Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Anne Williams

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We watched all four episodes on Monday. It was a hard watch but one that every football fan should see.
Brilliantly written and portrayed.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Anne

Just finished watching this four-part drama on ITV based on real events relating to the Hillsborough tragedy and a mother's fight for justice for her son, Kevin Williams, 15, who was one of the 97 tragic victims on that terribly dreadful day.

Every episode was powerful, well acted and extremely emotional. Anne never gave up and achieved so much in the face of adversity in trying to get the government, both Labour and Conservative, to find answers and prosecute those at Hillsborough who should have been looking after those poor 97 souls who went to a football match and never came home.

After 23 years, cancer finally took Anne with a broken heart but never giving up the fight to the end for her beloved son. Nearly a quarter of a century in her quest for the truth. How could anyone remain that strong?

For anyone that hasn't watched it, I would strongly recommend Anne on catch-up. I hope she has found her little boy in heaven. What an incredible woman. RIP. :angel:

Amexarmadillo

Dec 22, 2021
I just can’t watch those sort of dramas on TV. Just find them too upsetting. Still shocking no justice has been done for those poor souls.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Was very moving. Can still recall watching events unfold on Grandstand all those years ago. Chilling.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I watched E1 and E2 tonight. As others have said, powerful and moving, and brilliantly acted. I'm also about 3/4 of the way through the Phil Scraton book Hillsborough - The Truth. It's such a tough read, from the visceral, detailed accounts of the survivors who got out of that central pen alive, to the heartbreaking, fearful journeys made by the families to Sheffield that night, with them being passed from pillar to post, the boys club to the hospitals to the temporary mortuary in the gym at the stadium, just desperate for information. Its absolutely gut-wrenching, an unimaginable horror for those poor people to go through.

I'd say I've been a bit scared twice at a game. One was in the North Stand at the Goldstone, in the FA Cup replay against Liverpool. It was absolutely rammed, shoulder-to-shoulder, and as the goals went in, I had absolutely no control of where I was going. And it WAS uncomfortable, there was a feeling of being crushed. But I was young, and the euphoria of the game just took over so you just went with it.

Another time, I can't recall the year, was at Fratton Park when it was still a terrace behind the goal. It was a midweek game I think, and we were seriously packed in, must've been 3,000. There were the usual wire fences all across the front, with a single exit gate at the front no wider than a standard doorway. It either got opened, or was forced open and some fans got out. Again, it was getting seriously uncomfortable in there.

But in my naivity, I simply trusted that nothing BAD could happen. The authorities and people in charge had this all under control....right ?

Christ.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Dreadful times. Hopefully never to be repeated. Football followers should not be treated like scum.

And those who still wallow in the punchy past can do one, too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here