Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any Linux Ubuntu users, Steam beta for download

• Thread starter Deleted member 22389
  • Start date

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Hopefully if it goes well, it'll roll out to more distros (thinking Arch, Gentoo/Sabayon here). Am I tempted to install Mint over my Sabayon install? Probably not, unless I knew the few games I play through Steam would work...

D

Deleted member 22389

I keep meaning to install sabyon linux. Only hear good things about it. Is it based off of ubuntu \ debian and is the gui KDE

Ex-Staffs Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Adelaide, SA
Mint gnome 2/3 and out of the box ubuntu , will ask my son to try it later. Am really looking forward to the next 2-3 years as I think M$ have screwed up with win 8 and there is a big gap..

D

Deleted member 22389

Don't think m$ have got it right for a few years now. They just alienate their poorer customers with forced upgrades. Microsoft will never be able to beat free nor will they be able to keep up with the pace of open source. Been using linux on and off since mandrake 8, it used to take a day to work out how to get your graphics card installed lol. Today everything is done for us. Wireless printer required drivers in win 7 yet on ubuntu 12.10 it found them out of the box and was installed in about 30 seconds.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Don't think m$ have got it right for a few years now. They just alienate their poorer customers with forced upgrades. Microsoft will never be able to beat free nor will they be able to keep up with the pace of open source. Been using linux on and off since mandrake 8, it used to take a day to work out how to get your graphics card installed lol. Today everything is done for us. Wireless printer required drivers in win 7 yet on ubuntu 12.10 it found them out of the box and was installed in about 30 seconds.
Is it an Epson? (Please say yes, please say yes, please say yes...)

D

Deleted member 22389

It was an hp printer unfortunately

kano

Jun 17, 2011
Will download this on my ultrabook just to show support for the project. Not ready to give up my windows on my gaming pc yet. Even if they get some games running I doubt they'll have all the fancy shaders and lighting effects provided by DirectX. :(

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I keep meaning to install sabyon linux. Only hear good things about it. Is it based off of ubuntu \ debian and is the gui KDE

I've been using it now for about a year. Used to use Arch, but one upgrade broke the system (the perils of bleeding edge).

Sabayon is from Italy and is based on gentoo (without the endless compiling). It's a rolling release like Arch and I have gnome3 as my gui - have never really got on with kde, not since the late 90's, lol. So far, I've found it stable and usable. I do dual boot with win 7 (for playing games) and so far have felt no compelling reason to move away.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here