Another NYC advice thread *sorry*

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Hello! We are staying 6 nights next week, leaving tomorrow from Heathrow. Staying tomorrow night near JFK in Best Western before travelling to Midtown to our "main" hotel the Casablanca (third stay with them).

My question is about the trip from JFK to midtown on Sunday morning. In past we've got a cab (which has just gone up to $70 flat rate) or the express bus service (about $25 each from memory). Seriously looking at the Air Train to Jamaica then Long Island railroad as its a fraction of the price and seems a good service.

Anyone have any experience of this or tips?

Thanks again

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Hello! We are staying 6 nights next week, leaving tomorrow from Heathrow. Staying tomorrow night near JFK in Best Western before travelling to Midtown to our "main" hotel the Casablanca (third stay with them).

My question is about the trip from JFK to midtown on Sunday morning. In past we've got a cab (which has just gone up to $70 flat rate) or the express bus service (about $25 each from memory). Seriously looking at the Air Train to Jamaica then Long Island railroad as its a fraction of the price and seems a good service.

Anyone have any experience of this or tips?

Thanks again

I got back last week and the flat rate was $52 plus toll plus any tip. So not sure where you are getting your info from. unless you are calling it 70$ all included.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I got back last week and the flat rate was $52 plus toll plus any tip. So not sure where you are getting your info from. unless you are calling it 70$ all included.

Indeed I am - I always prefer to look at the "real" costs all-in. E.g theatre = ticket plus brochure + possible drink...

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, ees fine. Long Island railroad is swish.

Are their Sundays as shit as ours train wise? :lol:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I got the airtrain to Jamaica and subway to our hotel (near Times Square) it was no hassle at all. We bought 7 day subway passes which were about $30 each so not sure about single journey. Airtrain was $5 each.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Indeed I am - I always prefer to look at the "real" costs all-in. E.g theatre = ticket plus brochure + possible drink...

- - - Updated - - -

Are their Sundays as shit as ours train wise? :lol:

On the Sunday I left the entire city was living in fear of the oncoming hurricane I was escaping from, and it still ran as rapidly as a caffeined rat.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I got the airtrain to Jamaica and subway to our hotel (near Times Square) it was no hassle at all. We bought 7 day subway passes which were about $30 each so not sure about single journey. Airtrain was $5 each.

This. Think it's the A-train from Jamaica? It's cool as you see the skyline from a distance, but then lose sight, get the full-on impact of just emerging into the Midtown madness straight away.

Have a great time - and eat loads of street food.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada

Yup that's what we did too. AirTrain cost about $5 and we also bought a metrocard which gave us unlimited subway use. A tad more difficult than using the London Underground as you have trains that stop at all stations and express trains that don't. Much better value (and a lot more fun) than getting a taxi.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports