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I am much older than you! I was SO much a fervent England fan back in the day, I can accept that my local team are a bit shit but given the riches of players we have I can no longer accept that my national team are such under achievers, and it is 100% down to the managers we keep picking. I gave up when Clough was considered too controversial, since then the FA can feck off for me, hence my disinterest in England. :shrug:

Jeez, you hold a grudge

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Jeez, you hold a grudge

Nope straws and camel’s backs. I quite enjoyed Robson, Venables and Hoddle’s England teams in fairness.

Keegan, Capello, The Swede (negative ****) Hodgson, Allardyce, McClaren and Southgate. Nah , feck off

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Yep, that’s about where I am.

I do wonder if some of the anti England posters on here were more passionate about England when Albion were crap and picking up loanees from Barnet, etc rather than being in the PL, at the Amex and signing players for £ms. I like Southgate (there I’ve said it) and sympathise with the way PL managers treat him. He has forged a great relationship with the likes of Maguire and Kane who love their country and won’t let him down. I don’t blame him for sticking with them.

Southgate’s been excellent for England and deserved the credit and waistcoats in the WC - even the atomic kitten song. Yes, I feel Dunk should be in the squad but it won’t make me rewrite what I’ve seen and I can get over that. Not the fashionable thing to say on here but I’ll join you in appreciating the man who’s not lost a qualifier, came 3rd in the nations league beating Spain away etc and got us to the World Cup semis - playing great football - sue me...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Pleased for Moder. Even more pleased that England won.

I can't be arsed to wade through every post on this thread but I find the (English) anti England attitude strange. I support England for the same reasons I support Brighton. It's where I'm from.

Yes there was a time, culminating in the Iceland game, where it was tough going watching England but there have been decades where that's true for the Albion. Doesn't stop me watching or wanting them to win.

As for claims about people having an elevated opinion of our place in world football: who are these people? I don't know anyone who thinks England should win or are favourites for a tournament. Not for at least 15 years. It's true I don't live in England anymore so maybe I'm missing it all and the people I know both back home and here in Japan are just very considered and realistic.

It's not being arrogant to enjoy it when England win or progress to the later stages of a tournament(a la 2018). It's not arrogant to say that we have players who if they played for another country people would be wary about.

I'm not a massive fan of Southgate but I am team England.

The thumbs that these sort of posts get reassure me a lot. I think as usual it’s the ones who want to be different or make a point that post all the time in threads like these. Think most normal football fans (therefore England fans) just don’t bother entering the argument. There was a poster a few pages back who said ‘disappointing result’ then when totally ignored rightly, felt the need to say it again for some attention (again ignored) - baffles me how anyone can want their country to lose because one kid who plays for the Albion was lining up against us - really quite sad eh :lol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The thumbs that these sort of posts get reassure me a lot. I think as usual it’s the ones who want to be different or make a point that post all the time in threads like these. Think most normal football fans (therefore England fans) just don’t bother entering the argument. There was a poster a few pages back who said ‘disappointing result’ then when totally ignored rightly, felt the need to say it again for some attention (again ignored) - baffles me how anyone can want their country to lose because one kid who plays for the Albion was lining up against us - really quite sad eh :lol:

:thumbsup:

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

Well, you got most of that wrong. :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Nope straws and camel’s backs. I quite enjoyed Robson, Venables and Hoddle’s England teams in fairness.

Keegan, Capello, The Swede (negative ****) Hodgson, Allardyce, McClaren and Southgate. Nah , feck off

Assuming you're not also attempting to land a Swedish fish, what, exactly, was negative about Germany 1 England 5 back in 2001?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Assuming you're not also attempting to land a Swedish fish, what, exactly, was negative about Germany 1 England 5 back in 2001?

Rather than one game I was judging him on the actual tournaments, you know where he tried to shoehorn Gerrard and Lampard into midfield whilst exasperating Scholes, better than both of them, so much by playing him as a wide player, that he quit playing for England. He had the Golden Generation and fecked it up every time with his scared tactics, imo

Pretty well all our managers have excelled as flat track qualifying bullies

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Having Southgate in charge of attacking talent like Foden, Rashford, Grealish, Kane, Sterling, Mount, Sancho, Greenwood etc is like putting Roy Hodgson in charge of 1970 Brazil, it makes no difference how shit the manager is when you have attacking talent like that you will win games, the difference maker in the manager is when we come up against decent teams who are around our quality - twice in the last World Cup we lost to Belgium, we threw away a World Cup final spot with the easiest route to a final you could ever wish for after nearly all the top sides bottled it.

Southgate will ultimately be what holds back this fantastic young generation of attacking talent, he’s a man who cannot adapt and relies on setting up solidly and winning games like that, last night was a prime example we won the game via a set piece goal late on, you could see after 60 minutes we needed to freshen up in open play and Southgate is unbearably lucky that a set piece goal spared him questions after the game.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Having Southgate in charge of attacking talent like Foden, Rashford, Grealish, Kane, Sterling, Mount, Sancho, Greenwood etc is like putting Roy Hodgson in charge of 1970 Brazil, it makes no difference how shit the manager is when you have attacking talent like that you will win games, the difference maker in the manager is when we come up against decent teams who are around our quality - twice in the last World Cup we lost to Belgium, we threw away a World Cup final spot with the easiest route to a final you could ever wish for after nearly all the top sides bottled it.

Southgate will ultimately be what holds back this fantastic young generation of attacking talent, he’s a man who cannot adapt and relies on setting up solidly and winning games like that, last night was a prime example we won the game via a set piece goal late on, you could see after 60 minutes we needed to freshen up in open play and Southgate is unbearably lucky that a set piece goal spared him questions after the game.

Here's a fun game. I've called it "Brighton or England". Can you guess which stats belong to which team? In each case Brighton or England are the home team and therefore on the left in lighter blue.

Game 1

game 1.JPG

Game 2

game 2.JPG

Game 3

game 3.JPG

Game 4

game 4.JPG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here