Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Any car mechanics / Bluetooth people please….

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Just bought a second hand car and got a problem with audio.
Everything works fine until I plug the charger lead into the phone via the car USB socket, then Bluetooth loses connectivity.
It’s a second car and 2015 plate.
My main car is 2022 and I don’t have this problem.
I’m guessing there’s a connectivity conflict between wired and Bluetooth going on??
Would the problem solve itself if I plugged the lead into one of those adaptors that goes in the 12v supply socket thingys?
Ta

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Check on the audio unit whether “aux” gives you the option of wired or Bluetooth, on my Nissan the Bluetooth stops if I connect an iPhone, but can be restarted again by going to “Aux” and selecting Bluetooth as the preferred input.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
29drw8mn5sq21.jpg

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Older car is probably programmed to assume you want to synch your device with the car audio rather than charge it, so it switches to the wired connection instead of bluetooth. Might be an ‘ipod’ option that’s selectable on the car if you want to play stuff that’s on the phone ?

….and yes, plug the phone into a 12v usb adaptor and it should work !

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Older car is probably programmed to assume you want to synch your device with the car audio rather than charge it, so it switches to the wired connection instead of bluetooth. Might be an ‘ipod’ option that’s selectable on the car if you want to play stuff that’s on the phone ?

….and yes, plug the phone into a 12v usb adaptor and it should work !
Thanks dazzer, ordered one for a tenner off Amazon.
Tried the ‘linked device’ option and was the same so assumed there was a connectivity conflict going on.
If it doesn’t work, it’s a tenner

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Tried the ‘linked device’ option and was the same so assumed there was a connectivity conflict going on.
My car (Evoque) does the same. I have to select the aux button on the screen and select it back to Bluetooth option. Took me a while to work it out.

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
Just a general word of warning about stuff from Amazon, it can often be janky fake stuff so I wouldn’t leave the plug in the cigarette lighter when you aren’t in the car - just pull it out and you are guaranteed it is safe.

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
My car (Evoque) does the same. I have to select the aux button on the screen and select it back to Bluetooth option. Took me a while to work it out.
I don’t have an aux button (Mercedes).
Once Bluetooth has disconnected, I can go to media settings and connect Bluetooth again but it just keeps disconnecting until I remove the charging lead. It does the same when I play through a lead connected device rather than Bluetooth too. Tried both USB ports and new leads, so there must be a conflict. I’ll see how I get on charging through the 12v socket.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I don’t have an aux button (Mercedes).
Once Bluetooth has disconnected, I can go to media settings and connect Bluetooth again but it just keeps disconnecting until I remove the charging lead. It does the same when I play through a lead connected device rather than Bluetooth too. Tried both USB ports and new leads, so there must be a conflict. I’ll see how I get on charging through the 12v socket.
Do you an iPhone? If so turn CarPlay off in settings

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
My Volkswagon Tiguan changes the channel on the radio if I do a swift left turn…. It’s annoying….. I went from Bairstow cutting loose on radio 5 live to female genital mutilation in Nigeria

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Honda Civic here and it does exactly the same.

I think the car "assumes" that when I plug the phone in, I want it to be connected to the car with that, rather than via Bluetooth.

The factory-supplied stereo has a button that cycles through Radio, Bluetooth, USB and possibly something else.

NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Honda Civic here and it does exactly the same.

I think the car "assumes" that when I plug the phone in, I want it to be connected to the car with that, rather than via Bluetooth.

The factory-supplied stereo has a button that cycles through Radio, Bluetooth, USB and possibly something else.
Does yours play through the usb though?
Mine won’t play anything if the lead is plugged in.
Well, it does but keeps dropping out

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
My car did this and it got right on my tits. I did as you suggested. I bought a USB charger that went in the ciggy lighter and used that as the charging port instead of the custom one in the car and it was problem solved.

I'm sure there is a better solution out there but i've learnt after 25 years in IT that once you have something that works, it's best to just leave it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here